PDA

View Full Version : Technics 1210 Pitch Control Removal

Wayne C
22-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Hello there I wish to mod my 1210 for use as a high quality turntable at home, I have a couple of questions please.

1. I have no need for a pitch control, my turntable is dismantled at this time prior to respraying it , is it ok to leave the pitch control un connected to the board, ie, not have it installed. prior to dismantle the pitch was set at the middle.

2. has anyone got any links to any posts about how to go about filling the space where the control used to be as id ideally like to have that completely filled in prior to spraying it

Wayne

DannyBlack
22-02-2011, 07:30 PM
you could fill it with a set of sound activating LED's maybe like this: Sound Activated LEDs (http://www.instructables.com/id/Sound-Activated-LEDs/) . Other than that I'm not sure really. A little backlit Technics logo?

Barely Human
21-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Just use bodyfiller to fill it and sand it back to a smooth finish. if done right it will be as if it never existed. If you need any other guidance on spraying the, check my other thread - http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/forum/djing/68905-white-technics-spray-job.html

qUE
21-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I think you'll need the pitch control in to complete the circuit to the motor. I dunno about bridging that circuit, I expect it'll make the turntable spin too fast, so you may need to put a resistor in to match the resistance of 0 pitch on the slider.

Barely Human
22-05-2011, 01:17 AM
I think you'll need the pitch control in to complete the circuit to the motor. I dunno about bridging that circuit, I expect it'll make the turntable spin too fast, so you may need to put a resistor in to match the resistance of 0 pitch on the slider.

I think it should be fine to bridge the connection as this is basically how the quartz lock works in the center of the slider. Don't hold me to this though :ruwink:

qUE
30-05-2011, 03:04 PM
I think it should be fine to bridge the connection as this is basically how the quartz lock works in the center of the slider. Don't hold me to this though :ruwink:

Haha "quartz lock", that's a fancy name for a ball bearing.

Tbh, I doubt there is quartz used in the timing of the motor revolutions, I expect it's just a capacitor regulating it. Panasonic made those decks as basic as possible so that there is less to go wrong. They were originally designed for military use after all.

teknorich
30-05-2011, 03:51 PM
They were originally designed for military use after all.

Whuuuut?! More details needed!

qUE
30-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Not sure where I heard it from, I think it might be a hear say thing from someone else.

Haha, typical google not turning up anything to corroborate what I've said. Well nearest thing I've found is that the metal and rubber used on the Technics turntables is military grade, which I think would be a bit overkill for consumer use :)

Obviously turntables were used for military radio and I suspect there would be a requirement for kit to be as durable as possible since equipement gets shifted around all the time during operations, although it's probably all ipod now :(

Also, I maybe wrong what I said about quartz being in circuit for rpm regulation since "quartz synthesizer" is mentioned in the deck name, it might be used to regulate the charging the capacitor, but then quartz is low voltage afaik, really very very little information on what a quartz synthesizer actually is.

hardacid
02-10-2011, 10:34 AM

i like the sound of them being up to military standard...the abuse my 1210's have had and get is big and they still stand to attention on requirement...

if they were'nt up to military spec they should be

278d7e64a374de26f==