PDA

View Full Version : 2 diff club nights and no turntables...

ritaheed
05-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Was at a night in Glasgow last night with 2 big rooms and not a turntable in sight!!

Went to a mad after party shin dig at a warehouse and still no turntables...

WTF is that all about?

I dont use CD decks so if I was booked for a night like this then I would struggle, surely it should be standard to have turntables at a night??

MITA
05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
a dj should kno how to play cd's , turn's, and other shizz. or carry his own gear :D

J Raninen
06-02-2011, 03:30 AM
U got to provide a technical rider for the promoter. As simple as that.

hardacid
06-02-2011, 05:51 AM
dont see no harm wi the 12's still in the box tho? that exclusive track that ev1 wants to hear, the dj mite havta mix it into his cd! also, what about serato???

i think they should always stay in the box meself

but then i like me decks and dont, but have tried and not that hard to do the cdj bit

just my opinion as a ''dj'' who doesnt play out v much

ritaheed
06-02-2011, 05:47 PM
point to the post is that there should be turntables + cd decks, simple as that

teknorich
06-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Agreed mate. The normal setup round this way is decks, and folks might being their laptop or CDJs, but there would always be decks as standard.

qUE
06-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm afraid you're going to see more of this. I've seen so many decks up for sale, the trend is either people are buying decks, realising they're shit at beatmixing and haven't got any sense of rhythm so sell decks, get laptop, does it all for you, bobs your aunty.

markandrew
06-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm afraid you're going to see more of this. I've seen so many decks up for sale, the trend is either people are buying decks, realising they're shit at beatmixing and haven't got any sense of rhythm so sell decks, get laptop, does it all for you, bobs your aunty.

the thing is beatmaching is easy but a lot of new djs are relying on the sync button in traktor because they never started with vinyl 1210s should never leave a club ever

ritaheed
06-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Agreed mate. The normal setup round this way is decks, and folks might being their laptop or CDJs, but there would always be decks as standard.

Well thats what ive always thought anyways.

Ive only ever used CDJ's twice and on both times I done one mix and that was years ago... didn't like them, never needed to use CDJ's cause I always used vinyl until I moved to serato....

Dont think I would be entirely comfortable using them tbh, would defo take me a few mixes to get into the swing of things

Numeric
07-02-2011, 12:39 PM
vinyl is so expensive these days, plus there are a lot of really shit quality pressings

i still use vinyl but if i could afford to buy a pair of cdjs i would

on saying that though all clubs should have a pair of 1210s and a pair of cdjs as standard

qUE
07-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Actually, I had a quick go on some of the new Panasonic CD mixing devices in Turnkey, TCR. Quite responsive although not vinyl response and they seemed to be pretty robust. Only trouble I know with CD is that any violent vibration normally makes it skip, saying that it had the option for SD iirc.

On the pressing quality issue, I hear you, I was gritting my teeth on the first press as we'd never pressed vinyl before and had nowhere to go for advice on pitfalls of pressing or anything, all internet advice was pretty rubbish, varied and mostly studios pretending it's a requirement for them to do the mixdown and finalisation (which is bollocks). Although the final thing was reasonable, certainly not subvoice quality, but pretty near to the original bar slight groove noise. If I'd do anything in future I'd probably make the cut louder and go with a smaller run.

Saying all this I've got vinyl from the 90s that has stamp pressing anomalies, you just work with it when you're DJing imho. Worst case is when the grooves are really shallow and you get a build up of fluff on the needle, you'd have to be quick to get out of that scrape :)

Quark
09-02-2011, 03:27 AM
I used to use decks, then went to CDJ's now I'm solely laptop - blow blasting ur ears out beat mixing etc - I get better results and smoother mixes from using a laptop, tracktor and keying it all up with mixed in key....

I've been like that for years... I can take my whole crate with me on high quality mp3.

I mean seriously who cares?

Vinyl breaks my back and I always hated CDJ's - just hated them... plus mine were notoriously unreliable and mixing off CD's is balls.

New punters don't give a stuff and I think if the computer programs do mostly of the donkey work for you - more power too them its the way of the future.

Almost all my music is acquired or nicked offline now to pre-test then I go and buy a full quality mp3 off a large distro site - such as beat port or similar or direct from the label.

Plus having everything digital allows me to do mash-ups etc... if I feel like it.

Vinyls dead - CDJ's are going the way of the dino..........:wave:

Unfortunate - I have a soft spot for Vinyl... of course I do...

but it isn't going to ever be what it was....

Quark
09-02-2011, 03:30 AM
the thing is beatmaching is easy but a lot of new djs are relying on the sync button in traktor because they never started with vinyl 1210s should never leave a club ever

It is easy once you get it - but after 15+ years of beat matching - my ears are shot to hell - they ring like a bastard - I find using sync just keeps my ears that much longer out of the headphones and saves me.... I love it for that.

MITA
09-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Quark, you said it all.
Agreed.

ethno
09-02-2011, 09:54 PM
It's all about traktor.

Unless you are a super heavy hitter like Nima Gorji or Ricardo Villalobos, don't expect 1200's to be there much longer!

ritaheed
09-02-2011, 10:00 PM
It's all about traktor.

Unless you are a super heavy hitter like Nima Gorji or Ricardo Villalobos, don't expect 1200's to be there much longer!

not every traktor dj uses controllers....

and what about serato?? just as popular and if your using serato then your using turntables or cdj's

djfilthmonger
10-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Laptops are no fun. 1210's , vinyl or Serato. CDs??? never got into them tbh vinyl, tapes, mp3 :-P

Matt Jones
10-02-2011, 07:57 PM
I have a problem with the sound of the digital formats - they're very bright, pristine and lack warmth. Also, you can hear the difference between the uncompressed version and the mp3. Even a high quality mp3 introduces very slight degradation in the sound. Vinyl sounds so much better with electronic music to me. I also find that when mixing digitally, you don't get the same huge pumping sound when you're in the mix.

markandrew
10-02-2011, 08:46 PM
the war on mixin with a laptop goes on

http://www.geckojewellery.com/yawning%20man%20copy.jpg

Igneous
15-02-2011, 02:03 PM
The last time I played out there were no turntables. I was planning to play records, luckly I had a plan B & brought some tunes on CD. It was the first time I'd played on a pair of CDJs so it was a bit scary but I managed it & by the end I had was flying.

Majority of DJs play on lappies or CDJs, just the way it has gone now. If I get back into it I'll have to get CDJs or take my decks to gigs in the future.

I agree with most though, 1210's should still be part of a club setup. I don't really care how I push sound onto the dance floor but having 1210's there to use if needed would be great.

terious
15-02-2011, 02:15 PM
I have a problem with the sound of the digital formats - they're very bright, pristine and lack warmth. Also, you can hear the difference between the uncompressed version and the mp3. Even a high quality mp3 introduces very slight degradation in the sound. Vinyl sounds so much better with electronic music to me. I also find that when mixing digitally, you don't get the same huge pumping sound when you're in the mix.

agreed! I find it also clinical sounding.

also I think the fact you can touch the vinyl (scratching/dropping) puts you more at one with your mix..

278d7e64a374de26f==