blistanbul
15-05-2011, 03:42 PM
why is it so bloody hard?

ok what do i need to do this?

i have:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31l6n6mRLyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and micro korg and a laptop.

what other things do I need?

do i have the wrong cord? at present i have the usb going into my computer and the other end going to midi out on the keyboard yet no recognition on my computer?

should i buy this instead:

http://www.varologic.com/blog/Images/Male_to_Male_Extension_Auxiliary_Cable.jpg

and is there free software where i can get started for now or are there cheap alternatives?

thanks in advance lads:rant:

ritaheed
15-05-2011, 05:19 PM
get a cheap audio interface, hook your midi cable from midi out of your micro korg to the midi in of the interface, hook up the interface with either usb of firewire to you computer

you will be able to control plugins like that.... if you wanna record the sounds of the korg your gonna need to hook up your audio outs of the korg to the audio ins of the interface

blistanbul
15-05-2011, 06:30 PM
this do:

#CHEAP Brand New Ikey Iconnex Portable Plug and Play USB Powered Sound Card InterfaceIKEY | #Discount MIDI INTERFACES!! Sale,Bestsellers,Good,Cheap,Promotions,Shopping,Sh ipping,BestSelling,Off (http://midiinterfacessale.blogspot.com/2011/04/cheap-brand-new-ikey-iconnex-portable.html)

or this:

E-MU Xmidi 2x2 | Sweetwater.com (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XMIDI2x2/)

qUE
15-05-2011, 07:01 PM
First of all you need to check the USB<>MIDI adapter is installed correctly, then you can test it with MIDI Ox.

If you're getting nothing playing from the keyboard through headphones when you send it a MIDI note command, double check the incoming MIDI channel on the keyboard is setup properly.

Once you've got sound and MIDI response, the stereo jack to jack cable should do, although you may need a jack converter for the micro korg end, if like me you've been through hundreds of headphones DJing you should have a pile of those converters anyway.

As for recording I'd use Cool Edit with Line In input enabled at 0 (line level), but it doesn't matter what software you use really, whatever you feel comfortable with is probably best.

blistanbul
15-05-2011, 10:56 PM
First of all you need to check the USB<>MIDI adapter is installed correctly, then you can test it with MIDI Ox.

If you're getting nothing playing from the keyboard through headphones when you send it a MIDI note command, double check the incoming MIDI channel on the keyboard is setup properly.

Once you've got sound and MIDI response, the stereo jack to jack cable should do, although you may need a jack converter for the micro korg end, if like me you've been through hundreds of headphones DJing you should have a pile of those converters anyway.

As for recording I'd use Cool Edit with Line In input enabled at 0 (line level), but it doesn't matter what software you use really, whatever you feel comfortable with is probably best.

so does this mean i have the right cord or that i need an interface?

i hook the first part for the keyboard and the latter part which is a usb to the laptop.

so is it the second one i need male to male cord which would be one end with a micro korg and headphone converter and the second to the headphone jack of the laptop?

:icon16:

qUE
15-05-2011, 11:23 PM
so does this mean i have the right cord or that i need an interface?

i hook the first part for the keyboard and the latter part which is a usb to the laptop.

so is it the second one i need male to male cord which would be one end with a micro korg and headphone converter and the second to the headphone jack of the laptop?

:icon16:

yep, USB<>MIDI is fine and the audio male jack to male jack cable goes from korg headphone out (or line out if it has it) to line in (normally marked light green) jack input on the laptop.

P.S. assuming you're using windows, you need to change the audio settings to set which input you're recording from (line in).

ritaheed
15-05-2011, 11:44 PM
will the sound quality not be rubbish that way?

qUE
16-05-2011, 03:50 AM
will the sound quality not be rubbish that way?

In terms of the cable, no because the distance is so short and in most cases (even on cheap cable) the ground braded cable wraps around the main cores which give a reasonable interference dampening.

As for the line input on the laptop, yes, mobos nowerdays are so cheaply produced (even on expensive laptops) that the tracks are way to close to everything else and have quick/dirty float terminating circuits that you get pretty bad noise from the ICs on the inputs. Only way around this and I'd say this to anyone who has a new laptop is get an outboard USB audio device, that way you can at least isolate it from other electronics.

DAC/ADC IC quality is important to, but you'd end up paying megabucks for the decent brands (from personal experience; Analog Devices, ROHM and a few others) which tbh you're unlikely to have in consumer products.

Oh yeah and even more joy if you're using Windows 2000 onward. It's built-in idler will cause a ****ton of noise on the mobo from constantly forcing the CPU, etc. to sleep. And the best part is, you can't f. disable it :/

And before Mac fanbois start cheering, Linux has an idler to, so no doubt in my mind Darwin has it also. TBH Apple's audio hardware is a disgrace.

blistanbul
17-05-2011, 01:41 AM

thanks for your help but i still cannot get a sound out from the keyboard.

lets start over again, at my possession:

midi cable one in one out and the other usb plugs.

do i hook both the in and out on the back of mini korg or just the out?

secondly male to male cord which like you said goes to the mini korg's back with a headphone converter to the headphone jack of the laptop.

mini korg on edit select 2 midi. how do you make sure mini korg is working properly for the midi?

i have a demo version of cool edit. i didn't understand what you meant by line enabled 0 , where is that in cool edit?

thirdly where do i change my laptop settings to read the korg?

on the control panel? if so where?

bloody hell why is this so diffucult?

and i have no midi interface.

qUE
17-05-2011, 04:22 AM
thanks for your help but i still cannot get a sound out from the keyboard.

lets start over again, at my possession:

midi cable one in one out and the other usb plugs.

do i hook both the in and out on the back of mini korg or just the out?

secondly male to male cord which like you said goes to the mini korg's back with a headphone converter to the headphone jack of the laptop.

mini korg on edit select 2 midi. how do you make sure mini korg is working properly for the midi?

i have a demo version of cool edit. i didn't understand what you meant by line enabled 0 , where is that in cool edit?

thirdly where do i change my laptop settings to read the korg?

on the control panel? if so where?

bloody hell why is this so diffucult?

and i have no midi interface.

Heh, right

First of all, I would just plug the headphones into the Korg and then try transmitting MIDI to the Korg. The MIDI lead needs to be MIDI out from the laptop to MIDI in on the Korg, how MIDI out is marked on the cable depends on the sanity of the manufacturers I'm afraid, try the "out" male din plug first.

I know the settings on the MicroKorg are a bit of a minefield, my mate Steve Walker has one and we had some issues trying to find the setting to use line in with the vocoder. My guess is the MIDI settings are probably in "Global", you'll be looking for MIDI Rx channel, set it to channel 1. When you test transmit with MidiOx make sure it's channel 1 you're sending to.

Once you've established MIDI transmission with the Korg, change the headphones to the jack to jack going from Korg line out socket (or headphones if it hasn't got line out), and the other end into line in socket on the laptop. And plug your headphones into the headphone socket on the laptop.

To get to the Windows mixer settings for setting up Line in recording you can do it in Cool Edit. Go Options > Windows Recording Mixer, that should spring up the Audio in select source and levels,
Assuming you're using the default Window Mixer and not some awful Realtek or similar mixing console, leave the levels at zero (line level) and on the "select" tick boxes tick the one below Line In. If you can't see Line In, Go Options > Properties and in the list tick Line In in the list then click OK. Tick the select. Then before you close that window, Go Options > Properties > Tick the Adjust volume for - Playback and make sure Line In is ticked in the list, then click OK.
You should have the main Audio out console up, raise the level for Line In, now if you hit a key on the Korg you should hear it through the headphones on the laptop.

Plug the other MIDI din into the out of the Korg to record MIDI, you can also test this with MidiOx.

After that you should be good to go.

blistanbul
17-05-2011, 04:34 AM
Heh, right

First of all, I would just plug the headphones into the Korg and then try transmitting MIDI to the Korg. The MIDI lead needs to be MIDI out from the laptop to MIDI in on the Korg, how MIDI out is marked on the cable depends on the sanity of the manufacturers I'm afraid, try the "out" male din plug first.

I know the settings on the MicroKorg are a bit of a minefield, my mate Steve Walker has one and we had some issues trying to find the setting to use line in with the vocoder. My guess is the MIDI settings are probably in "Global", you'll be looking for MIDI Rx channel, set it to channel 1. When you test transmit with MidiOx make sure it's channel 1 you're sending to.

Once you've established MIDI transmission with the Korg, change the headphones to the jack to jack going from Korg line out socket (or headphones if it hasn't got line out), and the other end into line in socket on the laptop. And plug your headphones into the headphone socket on the laptop.

To get to the Windows mixer settings for setting up Line in recording you can do it in Cool Edit. Go Options > Windows Recording Mixer, that should spring up the Audio in select source and levels,
Assuming you're using the default Window Mixer and not some awful Realtek or similar mixing console, leave the levels at zero (line level) and on the "select" tick boxes tick the one below Line In. If you can't see Line In, Go Options > Properties and in the list tick Line In in the list then click OK. Tick the select. Then before you close that window, Go Options > Properties > Tick the Adjust volume for - Playback and make sure Line In is ticked in the list, then click OK.
You should have the main Audio out console up, raise the level for Line In, now if you hit a key on the Korg you should hear it through the headphones on the laptop.

Plug the other MIDI din into the out of the Korg to record MIDI, you can also test this with MidiOx.

After that you should be good to go.

thanks mate, i'll give that a go tomorrow.

278d7e64a374de26f==