PDA

View Full Version : Swapping bass

Joe Pineapples
24-03-2011, 04:18 PM
I guess this one goes to all the DJs on here -- which is just about everybody apart from me it seems.

Anyway, I downloaded some free Virtual DJ software so I could mix together some of my tunes, and I was just wondering what the general consensus was regarding when you swap bass? Is it better to swap bass very quickly on the beat, or try and slowly fade one out while you bring the other in? I'd prefer the second way because I'm also a bit of secret prog-house fiend, so I like all that seamless mixing malarky, but I always seem to get a moment when the two bass sounds are clashing. Is there any way to avoid that?

Any and all advice much appreciated, and don't worry, I'm not planning on inflicting any of my mixes on the world!

DarkYoung
24-03-2011, 04:44 PM
I guess this one goes to all the DJs on here -- which is just about everybody apart from me it seems.

Anyway, I downloaded some free Virtual DJ software so I could mix together some of my tunes, and I was just wondering what the general consensus was regarding when you swap bass? Is it better to swap bass very quickly on the beat, or try and slowly fade one out while you bring the other in? I'd prefer the second way because I'm also a bit of secret prog-house fiend, so I like all that seamless mixing malarky, but I always seem to get a moment when the two bass sounds are clashing. Is there any way to avoid that?

Any and all advice much appreciated, and don't worry, I'm not planning on inflicting any of my mixes on the world!

can be a lot about wherabouts you bring your second bass in.

as long as it is same bpm, best to bring in after a break down of some kind.

so there's no clashing and it sounds harmonious.

Joe Pineapples
25-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks, DY. So it's best to drop it in quick you think, rather than try fading one out while you fade the other in?

DarkYoung
25-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks, DY. So it's best to drop it in quick you think, rather than try fading one out while you fade the other in?

im not saying it is either.

i think it is good to be able to both, rather than having the same style all the time.

depends on the flow of the mix.

a lot of trance mixes the old school ones, would drop the next bass in very quickly.

and some would be so seamless you couldnt really tell when the next tune had come in.

Joe Pineapples
25-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks again, DY. I have another question if I may.

When I see DJs live or on Youtube, especially guys like the Libs or Sterling Moss or Henry, they're doing something all the time. Their hands are constantly moving. For me, I'm just trying to get the tunes to blend nicely at the moment and I'm having trouble with that, but I guess my question is, what are those guys doing that I should be aspiring to do at some point in the very distant future, cos they're clearly doing a lot more than just blending the tunes nicely!

DarkYoung
26-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks again, DY. I have another question if I may.

When I see DJs live or on Youtube, especially guys like the Libs or Sterling Moss or Henry, they're doing something all the time. Their hands are constantly moving. For me, I'm just trying to get the tunes to blend nicely at the moment and I'm having trouble with that, but I guess my question is, what are those guys doing that I should be aspiring to do at some point in the very distant future, cos they're clearly doing a lot more than just blending the tunes nicely!

i dunno, when you are totally comfortable with something being well blended, you would probably have confidence to make more dramatic changes etc

getting the next tune eq'ed in properly etc before bringing it in

but shit i dont know, im pretty low level myself.

they're just creating best sound out of those tunes at that moment using the tops mids and bass

Joe Pineapples
29-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks again, DY. With regard to my original bass-swapping query, I think my problem may be the mids clashing. Practise is what's needed, I guess -- and maybe a copy of DJing for Idiots!

DarkYoung
29-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks again, DY. With regard to my original bass-swapping query, I think my problem may be the mids clashing. Practise is what's needed, I guess -- and maybe a copy of DJing for Idiots!

it sounds like your haven't got both tunes in time.

what mixer do you use.

how do you measure the bpm of each track?

Joe Pineapples
30-03-2011, 09:20 AM
It's all on the computer so there's no excuse for it, but I think you're right, the tunes were beatmatched but they weren't, er, 'section matched', so it was sounding messy when I was trying to swap over. Does that sound right?

DarkYoung
30-03-2011, 09:39 AM
It's all on the computer so there's no excuse for it, but I think you're right, the tunes were beatmatched but they weren't, er, 'section matched', so it was sounding messy when I was trying to swap over. Does that sound right?

yeah as far as i am concerned if your doing it on the computer your not really mixing.

benji303
31-03-2011, 10:24 PM
DJing For Dummies: 2nd Edition at Juno Records (http://www.juno.co.uk/products/djing-for-dummies-2nd-edition/411294-01/?utm_source=google_uk&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Google%2BShopping)

278d7e64a374de26f==