PDA

View Full Version : Software vs. Hardware?

dem1983
06-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Oboy,

I know this has been a huge question for a while now, but I need to know from people who have experienced both. I just bought a bunch of hardware equipment instead of just buying a new computer and software. Now I am wondering if I should have just bought a computer instead. I am using a RM1x with a midi keyboard controller to make my music, and storing, mastering, and burning my cds on a Boss BR-1180CD Daw.
Would it be easier and smarter if I just sold my hardware and went with software programs like Reason, Fruity, or Cubase? Would the sound quality be as good? Would it be easier to do on a software program?

MARKEG
06-02-2003, 04:41 PM
I think you shouldn't worry too much (it's good to have outboard stuff) but you really do need to use the best of both worlds. unfortuntely with things the way they are nowadays, i'd recommend to buy a computer first - learn alot of things about synthises very fast and them buy some proper outboard stuff once i knew exactly what it was i needed.

you are, in my humble opinion, losing out by now having the right computer set up too. but learn your outboard stuff for now and have fun doing it.

to be honest, do things your own way - don't listen to anyone else. then you get your own unique sound at the end of the day. too many people are using the same computer set ups and same programs. i think this is harming music in a strange sort of way.

miromiric.
06-02-2003, 07:31 PM
this kind of things shouldn't bother you at all as mark said. it really doesn't matter what do u use,it matters how u use it!

sinner
06-02-2003, 09:06 PM
I have usually been one of the more vocal physical hardware supporters, but I do realize for the most part its a matter of opinion and what you feel more comfortable on.

Alot of tasks can be handled by computer, and even somewhat better than just using specific hardware.

The great part about a computer, is that it can fit into any specific function you want, or dont have hardware for.

I prefer hardware for its tactile feedback that you dont find on a computer, but as long as you find what brings your creativity out the most and easiest, you will be fine

dem1983
06-02-2003, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the input!

I think I know what I am going to do. I think that I am going to sell the BR-1180CD DAW, which is worh about $1,000 on ebay, and use that money, along with the money I get on my tax returns, to buy a new computer and somesoftware. I am going to keep the RM1x and Edirol MIDI keyboard controller, and use it along with a software programs like Cubase.
There is another question I still haven't really figured out yet. There are so many software programs out there, it is so hard to know which one is the best for the money. There is Cubase, Reason, FruityLoops, Acid, ect. Which one would be best suited for using it along with the RM1x? I was told Cubase is good for this, but I'm not sure. :roll:

Jimfish
06-02-2003, 09:41 PM
yeah, as they say, whatever you feel works for you, but things which i personally like to have on outboard is:

a ****in nice analogue filter - thats somthing you can really hear the diff
a decent desk (mack. or better) - cos you need a warm sound when you crank the gains - very imporatnt for techno i personally think.. plus the lush eq
sturdy soundcard
Decent monitors
good outboard compressor / channel strip - like an ivory or somthing again for that warmth and fatness...

basically cheap outboard and you generally might as well use the pc, its when you start spendin dolla that you hear the diference....

Barely Human
08-02-2003, 05:15 PM
why not try kazza to get some cracked versions of some software. This way you can try before you buy!! hahaha!!!

278d7e64a374de26f==