PDA

View Full Version : Buffering in FL Studio!!!!

Trax
21-03-2011, 02:01 PM
I am having problems with buffering in FL Studio! When I use a few VST;'s the buffering is that bad on playback that I can't even hardly hear anything for the popping / crackling etc!!

I have adjusted the buffer level in the 'Audio Settings' but that hasn't made much difference.

I know that it has something to do with CPU usage, but I haven't a clue what to do about it!

Will it make any difference if I upgrade to more RAM??? Or do I possibly need to upgrade my processor????

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jake Conlon
21-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Have you got ASIO drivers?

ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver (http://www.asio4all.com/)

What are you computer specs?

:rucool:

qUE
21-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Yup, ASIO is definitely going to drop your latency, but I'd personally use the Cubase ASIO drivers, since they're a much cleaner install imho.

Jake Conlon
21-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Yup, ASIO is definitely going to drop your latency, but I'd personally use the Cubase ASIO drivers, since they're a much cleaner install imho.

Can you get that for free?

qUE
21-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Can you get that for free?

Unofficially yes :)

Otherwise it'll likely be included with the trial version.

Jake Conlon
21-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Unofficially yes :)

Otherwise it'll likely be included with the trial version.

Never thought of it as two seperate things.

Mainly because thinking of Cubase brings me out in rashes.

qUE
21-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Never thought of it as two seperate things.

Mainly because thinking of Cubase brings me out in rashes.

It used to be a reasonable sequencer (as far as commercial sequencers go), but it's since gone through the same change as all software, it's got more shiney, more unstable and less useable.

I haven't used any sequencers to make music other than my own since the mid-90s, which is why I knew about ASIO when testing DX/VST synths routed with MIDI, which I'll say now, do not expect MIDI synth performance. Even if you had an absolute beast of a machine, it'd still eventually flake when trying to do what external synths can do. Although, I've actually proven it's a software performance thing rather than lack of power, dedicated systems with a fraction of the power will always blow away any software on a bloated OS with an uber computer.

don_flintoni
25-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I am having problems with buffering in FL Studio! When I use a few VST;'s the buffering is that bad on playback that I can't even hardly hear anything for the popping / crackling etc!!

I have adjusted the buffer level in the 'Audio Settings' but that hasn't made much difference.

I know that it has something to do with CPU usage, but I haven't a clue what to do about it!

Will it make any difference if I upgrade to more RAM??? Or do I possibly need to upgrade my processor????

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance!

When you play back in FL what is the CPU usage meter saying, it shows just how much processing power you are eating.

If you are using multiple instances of some VSTs, they'll eat CPU like there's no tomorrow.

As mentioned, can you give us an indication as to what spec PC you are using?

278d7e64a374de26f==