PDA

View Full Version : Nearfield Active Studio Monitors

Looseunit23
30-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Hi Folks,
I'm doing a home Studio build atm and looking at a budget of £ 200- 300 for monitors. I've come across so many biased / contradictory reviews online it's getting a bit bewildering. There's nowhere in the area i can listen to a decent choice of monitors as well.
Anyone got any good feedback on anything in this price range? Also, true response is more important than volume - it's not a big room.

teknofilth
30-12-2010, 04:32 PM
try and get to a shop if you can and have a listen and go from there - decks/sapphires in london is perfect for that..so much stuff, proper aladdin's cave of gear to drool over ;-)

DannyBlack
30-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I got to the same point for monitors too. So many arguments for and against different ones that I have decided to build my own to the specifications of of good monitors.

I got my electronics kit the other day, now I have to choose the Speakers and Crossover- Oh and wait for my Cherry ply wood order to hurry the f*ck up. :D

Looseunit23
30-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanx for the feedback guys, gawd knows when i'll next be in London, I'm Belfast-based.
Anyone out there used these?
Samson Resolv A6 (http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/31914-samson-resolv-a6.html)
They are looking tempting... tho' some reviews say they are a bit too toppy/ messy at high freqs.
Also KRK/ Intimidation ( Appararantly KRKs under a different name ) looking half way reasonable.

morbid
30-12-2010, 08:48 PM
If the rooms not treated it will make **** all difference what monitors you get for under £300

For that money I'd get £500 monitors 2nd hand and spend a little on acoustics

With monitors its best to spend double what you can afford and then half again for room treatment. Otherwise you'll be forever upgrading

dan the acid man
30-12-2010, 09:52 PM
I got to the same point for monitors too. So many arguments for and against different ones that I have decided to build my own to the specifications of of good monitors.

I got my electronics kit the other day, now I have to choose the Speakers and Crossover- Oh and wait for my Cherry ply wood order to hurry the f*ck up. :D

Have you built speakers before ?

I'd imagine everything has to be spot on to build decent monitors.

Good tips from morbid, it's always a good idea to go secondhand and pick up some better ones.

Good cheap ones though used to be Fostex, Alesis and Krok's. Not sure if they're still the best around for that price range though.

I personally wouldn't advise listening in shops, the room will be totally different to your studio room.

You can generally get a good idea of which are more highly regarded if you look around on the net for long enough.

Looseunit23
30-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback, the room will be treated and i'm not going down the self build road with Speakers. Any thoughts on KRK or Samson?

Jay Pace
31-12-2010, 01:22 AM
krks are pretty decent
i had to trade down from mackies a few years back
mackies were better with more detail, but krk rp8s aren't a shabby speaker
I'd go for rp6s though unless you've got a room big enough to handle the bass. Bit pointless having a speaker overpower your studio.

Scott Kemix
31-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback, the room will be treated and i'm not going down the self build road with Speakers. Any thoughts on KRK or Samson?

hi m8, for the price you are looking at krk rp5 or 6. I managed for ages on some mackie tapco s8, untill i got some adam's. Also yamaha do a decent monitor round that price ;)
heard good and bad things about krk tbh

DannyBlack
31-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Have you built speakers before ?

Yeah. It used to be a hobby of mine when I was a youngster too. I started out by dismantling a set of Kenwood car speakers and fitting them into crude cabs. I loved messing with the dynamics of sound.

It's going to be interesting. I have software that will take care of the calculations for me. I'll post the results.

dan the acid man
31-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Nice one.

Will be interesting to see the results.

I'll look forward to being able to buy some Danny Black monitors soon.

DannyBlack
31-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Yeah it's a little project- it'll be a fun challenge. Black MKI :D

Looseunit23
01-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Looking like KRK's or Alesis m1 mk2's... Unless something tasty pops up second hand. Also be v interested in how the home build goes- Got a cupla 500w long throw subs/scoops me mate built for me ( PA ) and they sound bloody gorgeous. Not suitable for home use tho....
Thanks again for the feedback.

DannyBlack
02-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Have a look at this for a nice little set up

Studios Under Construction (http://johnlsayers.com/Studio/Pages/Scott_1.htm)

DannyBlack
02-01-2011, 02:39 PM
John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum • View topic - Speaker design (http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11265)

Jay Pace
02-01-2011, 04:21 PM
KRKs are much better than Alesis, I've owned both.

DannyBlack
02-01-2011, 05:43 PM
You've not heard Black MkI's yet mate. Come to think of it, neither have I.

278d7e64a374de26f==