PDA

View Full Version : Ripping streaming audio / video audio using audacity or similar....

Quark
18-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Hey everyone,

I have stuck this in here coz its audio related....

I have been ripping audio using audacity from streaming media sites that don't offer download (say Soundcloud or YouTube etc etc).....

Can anyone help me out with what the bit-rate of common streaming media may be?

Say for instance YouTube at 420p - what audio do you think you would get off this or even HD vids on there?

Anyone know what Soundcloud streams at?

Cheers guys and gals.

Mattias_Fridell
18-01-2011, 11:26 AM
This is the reason I use 2 min Clips of my tracks over at Soundcloud.

Athar
18-01-2011, 12:45 PM
it make sense ?
quality on yt is actually rubish, far away from mp3 in 320 or wav.
i can't imagine that someone ripping audio from there and then using for play as a normal mp3 file.

Quark
19-01-2011, 09:25 AM
This is the reason I use 2 min Clips of my tracks over at Soundcloud.

http://media.musicfeeds.com.au/files/pirate_bay.jpg

snooch
19-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Hey Quark, there are all kinds of programs that will rip audio straight off your soundcard. I don't advocate stealing music from musicians though. If they wanted you to download it for free, they would enable that.

The bit rate of youtube videos tend to be quite low. I have a few videos from concerts and they aren't nearly as clear as my original copy. That's why you don't see as many artists removing the rips people put up there. The quality is so low that you can't really play the tracks you rip the audio from.

mike1000000
19-01-2011, 02:07 PM
if you go on to Offliberty - evidence of offline life (http://www.offliberty.com) you can just download the mp3 directly, you just paste the link into a textbox and then they convert it for you, then a link comes up for you to download the finished mp3. the sound quality off you tube is crap tho, i only use it if i want to have a play around with a tune before i decide to buy it on vynil.

Quark
27-01-2011, 07:18 AM
if you go on to Offliberty - evidence of offline life (http://www.offliberty.com) you can just download the mp3 directly, you just paste the link into a textbox and then they convert it for you, then a link comes up for you to download the finished mp3. the sound quality off you tube is crap tho, i only use it if i want to have a play around with a tune before i decide to buy it on vynil.

Hey cheers mate - that site was exactly the type of thing I have been looking for. :approve:

ICN
13-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Audio Hijack for Mac lets ya record up to 10mins of Audio per session without registering.

Noise starts after 10mins - but you can close & restart it again. No probs.

Agree with Quark, its cool for messing around with the tune if you just want to take a look at it. Quality from YT is not something that would make you want to do it for any other reason than that.

Besides - it takes up far too much time. Life is too fkn short! ; )

Elvio Neto
14-02-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't advocate stealing music from musicians though. If they wanted you to download it for free, they would enable that.

i agree with you but its not ilegal to record audio streams... like its not ilegal to record a radio session

278d7e64a374de26f==