PDA

View Full Version : Where's techno going in 2011?

SlavikSvensk
22-12-2010, 10:13 AM
to reclaiming its rightful place at the center of all electronic music? to the dustbin of history? to more and more scene-oriented sub-genres? to new, sub-genre-rejecting syntheses? back to the past? back to the future? etc.

Numeric
22-12-2010, 10:51 AM
not sure where it's heading as such but this last year has been fairly amazing for techno, so many quality releases from so many quality producers

techno has truly gotten back to basics and musically, couldn't be in better health

the likes of dvs1, ben klock, james ruskin and marcel dettmann are really flying the flag at the moment, and there are so many others that i could mention

it makes me laugh so hard when people start moaning because one of their techno sub genres has run its natural course and become stale, whilst real techno continues almost completely oblivious :rusmile:

SlavikSvensk
22-12-2010, 11:27 AM
totally agree on the dvs1 stuff, though i still haven't picked up the single on transmat. the dettmann and klock albums were great too (though klock's was in late 2009).

Numeric
22-12-2010, 11:48 AM
with regard to klock, i was referring more to the recent releases on ostgut ton and klockworks, the tracks on the b-sides inparticular, just straight quality techno

the first remix he did of 'virton upgraded' is class too

edit: his berghain mix cd is really worth looking at also

DannyBlack
22-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Well, from my perspective Techno is going to be pretty damn solid for 2011. We have some ridiculously good releases planned for DirtyBass Recordings come the new year. I will of course, keep you updated!

SlavikSvensk
22-12-2010, 12:52 PM
with regard to klock, i was referring more to the recent releases on ostgut ton and klockworks, the tracks on the b-sides inparticular, just straight quality techno

the first remix he did of 'virton upgraded' is class too

edit: his berghain mix cd is really worth looking at also

yep, pretty much everything he's put out in the past few years is quality IMO.

Well, from my perspective Techno is going to be pretty damn solid for 2011. We have some ridiculously good releases planned for DirtyBass Recordings come the new year. I will of course, keep you updated!

shameless plug!

but seriously...what kind of stuff?

DannyBlack
22-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Indeed :-) - but I can only comment on Techno from my perspective at the moment-

Well at the moment we have some Dark, chunky Techno on the way. A nice mixture between old and new. No previews as of yet.

I will send you a PM a bit later because I don't want to reveal too much at this time.

Mattias_Fridell
22-12-2010, 04:39 PM
whilst real techno continues

Truth. Seems 2011 will continue in this fashion, hopefully.
For me personally I got lots of new stuff coming out next year down the dirty, crunchy path. Sometimes dubby, sometimes sterile and clinic funk, as well as all of my upcoming spacey sci-fi tunes. Not a single track above 130, maybe with the exception of some tracks still looking for release dates.

Danny; would love to hear some of the upcoming stuff going out on Dirty Bass.

MITA
22-12-2010, 05:51 PM
better post sound then words here?
also artists post you own.

where is techno going... to hell, thats where.
it can not go, as it has no feet. :doh:

markandrew
22-12-2010, 07:25 PM
2010 has seen some of the best techno ever you just gotta dig deep which is part of the fun bring on 2011 :rubiggrin:

SlavikSvensk
23-12-2010, 04:09 AM
I think techno is healthier now that some of the faddish scenes (minimal, dubstep, etc.) have grown less faddish and scene-driven, and more in the music's overall sonic vocabulary. I like when stuff gets jumbled up and repurposed; I hate scenes and sub-genres. I hope 2011 brings more recombination and less balkanization.

blistanbul
23-12-2010, 04:32 AM
good topic, will share my ideas later.

eppertheleper
23-12-2010, 06:22 AM
I've really enjoyed some of the slower bpm tracks recently that manage to retain a sharp edge. Len Faki does this very well and the last Oniks release had some of the hardest 128 bpm material I've ever heard. I hold out hope that if the minimal leanings of the last five years can't be stamped out, at least tracks like that can begin to pull its devotees in the right direction.

As to real bangers? I believe rumors of their death have been greatly exaggerated. A lot of quality came out last year. There may have been more "middle-of-the-road" tracks released than ever that don't really stand out, but there was a fair amount of quality.

SlavikSvensk
23-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Just picked up the DVS1 single on Transmat ("Pressure/Polyphonic Love").

AWESOME.

Numeric
23-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Just picked up the DVS1 single on Transmat ("Pressure/Polyphonic Love").

AWESOME.

it's a beauty isn't it, my mrs loves 'pressure' and she doesn't really like techno

amazing stuff from dvs1, look out for his remix on one the latest perc releases :rueek:

Esox Lucius
23-12-2010, 06:13 PM
the algarve, all inclusive.

MITA
23-12-2010, 06:20 PM
my mrs loves 'pressure' and she doesn't really like techno

:rueek:

yeah thats techno dude!!!

The Overfiend
24-12-2010, 05:48 PM
I think 2011 is going to be when people snap out of trends and just start being themselves behind the boards.

MITA
24-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I think 2011 is going to be when people snap out of trends and just start being themselves behind the boards.

Techno becomes arty. :1244:
i pray for that!

Athar
25-12-2010, 12:30 AM
CLR show it's a techno oracle for me at the moment and i'm really exciting where we all going with.
i can see lot's of potential for my fav genre and i'm sure 2011 will be definitely great year for techno at all.

-LETHAL-ONE-
28-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Techno in California is going back underground again, check out this article on "TheLosAngelesTimes" newspaper.....

Raves would be outlawed at publicly owned venues in California under a proposal made Wednesday by a lawmaker after the death of a teenager and scores of injuries at rave events in Los Angeles and the Bay Area.

Legislation introduced Wednesday by Assemblywoman Fiona Ma (D- San Francisco) would prohibit the dance concerts on public property, including the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, where a June rave sent dozens to hospitals, including a 15-year old girl, who died.

Ma's bill would also ban raves on private property unless a business owner had a license to host such an event.

"Raves foster an environment that threatens the health and safety of our youth," Ma said. She called her bill, AB 74, "the first step toward eliminating these dangerous events."

Ma cited the case of high school student Sasha Rodriguez, who died days after falling into a coma after attending the Electric Daisy Carnival at the Coliseum. Dozens of others required medical treatment, and Ma blamed many of the problems on drugs used by those in attendance.

In May, two people died after overdosing at a rave at the state-owned Cow Palace in Daly City, south of San Francisco, and an additional five people were hospitalized, Ma said.

She cited a study by the National Institute on Drug Abuse that found that many teenagers attending raves use so-called club drugs, including Ecstasy, GHB, methamphetamine and LSD.

Rave promoter Jason Sperling of Skills DJ Workshop Inc. denounced the Ma bill as heavy-handed and urged legislators instead to try to deal with the broader issue of drug abuse in society.

"If electronic music is criminalized, our government will succeed in alienating a generation of Californians and simply drive dance parties underground — a less regulated, less safe, less sane situation than we have today," Sperling said in a statement.

Coliseum General Manager Pat Lynch did not return calls seeking comment Wednesday.

Raves are a big money-maker for the Coliseum, which recently lifted a moratorium on the events that was put in place after Sasha's death.

Pasquale Rotella, the promoter of the Electric Daisy Carnival, noted that the Coliseum Commission voted earlier this month to adopt safeguards that include requiring promoters to go before the panel for approval at least 60 days before an event. The Ma bill, he said, "ignores our 1st Amendment rights."

The raves can draw tens of thousands of dancers to enjoy high-volume electronic music, flashy light shows and interactive theatrical performances. The legislation would make it a misdemeanor to hold an event on public property "at night that includes prerecorded music and lasts more than 3 1/2 hours." It would provide for a fine of $10,000 or twice the gross receipts for the event, whichever is greater.

Ma said her proposed regulation is narrowly focused.

"The bill is not intended to impact traditional music concerts and sporting events," she said. "AB 74 is about cracking down on raves that harbor drug use and lead to teenage deaths."

djfilthmonger
28-12-2010, 04:01 PM
hopefully better than it has been in the last 5 years tbh

gunjack
29-12-2010, 12:45 PM
hopefully techno pop it's head out of the sand for long enough to incorporate other influences and change and grow. it's 2011 FFS and people still think bpm is what makes music "techno"

i have heard techno at 70bpm, 100bpm, 190 bpm, 130 bpm, and yes even the dreaded 140 bpm.... i hope that ppl wake up to the fact that ANYTHING can be techno if it has that "techno vibe" you know what the **** i mean...

YouTube - Coil - The Snow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOUq7YZYUK8)
YouTube - Bandulu - Revelation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPASqvAz_ZM)
YouTube - The Higher Intelligence Agency - Ketamine Entity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rw3ZBRtb7U)
YouTube - surgeon & james ruskin - sound pressure (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAslZ-_9cr0)
YouTube - Martyn - Broken (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BEP8E9Q34)
YouTube - Martyn - Vancouver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r5G7Uh8FSQ)
YouTube - Gunjack - El Soplo Del Diablo (Noiz Remix) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Yw8xEjVpo)
YouTube - Dubstep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FasBeVv639s)

MITA
29-12-2010, 02:45 PM
**** yeah, i tot agree.

markandrew
29-12-2010, 11:52 PM
hopefully techno pop it's head out of the sand for long enough to incorporate other influences and change and grow. it's 2011 FFS and people still think bpm is what makes music "techno"

i have heard techno at 70bpm, 100bpm, 190 bpm, 130 bpm, and yes even the dreaded 140 bpm.... i hope that ppl wake up to the fact that ANYTHING can be techno if it has that "techno vibe" you know what the **** i mean...

YouTube - Coil - The Snow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOUq7YZYUK8)
YouTube - Bandulu - Revelation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPASqvAz_ZM)
YouTube - The Higher Intelligence Agency - Ketamine Entity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rw3ZBRtb7U)
YouTube - surgeon & james ruskin - sound pressure (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAslZ-_9cr0)
YouTube - Martyn - Broken (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BEP8E9Q34)
YouTube - Martyn - Vancouver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r5G7Uh8FSQ)
YouTube - Gunjack - El Soplo Del Diablo (Noiz Remix) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Yw8xEjVpo)
YouTube - Dubstep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FasBeVv639s)

techno was never about speed anyway just because there has been good techno in the past don t mean that techno in the future is shite good call by the way mate people need to embrace instead of hate in as av said it was a great year for techno

The Overfiend
30-12-2010, 01:57 AM
140 Bpm techno is dope ;)

SlavikSvensk
30-12-2010, 04:15 AM

completely agree, though i think this is already happening, at least on a small scale. recent albums by mapstation, monolake, etc. are techno, but stretch the boundaries of what's considered "acceptably techno."

2010, to me, was the year we started moving past the mentality of "i've got my little corner and i don't want to know what's going on in anyone else's corner," as well as the retro-obsessive mentality of "now that i've discovered this one bit of old electronic music that hasn't been trendy for a while, i'm just going to revive it." i hope 2011 is the year of recombination, reinterpretation and redirection.

Elvio Neto
30-12-2010, 04:26 AM
YouTube - Yello - Oh Yeah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLb9jPuDS9Y&feature=related)

listen this at minute 2:28 and tell me what track reminds you :)

techno is everywhere

clubsynthetic
30-12-2010, 05:29 PM
In 2011, techno is going to the same place it has been to for ever - my ears!

Numeric
02-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Truth. Seems 2011 will continue in this fashion, hopefully.
For me personally I got lots of new stuff coming out next year down the dirty, crunchy path. Sometimes dubby, sometimes sterile and clinic funk, as well as all of my upcoming spacey sci-fi tunes. Not a single track above 130, maybe with the exception of some tracks still looking for release dates.

just listened to the clips of 'numenism' and 'biotope'

very nice :yup:

qUE
02-01-2011, 11:16 PM
140 Bpm techno is dope ;)

I think gunjack was just getting at the electronic instrument manufacturers (and maybe scientific) idea of ideal dance bpm which according to Yamaha is 142bpm. TBH, when you're mixing stuff the bpm is changed anyway and I think it's probably best if your pressing vinyl that you keep it in a bpm range which will at least give the DJ a chance to mix it into other tracks :)

Although checking the numbers now, my tracks will only drop speed to 138bpm :/
4AM rinse it is then!

BranLanen
05-01-2011, 01:38 AM
As we all sit here at the beginning of a new year (1/2011), I can't help but to ...think about how Techno Music got to where it is. Yes, its had plenty of ups and downs, the support of benefactors and demise of detractors. With all the trends that flew by, the principle elements that emerged it from being the "sound of few" to a "sound of the many" kept its structure intact. Techno Music displayed adversity, perhaps some stubbornness at times when most of its foundation gave way to the blinding lights of the entertainment business and the empowerment of Technology. For all these years, the low voltage lamp that lights the path forward maintains its faint, but steady glow.

Confucius, the Chinese Prophet once said "Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it".

Many would dispute the fact that Techno had/has no substantial purpose - that it still remains a audio backdrop for having a good time. An artful excuse to congregate with like-minded people, led by notion that through a "togetherness", everybody is well served and nothing more should or could be sought out. Some claim that Techno Music never had the necessary components needed to be considered anything else other than organized static and is expendable. Something similar to a shrink wrap to life.

I am far from being convinced of this view. In fact, I believe that Music, as suggestive as it might seem, becomes one of the few mediums of education adults have longer after we complete our general education and serves people long into their older lives. After 30 or so years of watching you all as a DJ and Producer, I can confirm that certain messages and insinuations in earlier works of Electronic Music have been transcended and handed down through the generations to one another. Something of a audio scrape book that retrieves memories. Does the "Strings Of Life" of today become the "Hey Jude" of tomorrow?. Music not only indicates to us what's happening in terms of human feelings, but also it shows what and who we're ready to leave behind.

Looking forward, Music (Techno) seems to be as wide open as it ever was. No one can solidly confirm its intention, purpose or direction.... The truth is that we can only be witnesses to something that has taken its own form, its own nature. As we all sit here at the beginning of a new decade (2011), I can't help but to think about how many more possibilities, more chances we have to communicate to each other. Many more ideas we're going to explore -- one way or the other!.

:scratchchin:

qUE
05-01-2011, 02:24 AM
:scratchchin:

Jeff can't help but...

:D

qUE
05-01-2011, 02:28 AM
The year is 2011 and I still haven't got my analog synth with at least 4 oscillators.

Techno isn't going anywhere until I get my synth dammit!!

basslinejunkie
06-01-2011, 11:07 AM
hopefully better than it has been in the last 5 years tbh

?!?!?????

Mattias_Fridell
06-01-2011, 11:52 AM
just listened to the clips of 'numenism' and 'biotope'

very nice :yup:

Ah thank you very much sir.

Darkmode
06-01-2011, 08:54 PM

I agree I'm going to do my own thing & ignore what everyone else is doing as I have noticed there is too many keeping up with the Joneses in the Techno scene

2010 was a good year for Techno the quality of releases coming out were amazing & they were real Techno as well lets just hope 2011 is the year Minimal dies for good

MITA
11-01-2011, 01:23 PM
LET IT FLOW in 2011. :rubiggrin:

Numeric
11-01-2011, 01:41 PM
CLR show it's a techno oracle for me at the moment and i'm really exciting where we all going with.
i can see lot's of potential for my fav genre and i'm sure 2011 will be definitely great year for techno at all.

there has been some really good shows but also some really bad ones

dubfire for example :tard:

JamieBall
28-01-2011, 11:13 AM
"Looking forward, Music (Techno) seems to be as wide open as it ever was. No one can solidly confirm its intention, purpose or direction.... The truth is that we can only be witnesses to something that has taken its own form, its own nature. As we all sit here at the beginning of a new decade (2011), I can't help but to think about how many more possibilities, more chances we have to communicate to each other. Many more ideas we're going to explore -- one way or the other!."

I wonder, does exploring these ideas involve recessing your instruments into the floor and crawling around like some kind of bored ant miming like you're actually doing something ?

JamieBall
28-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Techno is going all over facebook in 2011 - with more and more people realising they don't even need a quality control threshold and can just shout endlessly about releases/forthcoming releases/gigs/reviews etc on all the major social networking platforms to the point where anyone who has half a brain is physically annoyed out of the scene, thus leaving a glut of thoroughly untalented also rans to mill about in the remaining quagmire, endlessly downloading their own music and telling themselves how good it is (beatport EXCLUSIVE, most likely)

JamieBall
28-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Actually discount anything I've previously said, I just received a fax informing me that techno is going to the Maldives in 2011.

Numeric
28-01-2011, 11:52 AM
not on facebook :rucool:

markandrew
28-01-2011, 08:50 PM
nowhere with negativity :ruwink:

awol
29-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Techno's going bigtime again
Social networking sites-forget it
awol

djshiva
31-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I think techno is healthier now that some of the faddish scenes (minimal, dubstep, etc.) have grown less faddish and scene-driven, and more in the music's overall sonic vocabulary. I like when stuff gets jumbled up and repurposed; I hate scenes and sub-genres. I hope 2011 brings more recombination and less balkanization.

This.

278d7e64a374de26f==