PDA

View Full Version : Funky Techno

Addict
23-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Could anyone point me in the right direction regarding labels, artists, DJ's etc

cheers

The Overfiend
23-02-2004, 01:27 PM
be more specific.
If I can bob my head to it and it's got rhythm anything from schranz to eg is funky to me.

Addict
23-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Not really a techno bof so I can't be too specific but to me its not really "hard" more of a progressive feel to it. Almost housey but not :eh:

death on a stick
23-02-2004, 03:13 PM
what the hell is funky techno?

dirty_bass
23-02-2004, 03:24 PM
I think I know what you mean, the smooth, funky, but solid kinda stuff.

try
BlueBlack
Sessions
In-Tec
Mankind
illgorhythm
Jericho
Edit recordings
southsoul
SLS
Real Sessions
Drumcode

For the funkier, more techy end of things

jonnyspeed
23-02-2004, 06:27 PM
I tend to find that there a funky mix on most techno EPs unless its noisy industrial stuff.

If you want a latin groove then SP Groove is pretty good as is a few tracks on Prime Evil.

I personally think that pretty much all "acid techo" is funky. 4x4 always has a funky track out of the four on their EPs. have a look on truelove.co.uk for all the key labels.

There also alot of "ghetto tech" that is a kinda new skool chicago warehouse sound with lots of old skool booty running through it. Pro-Jex, Jackstar, Djax Up Beats. particularly good artists artists.

Another label that is an acid and ghetto cross over is Subvert.

If you litterly mean "funk" as in James Brown/Parmimentafunkadelic type stuff then that really is just random tracks.

You just gotta start listening to stuff as it comes out. Have a look at some good websites with samples: Energy UK and Banging Tunes are a good start. If you can pop along to Trackheads in london - there site is good but limited samples. Eukatech and mad records are really helpful and will give you a sample of records to listen to if you really want to discover what you like - then they'll point out other stuff that is similar. Weekly I spend atleast a couple of hours just stifting through what new and what I've missed from back catalogues.

peace and good look :)

tekku7181
23-02-2004, 07:56 PM
http://GothamGrooves.com

in particular agent orange's production..

hell they even have a track called "funk matter"

death on a stick
23-02-2004, 09:03 PM
this thread is hilarious.

Esox Lucius
23-02-2004, 09:04 PM
techno is funk. :lol:

darklight
23-02-2004, 11:52 PM
I wonder if he perhaps is refering to tech house. Something like what colin dale or trevor rockliffe play nowdays

miromiric.
24-02-2004, 12:08 AM

thats death on a stick i know! i wanted to write something liek this but was to petrified you will march in and rubble rubble rubble "what s all this then?"

Addict
24-02-2004, 09:28 AM

why?

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Talking about "funky techno" as if it's some kind of discrete genre.

"Do you like funky techno?"

"No, I like only hard techno and dark techno."

"Some hard techno is funky"

"How can it be funky if it's hard?"

"I like dark funky techno"

"Don't be silly, there's no such thing"

Addict
24-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Who was?
I only wanted to be pointed in the right direction, some people have done that coz they sort of know what I was getting at, I don't know what your on about.

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 11:21 AM
My point is that you are asking about a genre that doesn't exist. Asking for funky techno is like asking for funky house or bassy dub or drum'n'bass with drums and bass in it. Techno is inherently "funky", whatever that may actually entail, and most of the examples above I would categorise as crowd-friendly mainstream stadium techno fodder. If it's funk and groove you want in your techno, go search out stuff like Red Planet, UR, Robert Hood, Kenny Larkin, Cristian Vogel, Derrick May, Akufen, Carl Craig, Stephen Brown, Dan Curtin, DBX, Model 500, Farben etc.

duncandisorderly
24-02-2004, 11:33 AM

why? :?:

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 11:35 AM
do keep up, old chap. :roll:

duncandisorderly
24-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Could anyone point me in the right direction regarding labels, artists, DJ's etc

cheers

i think dirty bass has the idea from what you asked for.

also check kiddaz.fm - su.real - frequent - terminal m - some of the old primate primevil or primary if you can find them - d'wachman and hd substance on atlas records - bando - angel molina and some stuff by w j henze. this should give you a foot in the door of funky techno and dont get put off by purists who say there is no such thing. this - as with all things - is open to interpretation.

some people on the forum are actually quite friendly ;)

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 11:48 AM
dont get put off by purists who say there is no such thing. this - as with all things - is open to interpretation.
LOL!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

miromiric.
24-02-2004, 11:55 AM
death on a stick - your mind is so pure and innocent, you do not see how world around us is corrupted. come, my friend, come to my shelter, i will protect you from the outsiders.

tioneb
24-02-2004, 12:35 PM
well to me funk is not inherent to techno as somebody mentionned ... most of the dark stuff isnt funky, and thats obviously the dark techno addicts like miro laugh at people requesting funky techno.

to me, drumcode isnt funky label too... the label has produced some interesting dj tools imo, but i dont wualify them of funky

i dont think the funk can be described.. most of the time it really depends on the dj who mixes it, the way you play records really brings the funk .. just look the difference between surgeon and derrick may ways of mixing, each has its own particular genre, and not saying theres one better than the other, i would say each one has its different way of thinking techno

to me, some kewl funky labels are : sls, ingoma, purpose maker, teknotika... the thing is that the purists will diss these labels saying they are "cheesy" but well this is becasue htese guys are funk haters

duncandisorderly
24-02-2004, 12:38 PM
some kewl funky labels are : sls, ingoma, purpose maker, teknotika... the thing is that the purists will diss these labels saying they are "cheesy" but well this is because these guys are funk haters :clap: :clap: :clap:

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 12:45 PM
well to me funk is not inherent to techno as somebody mentionned ... most of the dark stuff isnt funky
I disagree, some people just can't hear/feel it unless it's made really obvious/contrived. Unless people are either incompetent or going out of their way to produce something cold, bland and lifeless then it's usually there...whatever "it" may be.

jonnyspeed
24-02-2004, 12:49 PM
well to me funk is not inherent to techno as somebody mentionned ... most of the dark stuff isnt funky
I disagree, some people just can't hear/feel it unless it's made really obvious/contrived. Unless people are either incompetent or going out of their way to produce something cold, bland and lifeless then it's usually there...whatever "it" may be.

Well I agree that funk is not inherent to all techno (Alex Empire for example) but most techno you would listen to in a club has a funky groove.

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 12:53 PM
You mean Alec Empire? I thought his stuff was classed as Digital Hardcore? See "bland, lifeless" as above. Contrived, also.

jonnyspeed
24-02-2004, 12:53 PM
techno purists can suck my ...

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 01:01 PM
what's a techno purist?

Addict
24-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the help those who gave it, I'm off now to find some "funky techno" and you lot can carry on with your debate on whether it exists or not.

miromiric.
24-02-2004, 01:07 PM
funky`s original meaning is weird.

its funny how funky became the exact opposite. funk can suck my cock.

miromiric.
24-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the help those who gave it, I'm off now to find some "funky techno" and you lot can carry on with your debate on whether it exists or not.

enjoy it for next 6 months - 2 years.

observer
24-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Of course Alec Empire´s released some techno a while back

I'm off now to find some "funky techno" and you lot can carry on with your debate on whether it exists or not.
Innit!

Esox Lucius
24-02-2004, 01:26 PM
first rule of techno is funk ;)

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the help those who gave it, I'm off now to find some "funky techno"
Good for you. Will you be checking out the examples I gave you? Not sure you'll find all of them in HMV (you'll find most of the other examples down there though).

Do you use soulseek? That's an excellent way to discover new music, lots of obscure stuff on there.

Addict
24-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the help those who gave it, I'm off now to find some "funky techno"
Good for you. Will you be checking out the examples I gave you? Not sure you'll find all of them in HMV (you'll find most of the other examples down there though).

Do you use soulseek? That's an excellent way to discover new music, lots of obscure stuff on there.

Look mate, the only reason I called it that is because that was what I was told it was, I didn't make the name up. I came on here to get some help finding a certain sound I happen to like and all you've done is take the piss. What's the point? Sorry if I offended you by calling your precious genre something it isn't but like I said I'm pretty new to techno. Get a fukin life will ya!

crime
24-02-2004, 02:02 PM
first rule of techno is funk ;)

If only it was the case... :lol:

I thought the first rule of techno was there were no rules??? I can see where death on a stick is coming from, don't take him the wrong way, his heart's in the right place ;)
At the end of the day, there's so much stuff that could be considered "funky techno" thats all different it's hard to know what you're looking for, check out the online shops, like Juno, and just randomly listen to stuff in the techno section, best way to hear new stuff you've never heard of I recon..
Whether stuff has got the funk is totally subjective, I personally don't find stuff like drumcode funky, but some people might.. I can't be arsed with arguing the toss with someone on a msg board who is convinced it is..

S'funny, the people who bang on about the 'purists' strangely seem to be the same people who won't open their ears up to anything other than what they're currently into...

Patrick
24-02-2004, 02:15 PM
....and all you've done is take the piss.

That's not "all" he's done. He has also made some very good recommendations : Red Planet, UR, Robert Hood, Kenny Larkin, Cristian Vogel, Derrick May, Akufen, Carl Craig, Stephen Brown, Dan Curtin, DBX, Model 500, Farben etc.
Check 'em. ;)

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Look mate, the only reason I called it that is because that was what I was told it was, I didn't make the name up. I came on here to get some help finding a certain sound I happen to like and all you've done is take the piss. What's the point? Sorry if I offended you by calling your precious genre something it isn't but like I said I'm pretty new to techno. Get a fukin life will ya!
What the f.u.ck are you on about? You're an idiot. Learn to read. What precious genre? I've given you better information than any of the people who've cited the stale generic twoddle that spotty teens do drugs to.

miromiric.
24-02-2004, 02:33 PM
dont listen to what death told you to pick up - i think u r looking for stuff someone else listed like primate, jericho, marco bailey, umek etc.

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 02:38 PM
yeah, I know what he's asking for, I just thought I'd help him to avoid wasting his time on that crap and get straight to the good stuff. And he thinks I ain't helping?

dirty_bass
24-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Listen addict, I`m affraid there are some techno snobs on this forum lurkin about. "Funky" techno does tend to be more dancefloor friendly and sometimes crosses over to tech-house. Some people consider music that people actually like and DANCE to, to be below them, but what is important is to listen to what you like, there have been some good examples given on this thread, ignor the sarcasm and go explore.
You can get some very ass shakin` hard and dark techno as well, but I think the stuff your referring to is the more "Techy, Proggy" kinda thing.

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 02:45 PM
I`m affraid there are some techno snobs on this forum lurkin about. "Funky" techno does tend to be more dancefloor friendly and sometimes crosses over to tech-house. Some people consider music that people actually like and DANCE to, to be below them
:lol:

miromiric.
24-02-2004, 02:56 PM
you are naive :D death. stop wasting your time. good music comes to people with passion after some time all by itself.

Jimfish
24-02-2004, 02:59 PM
:doh: this thread has climbed right the way up its own arse

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 03:06 PM
I causes me pain to know that people are wasting their lives isolating themselves behind the proliferation of cheap rubbish. I know I should leave them to it, but just think how much time Addict could save by bypassing tripe like In-Tec and moving straight onto better, dare I say "funkier" things.

S'funny, the people who bang on about the 'purists' strangely seem to be the same people who won't open their ears up to anything other than what they're currently into...
word. I seriously think that most people worthy of the tag "purist" are the very fools who continually wheel the term out in discussions to justify their lack of understanding.

dirty_bass
24-02-2004, 03:14 PM
"my techno is better than yours, ner ner ner ner ner :love:, it is, my mummy said so"

I think though whole point has been lost.

I causes me pain to know that people are wasting their lives isolating themselves behind the proliferation of cheap rubbish. I know I should leave them to it, but just think how much time Addict could save by bypassing tripe like In-Tec and moving straight onto better, dare I say "funkier" things.

What purpose does this comment serve. Does this mean everyone should only listen to dark experimental techno all the time, and not anything else?
Isn`t variety the key, both the light and the dark. I personally like all forms of techno and indeed music, I try to listen to as much as I can, if you only pick one genre to listen to your opinion becomes invalid as you loose a point of reference. And then you become self referential, and anal, which is the downfall of creativity.

Jeeez, the guy only wanted to get some pointers for some clubby, funky techno, for all you know he probably has a huge collection of old experimental industrial music from the late 70`s and early 80`s and is bored of listening to Reeko, surgeon, wunsch and fancied a change.

Si the Sigh
24-02-2004, 03:21 PM
:doh: this thread has climbed right the way up its own arse

...and is licking the insides! :wicked:

I fu*king hate you techno snobs! Techno can be hard, techno can be deep, techno can be funky & techno can be clanking. Check the 4X4 label. It covers it all. Right, point proved me thinks. Now wheres my funky old 2-Unlimited CD gone?...

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 03:29 PM
What purpose does this comment serve. Does this mean everyone should only listen to dark experimental techno all the time, and not anything else?
No, and I can't imagine what thought process led you to this suggestion. Perhaps a lack-of-thought process.

Isn`t variety the key, both the light and the dark. I personally like all forms of techno and indeed music, I try to listen to as much as I can, if you only pick one genre to listen to your opinion becomes invalid as you loose a point of reference. And then you become self referential, and anal, which is the downfall of creativity.
Agreed, except I don't listen to all music as only a tiny portion of it is worth listening to. That still amounts to more than I could ever listen to within my lifetime, so I'm certainly not going to waste more time than I have to listening to low grade fodder. Neither am I going to encourage others to do so.

Jeeez, the guy only wanted to get some pointers for some clubby, funky techno, for all you know he probably has a huge collection of old experimental industrial music from the late 70`s and early 80`s and is bored of listening to Reeko, surgeon, wunsch and fancied a change.
Yeah this is a good point. I did make an assumption, but that was based on another assumption, that being that anyone with that experience with music wouldn't waste a second of their life trying to find out about the sort of stuff that Carl Cox plays and would continue to explore more interesting music.

I fu*king hate you techno snobs! Techno can be hard, techno can be deep, techno can be funky & techno can be clanking.
oooh, I hope it doesn't do all of them at the same time, that would be well confusing.

What's a techno snob?

Si the Sigh
24-02-2004, 03:33 PM
...a nob with a 's' in front of it.

dirty_bass
24-02-2004, 03:34 PM
ok, enough, let`s just kiss and make up, although I don`t have any lipstick :love:

Si the Sigh
24-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Nah, seriously, why did you have to put Addict down for calling it 'funky techno'? If it sounds funky to him, who the fu*k are you to tell him its not? I hear loads of tracks I think sound funky, or hard, and thats how it is to me.

Si the Sigh
24-02-2004, 03:35 PM
ok, enough, let`s just kiss and make up, although I don`t have any lipstick :love:

...you can borrow mine! :lol:

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Nah, seriously, why did you have to put Addict down for calling it 'funky techno'? If it sounds funky to him, who the fu*k are you to tell him its not? I hear loads of tracks I think sound funky, or hard, and thats how it is to me.
I didn't put him down. I merely informed him that there is no such genre as funky techno. "Funky" is an adjective.

What's a nob?

Si the Sigh
24-02-2004, 03:39 PM
...a snob without an 's' in front of it.

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the info.

Addict
24-02-2004, 04:07 PM
"my techno is better than yours, ner ner ner ner ner :love:, it is, my mummy said so"

I think though whole point has been lost.

[quote]

Your not wrong mate, It's that Hard, Industrial sound that got me into techno in the first place. I've been buying this sort of techno for years just fancied something different for a change and wondered if there were any labels that catered for this sound specifically.

duncandisorderly
24-02-2004, 04:16 PM
What's a techno snob?

YOU ARE!

addict asked a question and you knew perfectly well what he wanted in response. instead of answering the question or just ignoring it you decided to poke fun at the question and its context. if you dont like the stuff that he asked for that is fine. just dont comment on it. if he had asked for some information on detroit techno then the stuff that you suggested would have been relevant. HE DIDNT he asked for 'funky' techno - something which you may not like and that is fair enough - however - systematically ripping the p!ss just makes you sound like you aren't getting any sex (do you D.I.Y. by any chance?)

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 04:26 PM
What's a techno snob?

YOU ARE!

addict asked a question and you knew perfectly well what he wanted in response. instead of answering the question or just ignoring it you decided to poke fun at the question and its context. if you dont like the stuff that he asked for that is fine. just dont comment on it. if he had asked for some information on detroit techno then the stuff that you suggested would have been relevant. HE DIDNT he asked for 'funky' techno - something which you may not like and that is fair enough - however - systematically ripping the p!ss just makes you sound like you aren't getting any sex (do you D.I.Y. by any chance?)
what are you on about you? the stuff I listed is far and away funkier than anything else listed on this thread, he asked for funky, I gave him funky. The stuff I listed is not all from Detroit either, neither does it all sound like it's from Detroit. Get a clue, for fuc.ks sake, you're embarrassing yourself.

duncandisorderly
24-02-2004, 04:32 PM
i don't think so.

you're the one acting like you got your period.

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm fine, cheers, the only bleeding I do is out my rear end after a particularly fiery curry, and believe me the smell of that is funkier than any In-Tec release.

duncandisorderly
24-02-2004, 04:43 PM
you want to be careful with that. that fiery curry coming through so close to where your head is. you might get chilli burn on your eyes.

death on a stick
24-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the tip.

crime
24-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Death on a stick, I can see what you're trying to say, but I think it's probably better you laugh to yourself behind your computer screen if you want to take the Michael out of what's being said here rather than the barrage of verbal shite your posting here, all can I ask is is your job really that boring??
Duncan, I don't think you've done yourself any favours by rising to the bait, and to the both of you, dropping the standards to a basic slagging match is a pretty pathetic really....
There's no greater put down than the sound of one hand clapping i.e. if it's getting on your tits there's always the ignore button....

dirty_bass
24-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Yaaaayyyyy! I haven`t had a good fight for ages!!
C`mon, who`s up for it, fight club styleeeee..
I get first punch
(slips back into boucer mode)

"C`mon then, I break people for a livin`, but I`ll do you for free mate!!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

tekku7181
24-02-2004, 07:55 PM
hahahaha

whos got the funk??

MARKEG
24-02-2004, 11:52 PM
death - i do have a serious problem with your attitude sometimes. but you are obviously well into your own way of thinking and i do respect that and i admire it. but in the same way, shouldn't u respect everyone else's opinions? i really wish you would.

the main thing i hope ppl have learnt from this thread is that if you poke fun at someone asking for help, they disappear off and wish they'd never asked. this is really annoying. it's this whole mentality of keeping everything for yourself. poke fun and have a laugh about some 'leecher'. well aren't you the big man? it's so annoying. and it's not productive at all.

if i see someone out there on the floor asking for help, i help them. i don't care what they've been into, what complete rubbish they listen to. you help them - point them in the right direction without being sarcastic or rude. this thread should have been a post about everyone's different interpretations of funky techno to give addict some labels to search for. instead public school snobs have gatecrashed the party.

well that's the way i see it anyway.

PS some EXCELLENT comments by some really genuine forum members btw.

death on a stick
25-02-2004, 12:52 AM
death - i do have a serious problem with your attitude sometimes. but you are obviously well into your own way of thinking and i do respect that and i admire it. but in the same way, shouldn't u respect everyone else's opinions? i really wish you would.
No. I respect everyone else's right to an opinion, but of course I don't respect everyone else's opinions, and neither does anyone else.

For example:

if he had asked for some information on detroit techno then the stuff that you suggested would have been relevant. HE DIDNT he asked for 'funky' techno
It's hard to respond to something like that respectfully. Why should I respect an opinion that is based on ignorance and bullshit, particularly when the person behind it then resorts to playground tactics and petty insults when their ignorance is pointed out to them? Doesn't make sense to me.

the main thing i hope ppl have learnt from this thread is that if you poke fun at someone asking for help, they disappear off and wish they'd never asked. this is really annoying. it's this whole mentality of keeping everything for yourself. poke fun and have a laugh about some 'leecher'. well aren't you the big man? it's so annoying. and it's not productive at all.
Aside from maybe one or two posts in the whole thread, I was the only person to give examples of funky techno that's worth listening to, worth searching out. Stuff like In-Tec and most of Primate etc is for children, why encourage someone to waste their time on that? Is that productive? How is that helping anyone other than the leechers (your word, just adopting it for my own uses) who throw up endless identical EPs of tripe for the masses to eat up?

if i see someone out there on the floor asking for help, i help them. i don't care what they've been into, what complete rubbish they listen to. you help them - point them in the right direction without being sarcastic or rude.
Yeah well, what you see is what you get. The same topic being discussed "in real life" will get the same response. You'll have noted, presumably, that I don't start with the insults until either they are directed at me by your "really genuine forum members", or I read something so stupid that it's insulting.

this thread should have been a post about everyone's different interpretations of funky techno to give addict some labels to search for. instead public school snobs have gatecrashed the party.

well that's the way i see it anyway.
Yeah, well I respect your right to be wrong, as well as your right to have an opinion.

death - i do have a serious problem with your attitude sometimes.
You should try that line when the real grim reaper turns up at your door many years from now. I'm sure he'll repent and decide to let you keep your soul. Or was it funk? I can never remember. mmmmm, funky techno.

MARKEG
25-02-2004, 01:26 AM
ok then. points said and made. i have my way, you have yours.

i don't agree with you but hey, i'm not going to change you on the internet am i...

jonnyspeed
25-02-2004, 01:27 AM
Hydraulix is funk!

Addict
25-02-2004, 09:32 AM
I can't believe how asking for Funky techno can cause such an uproar. I respect the fact that it probably isn't a genre or sub genre that people recognise but it was a certain type of music that I was looking for.
What the **** :neutral:

MARKEG
25-02-2004, 09:47 AM
it's mad but that's one of the things about techno. people believe in it but everyone has their own version of it. the thing about most other genres that have come up over the years is that you can easily pigeon hole them. techno has been around since the begininng - there's so many different sub genres and styles of techno it's silly. good but silly. that's why arguments like this start very easily.

MARKEG
25-02-2004, 09:48 AM
dont take it to heart addict.. death did actually point some really good labels out as did many others on here. you just need to get yourself down to a good record shop and make your own mind up.

dan the acid man
25-02-2004, 11:09 AM
the best advice i can give you is to spend as long as possible in a record shop or even online and listen to as many different labels as possible and make up your own mind, thats what i do

crime
25-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Hydraulix is funk!
Erm, sorry, no...

massplanck
25-02-2004, 12:41 PM
funk·y2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fngk)
adj. funk·i·er, funk·i·est

Having a moldy or musty smell: funky cheese; funky cellars.
Having a strong, offensive, unwashed odor.

Music.
Of or relating to music that has an earthy quality reminiscent of the blues.
Combining elements of jazz, blues, and soul and characterized by syncopated rhythm and a heavy, repetitive bass line.

Patrick
25-02-2004, 02:40 PM
There still seems to be a lot of confusion about all this. Maybe this will help.
Detroit techno comes from Detroit, right ?
So Funky techno obviously comes from :

http://www.russeavisen.no/busser/bilder/funkytown.jpg
http://topos.4t.com/images/funky_town_areat2.jpg
http://www.orcasound.com/restos/funky_town.jpg
http://illustrator.cool.ne.jp/hanga/turumi/red/5.FUNKY%20TOWN.jpg

Easy, innit !

Patrick
25-02-2004, 02:43 PM
And any newbies trying to get into the Funky sound would do well to check out these seminal albums which defined the sound of the city and, indeed, the genre.

http://www.hotelindevon.co.uk/Images/Entertainment/HoldBackthe%20night-Funky%20Town.jpg
http://www.stars-on-7-inch.com/index_l/lipps_inc/funky_town.jpg
http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drc600/c612/c61206xy097.jpg

Dustin Zahn
25-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Some of you guys are pathetic. I agree with Mark EG. When someone asks for help, you help them. If you can't be bothered to help because they don't like the same crap you do, ignore them.

It's funny, I love all styles of techno but the absolute one style I have never been into is the UK acid techno thing. I see it spoken of on the forum here all the time but I don't waste my time bashing people for it in their threads. It's pointless, it would be a waste of my time and their's. I'm not here to take any sides. I just want to know why in the hell do you waste your time arguing about stuff that doesn't concern you?

Buttman
25-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Main Entry: funky
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): funk·i·er; -est
Etymology: funk (offensive odor)
1 : having an offensive odor : FOUL

Dustin Zahn
25-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Main Entry: funky
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): funk·i·er; -est
Etymology: funk (offensive odor)
1 : having an offensive odor : FOUL

haha, how ironic...maybe it's fate?

Addict
26-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Has anyone heard Dave the Drummer - Funk Dept - Routemaster 45. What does this come under?
Also De Novo 001 not sure who its by but this is what I mean.

bornaa
26-02-2004, 04:48 PM
what the fuk is funky techno? :neutral:

SlavikSvensk
26-02-2004, 05:09 PM
the only legitimate style of techno is avant-garde-folk-techno. never heard of it? then you so don't know anything about techno... ;)

(addict...pm me and i'll recommend some specific records that have got da funk)

lee_lotzof
26-02-2004, 05:50 PM
its goes on....

how ?

and why?

i love all techno.i like it for it, no matter wot label.if i like it, 'it' is it. full stop it.thats me, yes im sad, im a child, wotever...im sick of this scene damaging other forms.techno is about peace and good people....

i certainly never experience this in a club or withfriends in techno.it amazes me.

massplanck
26-02-2004, 06:37 PM

what the **** is dark techno?

The Divide
26-02-2004, 07:08 PM

what the **** is dark techno?

Its the sound big metal scrap yard machines ****ing :lol:

The Divide
26-02-2004, 07:09 PM
Its the sound big metal scrap yard machines F U C K I N G

Stuart
26-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Its the sound big metal scrap yard machines F U C K I N G

Thats it

It's the sound you get when machines ****.

The Overfiend
27-02-2004, 03:29 PM
save by bypassing tripe like In-Tec .

Show me what you have done thats better or more popular than intec.
Regardless of a what you would consider watered down sound. It still keeps ears ringing of the word techno. Yes there are subgenres of the greater whole but every aspect keeps the music alive in some way shape or form. This very discussion is why techno isnt the one family thing anymore. It's stupid like two people from the same race being racist towards each other.

miromiric.
27-02-2004, 04:05 PM
who ever said they r from te same race? :P

jesus antonio in-tec? hehe you must be joking...

The Overfiend
27-02-2004, 04:09 PM
I'm not waving a flag for em Luka. I'm just saying regardless of whatever they churn out. It still helps techno as a whole.

miromiric.
27-02-2004, 04:26 PM
it does as my bloody anus forsaken on a north pole.

massplanck
27-02-2004, 04:53 PM
I'm not waving a flag for em Luka. I'm just saying regardless of whatever they churn out. It still helps techno as a whole.

here here. why slag off other techno lovers (whatever flavour) as if they least they are listening to mainstream pop.

Everyones tastes change and develop. Just give it time, and dont throw out the baby with the bath water.

tioneb
27-02-2004, 05:32 PM
who ever said they r from te same race? :P

jesus antonio in-tec? hehe you must be joking...

if we are not in the smae race then i know who are the nazis

The Overfiend
27-02-2004, 06:57 PM
it does as my bloody anus forsaken on a north pole.

I thought that was everyday for you? ;)

The Overfiend
27-02-2004, 06:58 PM

here here. why slag off other techno lovers (whatever flavour) as if they least they are listening to mainstream pop.

Everyones tastes change and develop. Just give it time, and dont throw out the baby with the bath water.

Ummmm. I didn't slag anything :eh:

miromiric.
27-02-2004, 06:58 PM
yes it is but its not helping to techno isnt it? ;)

The Overfiend
27-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Not helping techno evolve no, but helping the lifeline yes.

SlavikSvensk
27-02-2004, 07:28 PM
there's obviously room for many different types of techno. it's not my favorite by any means, but there are a couple in-tec records i like for their party aesthetics. that's fine. not everything has to be high-brow. things can be fun too.

there are plenty of great techno records coming out, and i agree with sam, anything that keeps techno viable economically is good for all of us.

Methodixxx
27-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Wise words SOS :clap:

I wasn't going to enter this discussion but you've said what I was thinking ;)

jonnyspeed
28-02-2004, 12:08 AM
Not helping techno evolve no, but helping the lifeline yes.

Man, you souldn't blame one sub-genre's lack of inward involvation on the horizontal diversification of the scene and the gradual intergtaion with other sounds. Hard and mininal techno, for example, aren't a pure form of music. they have evolved themselves from african, US and european influences - later adopted by asia. So, many people don't see a techno sound as something that can't be borrowed from.

I've never quite worked out who votes on what is and what isn't techno - the techno police?

Surely its a personal thing based on parties you go to and everybody has there own tastes whether it be tribal, squat, acid, rave, brazilian, booty/ghetto, minimal, hardtek, techstep, jungle, 2step, JazzStep, 80s SanFran & skate Punk, 60s garage... pop

jake
28-02-2004, 02:10 AM
something can be dark and funky so who the **** cares.. adam beyer has made cliched "dark" techno tracks (like on protechtion) and surgeon has made funky tracks (like la real or badger bite even). not everyone is a musical genius like the aformentioned producers but at the end of the day its all music and most of it is good production, its only the attitudes that suck (and we all have them).

diversify or die in cliche hell.

death on a stick
28-02-2004, 02:32 AM
This thread is constantly getting more painful to read. I'm surprised some of the people that post on here have managed to make it beyond N'Sync, they're so far off the mark.

massplanck
28-02-2004, 02:37 AM

Ummmm. I didn't slag anything :eh:

Ummmm. I didnt slag you : :eh: :

massplanck
28-02-2004, 02:40 AM
This thread is constantly getting more painful to read. I'm surprised some of the people that post on here have managed to make it beyond N'Sync, they're so far off the mark.

then why do you hang around here if we are all so full of shit ?

SlavikSvensk
28-02-2004, 05:03 AM

i'd ask you why in that case you don't leave this thread alone, but it's much more interesting to see people post dumb sh*t like that.

The Overfiend
28-02-2004, 10:21 PM

Thank you!

Methodixxx
29-02-2004, 12:15 AM

Thank you!

Oath... I've been quoting that since I read it...

Methodixxx
29-02-2004, 12:17 AM

Thank you!

Oath... I've been quoting that since I read it...

Dustin Zahn
29-02-2004, 01:31 AM

Hah, diversity...something forum members rarely have themselves.

The Overfiend
01-03-2004, 05:15 PM
So what is to be done to open minds to the fact that there is techno beyond Schranz?

Col
01-03-2004, 06:23 PM
death on a stick> sometimes i find myself fu*ked off with society too, but your venting your anger at the wrong people. stop being such an arse.

leave your bedroom for a minute, you never know, you might even find it bearable.

Col
01-03-2004, 06:28 PM
and just for the record i use the term "funky" to describe specific techno tracks.

oh yeah, and i love this thread.

SlavikSvensk
01-03-2004, 07:22 PM
oh yeah, and i love this thread.

let me make it even better for a second...

JEFF MILLS!

let the predictable bloodbath ensue ;)

stefano1981
03-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Do you know what I find funny about Death On A Stick's point of view. Loads of the minimal/glitch techno guys say the exact same thing about his favourite type of music.[/i]

Ryan
03-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Do you know what I find funny about Death On A Stick's point of view. Loads of the minimal/glitch techno guys say the exact same thing about his favourite type of music.[/i]

Why is that funny??

stefano1981
03-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Cos I find irony funny.

Ryan
03-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Cos I find irony funny.

Do these discussions occur on Blackout Audio?

stefano1981
03-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Clarify that last sentence.

Ryan
03-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Clarify that last sentence.

Do these discussions about glitchy and minimal techno that you refer to take place on Blackout Audio Forums?

stefano1981
03-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Probably not but you've missed my point. It's a general thing in dance music that no matter how much Group A looks down on another type of music you'll alway find another group that looks down on A's music. Kind of sad, but that's the way it is.

Ryan
03-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Probably not but you've missed my point. It's a general thing in dance music that no matter how much Group A looks down on another type of music you'll alway find another group that looks down on A's music. Kind of sad, but that's the way it is.

I know exactly what you're getting at mate, I was merely hinting that it's not ironic at all, as for a start, those kinds of discussions don't even exist on this forum. I saw your post as another way of launching an attack on Death on a Stick, and just think you're wasting your time. ;)

stefano1981
03-03-2004, 11:35 AM
So what you're saying is that unless a topic has been discussed on this bored it can't be brought into new discussions? I was just making an observation about purists and how futile their view is.

Ryan
03-03-2004, 11:46 AM
So what you're saying is that unless a topic has been discussed on this bored it can't be brought into new discussions?

No, not all, I'm just saying that it's not ironic, and it's not funny. :crackup:

crime
03-03-2004, 11:47 AM
I Can't believe this discussion is still going, and it's decended into pointless bickering at the fact that Death on a Stick is completely taking the mick, and you're all getting so riled about it... do none of you lot have anything better to do, or even have the imagination to talk about something worth talking about? I'm not trying to have a major dig, it's just all a bit pathetic, the last 3 pages of drivel I've read in this thread... Move on, Move on...

stefano1981
03-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Well I guess victory is yours. Well done.

Si the Sigh
03-03-2004, 11:52 AM
...this threads funny as funk! :dance:

Ryan
03-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Oooooh, what do I win?? :cool:

death on a stick
03-03-2004, 11:54 AM
I was just making an observation about purists and how futile their view is.
Allow me to make an observation about you: You are ignorant.

Allow me to ask you a question: What is my favourite type of music?

@ crime...nope, nothing better to do. Not right now, anyway.

Si the Sigh
03-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Fergie on Radio 1. Now he's the master of funky techno...

;)

WRAGG
03-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Now thats what i call techno!! ;) :roll: :lol:

Si the Sigh
03-03-2004, 12:08 PM
He's spot on mate! He plays all the latest funky techno from "The greatest funky techno album in the world...ever! part 3"

stefano1981
03-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Ryan you win a medal. :)

DOAS, it doesn't matter what your favourite type of music is because I bet you I can find a group of people who will treat your music with the contempt you treat 'funky' techno.

Ryan
03-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Ryan you win a medal. :)

Excellent!!!

Admin - can you please pin it to my profile? :lol:

Si the Sigh
03-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Has anyone heard Dave the Drummer - Funk Dept - Routemaster 45. What does this come under?

Routemaster - London / Acid techno mate.

De Novo 001 - Is a Chris Liberator remix of what ever the trance tune is on the A-side. Quite a good track.

death on a stick
03-03-2004, 12:34 PM
DOAS, it doesn't matter what your favourite type of music is because I bet you I can find a group of people who will treat your music with the contempt you treat 'funky' techno.
OK, thanks, you've confirmed my initial observation.

Could you now address my question, and while you're at it give examples of what loads of the minimal/glitch techno guys say about my favourite type of music? You obviously know the answer to both, you said it was the exact same thing, but I've never come across it myself.

Could you also explain to me how you came upon the notion that I hold funky techno in contempt? Could you perhaps hypothesise as to why I would have recommended multiple examples of music that I hold in contempt?

Think before you type. Or are you in fact someone who talks before they've remembered that they don't actually have the ability to think? Please don't judge me according to your own ignorance.

Si the Sigh
03-03-2004, 12:37 PM
*yawn*

stefano1981
03-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Well, I assumed that because you're in the hard techno forum that your pretty big into that style of music. Then I realised that the point I was making didn't really have to rely on any particular type of music at all, so I broadened its scope. Comments I've heard about hard techno from the glitch techno scene about this style include that 'It's lowest common denominator techno', that 'it's mindless noise', that it's 'only for people off their faces on drugs' etc etc ad naseum. I don't agree with those views but you always get wankers like that who piss on other genres like that.

Btw, if you think ad hominum arguments strengthen your case they don't, they make you look like a person who has difficulty engaging in an intelligent debate.

The Divide
03-03-2004, 01:51 PM
*yawn*

innit mate

Si the Sigh
03-03-2004, 01:56 PM
...it sure is! i need a cup of tea.

death on a stick
03-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Btw, if you think ad hominum arguments strengthen your case they don't, they make you look like a person who has difficulty engaging in an intelligent debate.
Surely an intelligent thing to do in a debate is to pay attention to what people are saying and respond to that, rather than making assumptions and basing your arguments on concocted scenarios that have no relevance? If I've insulted you it's because you made haughty observations about my posts that served only to show that you hadn't understood them.

And yes, I like hard techno, but I'd agree with many that it has far more than it's fair share of "lowest common denominator" content and in some cases the sub-genres are fundamentally crap and devoid of creativity and in fact do seem to serve little purpose beyond soundtracking the drug experiences of frustrated teens.

I don't belong to any one scene. Me being on this forum or that forum displays no commitment or loyalty to one genre or another. I see the good and the bad everywhere and I'll point out both when I see it. It's people who feel the need to identify themselves with one thing in particular that are worthy of the tag "purist" and on this forum especially I'm probably one of the last people you could justify tarring with that brush. Some of the narrow mindedness displayed here regarding variety in music is astounding. As has been observed here already, those who drag the "purist" smear out most often are the exact same people who are most deserving of it themselves.

Si the Sigh
03-03-2004, 02:09 PM
ADDICT: (if your still reading past all this bollocks) try checking out some labels like RAW, Hydraulix & Apex. Fu*k what anyone else thinks, I think they are pretty 'funky' sounding to me. If your looking at Routemaster & De Novo records (which you said earlier) then these labels will be up your street. And before anyone (Death on a Stick) chucks there thoughts in, I think those labels have some pretty funky tracks on them. Thats my opinion. Everyones aloud to have an opinion & it doesn't make it right or wrong. 'Nuff said.

dirty_bass
03-03-2004, 02:36 PM
You all suck.

Techno is dead.

Long live taiwanese throat warbling, chip butty slapping ,ghetto camp struttin, booty shootin, hard lounge music!!

Easy listening for the hard of hearing!!

death on a stick
03-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Long live taiwanese throat warbling, chip butty slapping ,ghetto camp struttin, booty shootin, hard lounge music!!
You're so behind the times. That was last week's cool genre.

stefano1981
03-03-2004, 02:49 PM
If I've insulted you it's because you made haughty observations about my posts that served only to show that you hadn't understood them.

Understand them? That was probably because the signal to noise ratio was so high, i.e., I had to wade through the insults to find what you were actually saying. ;) As I said, that sort of carry on just gets in the way of what your trying to say (some of it quite valid, I might add).

dirty_bass
03-03-2004, 04:06 PM
PLEASE

LOCK

THIS

GOD

DAMN

TOPIC

IT

REEKS

massplanck
03-03-2004, 04:54 PM
yeah. i agree totally with what you have just said.

lets stop talking.

about funky techno.

is funky techno a genre?

SlavikSvensk
03-03-2004, 05:05 PM
yeah. i agree totally with what you have just said.

lets stop talking.

about funky techno.

is funky techno a genre?

i have this theory. if a track is funky, then it is funky. techno can be very funky. but if a genre describes itself as funky (funky breaks, funky house), then it is probably made by and listened to by decidedly non-funky white people, thus "faking the funk."

scienceofuse
03-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Hehe, it's a known fact that you just CAN'T FAKE THE FUNK!

SlavikSvensk
03-03-2004, 05:26 PM
faking the funk violates the second law of thermodynamics or something...

kako je u sloveniji?

HELL BOY
03-03-2004, 06:10 PM

cheers

Try ppl like marco bailey, red head, filterheadz. Even Fergie (the ex hard house dj) is into funky techno.
Also ppl like pedro delgardo, cave etc. :!:

dirty_bass
03-03-2004, 06:54 PM
FUNK OFF

Ryan
03-03-2004, 07:24 PM

cheers

Try ppl like marco bailey, red head, filterheadz. Even Fergie (the ex hard house dj) is into funky techno.
Also ppl like pedro delgardo, cave etc. :!:

I believe you have just opened the door to another 5 pages of this thread. Great work, on a first post!! ;)

The Overfiend
04-03-2004, 12:05 AM
All techno is funky. Brainiacs.

DJZeMig_L
04-03-2004, 02:00 AM
I don't know if I would describe those artist as funky... funky is more like the chicago tinged stuff really...

The artist u mentioned have kind of a tight more mechanical percussion most of times...

Just my 2 cents, not trying 2 start any flames!

Z

Addict
04-03-2004, 03:16 PM

Routemaster - London / Acid techno mate.

De Novo 001 - Is a Chris Liberator remix of what ever the trance tune is on the A-side. Quite a good track.

Ah :neutral: so I'm asking for the completely wrong music then :scratch:

Si the Sigh
04-03-2004, 03:21 PM
I think you will like the London / acid techno. Like I said, check out Hydraulix, RAW, Powertools, Apex, Cluster, Stay Up Forever; etc.

Addict
04-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Yeah this is the stuff I've been buying lately. but I'd call these label "well known" almost household names. Was after some other labels.

Si the Sigh
04-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Hey mate, give it 5 minutes and you just KNOW someones going to rip you to pieces for saying "well known techno" Stu, go and speak to Chris Hare @ Destiny. He will help you out with your techno needs, weather well known or funky! ;)

Addict
04-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Hey mate, give it 5 minutes and you just KNOW someones going to rip you to pieces for saying "well known techno" Stu, go and speak to Chris Hare @ Destiny. He will help you out with your techno needs, weather well known or funky! ;)

Probably, and mate Chris gave up Destiny to work on his projects as far as I know.
I wish I spoke fluent techno then non of this would have happened, cheers for the help tho Si ;) you one of the few who actually answered my original post.

Si the Sigh
05-03-2004, 08:47 AM
...I knew what you ment. ;) :lol:

djkilo
18-03-2004, 03:56 PM
what the hell is funky techno?
He means Groovin Techno! :bash:

jonnyspeed
20-03-2004, 10:40 AM
NO I'M FUNKY TECHNO

278d7e64a374de26f==