PDA

View Full Version : xp 64 bit and ram

ritaheed
30-12-2010, 12:17 AM
How much ram can be used in windows 64 bit?

tonyc2002
30-12-2010, 12:22 AM

The absolute maximum amount of RAM XP 64 can address is 128GB as opposed to 4GB (or technically 3.25GB) on a 32 Bit OS.

PS
You should check the amount your motherboard can support before forking out for loads of extra memory.

tonyc2002
30-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Windows 7 64 Bit has different limits for different editions :

Starter: 8GB

Home Basic: 8GB

Home Premium: 16GB

Professional: 192GB

Enterprise: 192GB

Ultimate: 192GB

qUE
05-01-2011, 05:09 PM

Not much since Windows will probably use it all ;)

ritaheed
09-01-2011, 08:39 PM
getting a mac anyways so doesnt matter ;)

System 47
19-01-2011, 02:58 PM
i have an acer with XP64 & 4gb DDR3 ram. i also stripped out XP and installed NO updates.

including Ableton & Sound Forge & all my plug ins, my ENTIRE OS is less than 4.5gb & it runs like a speed freak with a tail wind.

my XP64 desktop has 8bg matched DDR3 & it is brutal fast. when your not up to your eyeballs in virus crap &

as for your mac, lets hope ya dont need to put a file bigger than 4.5 gb on it.. good luck with that ;0)

ritaheed
19-01-2011, 06:08 PM
as for your mac, lets hope ya dont need to put a file bigger than 4.5 gb on it.. good luck with that ;0)

how what ye mean?

rhythmtech
19-01-2011, 06:15 PM
how what ye mean?

its one of the biggest downfalls of mac. the rely on the fat32 file type and are limited on file size. windoze can use NTFS which has no restrictions.

but unless you're working with film or huge graphics you'll never encounter an issue with it.

...that is except for looking like a wannabe be scenester for owning a mac :rurazz::laughing2:

ritaheed
19-01-2011, 06:22 PM
its one of the biggest downfalls of mac. the rely on the fat32 file type and are limited on file size. windoze can use NTFS which has no restrictions.

but unless you're working with film or huge graphics you'll never encounter an issue with it.

...that is except for looking like a wannabe be scenester for owning a mac :rurazz::laughing2:

what about when exporting my tracks to get mixed down - ma last tune was 3.6gb

and im going to need to transfer all my shit from my external hard drive to the mac and thats 500gb - what am i going to then?

a thought a mac was untouchable!! lol

rhythmtech
19-01-2011, 06:36 PM
its individual file sizes. if you have a 500gb folder it doesnt matter. its the seperate file sizes inside that it goes by.

im not sure how it would work for a large zip or ISO. you'd probably need to make splits.

teknorich
19-01-2011, 06:39 PM
I didn't know Macs used FAT32. Seems bizarrely self-limiting, as Windows introduced NFTS years ago to overcome that issue.

rhythmtech
19-01-2011, 06:42 PM
I didn't know Macs used FAT32. Seems bizarrely self-limiting, as Windows introduced NFTS years ago to overcome that issue.

its a little bit silly alright and it has caused problems for me in the past on post production work for video transfers but its not that often i encounter it.

im sure there is probably a workaround but not being a mac user i havent a clue.. and to be honest it might not even be an issue these days.

Alexandere
27-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks for sharing these links.

TvSkY
27-01-2011, 04:53 PM

pretty sure macs use HFS+ file system which supports files up to 8 exabytes

unless you mean for exporting/transfer data to other systems

rhythmtech
27-01-2011, 05:18 PM
pretty sure macs use HFS+ file system which supports files up to 8 exabytes

unless you mean for exporting/transfer data to other systems

maybe they do now. like i said im no mac fanboy but the older ones were always a problem with large video files.

Elvio Neto
08-02-2011, 09:28 PM
jesus this thread is scaring! (sorry guys)

mac file system is "HFS+ journaled" its like windows NTFS but is faster and dont get fragmentations or slowdows when the disk is full or half full

you can format drives in fat32 if you want (for pen drives for example to share files with windows users) but thats optional

there is no comparison with MAC and PC , MAC was made for work everything you need is there and doenst require maintence (antivirus , firewalls , disc defrags , formats, etc)

you can realy focus in your work and you dont realy need to know how to use a computer

one example you want to install a software: drag the icon of the aplication to your desktop and he is installed :) , want uninstall a software? simple drag the icon to trash can and thats it

i was a hardcore user of windows and ms-dos since the version 3.1 version in 1990 (and im still a windows user too) but since i made my MAC all the hard works and troubles gone away in a simple mouse click or a button key pressed (thats what a MAC is)

in this days since the arquitedture of the MACĀ“s are INTEL too you can build a PC with the same specs of one MAC and install OSX there , you will have a MAC PRO for a few euros...

i made my MAC PRO 3.1 in 2008 for 800 euros (monitor + keybord + mouse etc included! i buy all parts on a Portuguese website and mount in home)

i have one internal drive of 500GB for windows 7 x64 (trouble free and faster then XP doing heavy tasks , no bluescreens or hangs garantee in moust cases (i ever saw one even in the beta versions, i was beta testar for microsoft since the first day, ohh i have a blue screen once but was becouse of bad ram problem , i changed the bad ram was never saw a bluescreen again)

then i have one 1000GB internal drive too for the last MAC OSX 10.6.6 64BIT , its faster then XP and doens all you can imagine one windows do, my MAC OSX boot in 6 seconds

this is my 2008 MAC PRO 3.1 build check my screenshot:

http://img131.imagevenue.com/loc23/th_93432_Capturadeecr_2011_02_0819.35.58_122_23lo. jpg (http://img131.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=93432_Capturadeecr_2011_02_0819.35.5 8_122_23lo.jpg)

with 3 years old this PC still run perfect the last MAC OSX Snow Leopad 64bits + all MAC audio and video applications you can imagine

Elvio Neto
08-02-2011, 09:40 PM
i forgot to say i use 8GB ISO files all the time in my MAC...

PS: sorry my bad english in the other post LOL my english can be very bad sometimes...

rhythmtech
08-02-2011, 09:47 PM
everything you've just said is precisely the reason i wouldnt touch one.

bland, non customisable, off the shelf, over priced consumer crap. sorry.

only time i'd get a mac was if someone forced me to choose between it and a dell.. even then i'd have to think about it :laughing2:

Elvio Neto
08-02-2011, 10:56 PM
bland, non customisable, off the shelf

with all the respect rhythmtech thats not true

everything you see in OSX can be changed by hand and not by third party softwares like in windows

you even have script creators in OSX to do what ever you need with a simple click , if you are not a advanced programer you can put the software watching what you are doing (for example deleting specific files , open programs , changing settings , audio volumes , empty the trashs, moving files etc) and then record that to a simple file... now everytime you click that file he will make all the actions you have done automatically (you can even preset that to be done everytime you boot OSX)

another example:

windows use .exe executable files format , its impossible to personalize or change the code inside becouse is packed and over packed to hide everything

in osx if you click expand in the icon of one aplication you can see a bunch of text files inside (thats the code of the aplication) you are free to change everything if you have skills for that

finally if you install third party applications to customise osx you cant imagine the things you can do

im sounding like a MAC fanboy but im not i love windows too (i use ms-windows and ms-dos since my 6 years old)

lets face the facts the professionals use MAC they dont have time to find patches to broken stuff they pay for , they need to work and not troubles or security problems and privacy invasions , nobody knows what you do on a MAC but in windows everything you install use or navigate on internet is monitored (that why all the spam in microsoft emails) this system files can be deleted by third party softwares in some cases

many Microsoft Windows stuff is based on Unix ideas (Linux and OSX) and they ask big amounts of money for that (its the price of one computer to be true)

on the other side OSX doenst have copy protections and the last versions always cost 20 euros (you already paid for your computer you dont need to pay much more to start using him or to update the OS to a new version)

i enter in mac world becouse of Logic pro there is nothing like him to make music in my opinion , but since i start exploring and knowing more about OSX im really thinking in one day to buy a real mac just to support the work of this people

the only limitations i found in OSX is gaming but that is changing every day , the big releases now are starting to have a mac version too

rhythmtech
08-02-2011, 11:45 PM
i was talking about the hardware. i agree its software is most definitly ahead of windows xp.

The_Laughing_Man
09-02-2011, 12:29 AM
I`ve been running Win 7 64 bit on my quadcore studio mainframe
Really really happy with it to be honest.
I`ve found it so stable I finally switched my Live PA Laptop over to Win 7 as well, and 32 gigs in I have had no hiccups (bar a problem with a firewire card getting pulled out during a set)
Some developers need to catch up and make more Win 7 functionality and exploit it more, but it is early days.
Ableton works great with it, as does all my mastering and authoring software.
Gonna go solid state for my system drives soon I think, eliminate moving parts!!!!
Disk defragmenting is a thing of the past with modern systems now.

So glad I finally dropped XP now

Elvio Neto
09-02-2011, 07:24 PM
windows 7 x64 its the best microsoft OS ever made , stable and fast

many people like XP becouse it gives them a "false" sensation of speed (XP have a very light graphic interface and thats all)

windows 7 x64 manages all cores of the processor and all ram (XP only can use 2 cores of the processor if im not wrong)

working in heavy tasks like compressing, uncompressing, moving big files etc you can notice a boost of almoust 20% with windows 7 x64

win7 dont crash like XP becouse all system Threads run independently (thats why consumes more ram)

winXP have alot of system threads attached to one single file (when something goes wrong half of the system hang or crash) in win7 just the app in error quit the system dont even crash

i only recomend windows xp for old processors with 1 core

278d7e64a374de26f==