PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to ask permission to remix a track?

Orange
21-02-2004, 03:42 AM
I don't think there is a problem with remixing anyones track for your own personal experience. I think the problem emerges where you decide you want to release to the general public that which you have remixed. Do you think you should contact the original artist before you make such a move?

The Overfiend
21-02-2004, 03:52 AM
the whole point of a remix is when an artist approaches you and thinks that you can give their song a twist, it may have not had before
other wise remixng without permission is just straight bootleg or even worse hip hop.

MARKEG
21-02-2004, 05:26 AM
yeha don't do anything without the owners permission imo - just out of respect more than anything else.

miromiric.
21-02-2004, 12:14 PM
if someone d rmx my track without my permission i d kick him in the nutz.

duncandisorderly
21-02-2004, 12:40 PM
if someone did a remix of any of my tracks ( if i ever relewse any ) i would be flattered that they thought enough of my work to want to remix it and as long as they only play it and not release it that should be cool. if they wish to release it then it should be done through the artist tho IMO.

The Divide
21-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Sounds like a tricky situation imo, I wouldnt take the risk to get myself in that position.

I don’t see the point in remixing someone’s track for own personal experience. Its harder to come up with your own shit and you learn a lot more. However I could relate to it if it was a track where you thought you could improve on it and remixed it for your own enjoyment but to do that effectively you need the single hits and sounds/synth patches tho. That would be good!! I think its very disrespectful releasing a remix without permission of the original person who made it and the least you can do is contact them and inform them of your situation. If someone did that to me I would have to listen to remix and see what’s changed and more importantly what’s not. If there was something in there I like, new angle of approach I would let them go and release it, at the end of the day we are all supposed to be fighting the same battle?
Releasing it without permission is plain disrespectful imo, esp if its a remix of something and has certain elements hooks n grooves that made the original what it was. Thats where you consider sending in the heavies

The Overfiend
21-02-2004, 03:12 PM

true

Releasing it without permission is plain disrespectful imo

relevant

jake
22-02-2004, 03:29 AM
sometimes unauthorized remixes of rock or pop songs can be catchy 1% of the time but bootlegging a techno track is dumb 1000% of the time.

tioneb
22-02-2004, 10:18 AM
hmm well i dont think there is any problem producing a remix of a track u like without authorization, till yo do no release it

the problem is when u release it without permission.. but we have already heard many producers sampling whole loops adding some drums and releasing it without mentionning original producer of the loop (see where ùmy sight goes)

Vin-iLL
22-02-2004, 11:14 AM

Whoops... my poor nuts :pray:

lunatrick
22-02-2004, 12:20 PM
sometimes the lines between remix and sampling are blurred tho, e.g. geezers remix / sampling of Mel and Kim could be construed as an unathorised remix, but I would guess the man himself probably just see's it as using a sample..., lets be honest lots of unauthorised sampling goes on in underground dance music, and always has. My personal belief is that once you put something out in the public domain then it's out of your control - increasingly so with the net mp3's etc... in the same way that noboy can stop you recording the radio, nobody can really stop you remixing a track. Blatant rip off's will obviously do little to further your career and may possibly result in gonad removal and / or bankruptcy, but there you go. Dave Angel launched his career by doing an unauthorised remix of sweet dreams, and it got picked up released, although i suspect in these less dance music niave times this would be unlikely to happen now...

Basil Rush
22-02-2004, 01:44 PM
I think the thing is you are unlikely to piss off a million selling artist's or his label by doing a 750 selling bootleged remix. But if you nick someone elses 750 copy idea and flog that then expect him or her to be mighty miffed.

So ... you should definitely contact the artist before you released something with their sample in it, and in fact you should probably have a written contract with them before you do the release.

But if the people you are ripping off are probably going a) not care because they are too big to start with and b) going to have to spend more on lawyers than you'll make on the record (which is the case for most big labels and copyright owners) then you might do better keeping quiet and getting on with it, especially if you've got a real original work that you think the world should hear. If it's naff then best kept it to yourself! :)

DJZeMig_L
22-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Basil's on the money as always...

In the house music comunity doing yer own edits/ remixes is something which is becoming very usual...

I don't c any prob with remixing...

The only prob is releasing it without permition... that is bad, stay away ... unless it's a britney spears or something, then it's cool ehehhe :eh:

If u do decide 2 remix sample at least make sure u make something really "original" and different... If I get sampled and the samplist does a could track I feel honoured...

ALthoug I'll have tell you that maybe it's best if u don't cause if u really like it u'll b heart broken not being able 2 release it!! :(

Z

Orange
23-02-2004, 05:26 AM
Here is what I think.

For most people their propensity to feel obligated to show respect by obtaining permission before sampling or remixing another artist's music is based solely on the proximity of that other artist. Proximity being the distance between the remixer/samplist and the original artist. If you know the original artist and often speak to them, then you probably feel you must ask for their permission first. If you don't speak with them, but you see them around cause you hang in the same circle, then again the obligation is very strong. But as you put further distance between you and the original artist, the feeling of obligation severely diminshes. If you don't know them and never see them, but their is a chance they might hear your remix, then there is still some degree of obligation that you should ask permission, but this can be a breaking point. However, if you remix or sample from an artist you do not know, that isn't part of your own musical genere, and that therefore probably won't even ever hear your remix, then the feeling of obligation is reduced perhaps to ziltch, zero. Unless you are absolute in your ethics, and I have a feeling some of you might be.

Food for thought or load of wank?

The Overfiend
23-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Basil's on the money as always...

In the house music comunity doing yer own edits/ remixes is something which is becoming very usual...

I don't c any prob with remixing...

The only prob is releasing it without permition... that is bad, stay away ... unless it's a britney spears or something, then it's cool ehehhe :eh:

If u do decide 2 remix sample at least make sure u make something really "original" and different... If I get sampled and the samplist does a could track I feel honoured...

ALthoug I'll have tell you that maybe it's best if u don't cause if u really like it u'll b heart broken not being able 2 release it!! :(

Z

Told from the remixologist himself!
Did you have any problem with the old school chicago heads ever?
i would imagine they were always in full support of what you do because it keeps that vibe alive a lil bit.

DJZeMig_L
23-02-2004, 03:28 PM
lol ... don't think they'll mind.. probably don't even know I exist anyways...

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==