PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Mills releases sci-fi concept album: 2087

blistanbul
23-07-2011, 02:46 PM
any cop?

MITA
23-07-2011, 03:21 PM
http://images.junostatic.com/full/CS429044-01A-BIG.jpg

2087 at Juno Records (http://www.juno.co.uk/products/the-secret/429044-01/)

whats cop?

blistanbul
23-07-2011, 03:42 PM
cop means buy. like is it worth a buy?

so is it?

SlavikSvensk
23-07-2011, 04:12 PM
haven't heard it yet. is it any good?

morbid
23-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Sounds like Jeff Mills to me

JamieBall
22-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Considering his pretentions at 'artistry' - why are his album covers so rubbish ?

I'm really unimpressed by this whole "crawling around on the floor is the next level" business - does anyone know if he recorded this album standing up or crawling around ? That's the dealbreaker for me...

I don't care what it sounds like, I'm only interested in posture based music these days.

JamieBall
22-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Album cover looks like The time tunnel had a fight with The A-Team and somehow David Thewlis got involved.

teknorich
22-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I hear ya about the album cover, he he! Good shout! :rubiggrin:

What do you mean about the crawling on the floor business?

davethedrummer
22-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Considering his pretentions at 'artistry' - why are his album covers so rubbish ?

I'm really unimpressed by this whole "crawling around on the floor is the next level" business - does anyone know if he recorded this album standing up or crawling around ? That's the dealbreaker for me...

I don't care what it sounds like, I'm only interested in posture based music these days.

He makes them himself, with crayons and scissors and glue :approve:

JamieBall
23-08-2011, 12:49 AM
I hear ya about the album cover, he he! Good shout! :rubiggrin:

What do you mean about the crawling on the floor business?

http://www.djconcept.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/millsberlin2.jpg

:-o

JamieBall
23-08-2011, 12:55 AM
He makes them himself, with crayons and scissors and glue :approve:

Actually, Henry, one of my mates "won" some record from him that was in a set of 10 that he'd decorated himself. He had basically 'pimped' the label area of the record with loads of stuck on bits of magazines and, from the looks of it, a few strokes from a black marker.

:-n

JamieBall
23-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Shit is >live< yo

blistanbul
23-08-2011, 01:57 AM
how about the music, any good?

teknorich
23-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Mita posted a link for it mate, under the album cover. Is alright, more home listening than anything. Nice enuff for background music, but a bit too easily ignorable, if you get me.

That pic of Jeff on the floor is bizarre. I dunno about you lot, but the first thing that came to my mind was that my back would be stiff as f*ck after crouching bent over like that for an hour!

JamieBall
23-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Mita posted a link for it mate, under the album cover. Is alright, more home listening than anything. Nice enuff for background music, but a bit too easily ignorable, if you get me.

That pic of Jeff on the floor is bizarre. I dunno about you lot, but the first thing that came to my mind was that my back would be stiff as f*ck after crouching bent over like that for an hour!

The music itself is pretty forgettable, especially when compared to his older work - it just sounds like a continuation thereof but without the initial spark that made his records funny. It seems it's all about the 'concept' these days, with the music taking 2nd place to cutting holes in the floor to install his decks in. Talk about "underground" eh ? I don't really understand the whole crawling about thing, it's just bizarre. Absolute back murder. Still, it's conceptual, so any thoughts of how ridiculous it is need banished in favour of thinking "wow, that's pretty clever to have thought of that - I get it".

Here's a photo of Steve Bicknell playing at Lost. I presume (though I'm not 100%, maybe he's 'at it' too) that he's sitting like this because he is playing before Mills and that's Jeffs setup there. Either that or it's just >ALL ABOUT THE SITTING AROUND< these days.

http://images.fabriclondon.com/blog/bicknellblog.jpg

djshiva
25-08-2011, 05:54 AM

Hahahahahahahaha. Yes.

That cover is complete shite.

djshiva
25-08-2011, 05:59 AM
http://www.djconcept.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/millsberlin2.jpg

:-o

Standing up is SO 10 years ago. In the future, DJs will have evolved beyond having feet.

vinvanman
26-08-2011, 11:11 PM
The covers not that bad, whats in a cover anyway! I think its spot on for this album. For the most part of it, it sounds to me like B movie sci-fi inspired music, hence the cheesy b movie looking dude dashing from the warp laser blast of an attacking ufo :) You certainly won't forget the cover, the music on the other hand, well thats another story. The diehards will love it and there is some good mills stuff on it. Best is Programmed To Kill. Worst Zeller, that track just sounds shit. i agree with Jamie, compared to his older work it just doesn't have that edge. I prefer Hood's minimal nation

BloodStar
01-09-2011, 06:56 AM
guy on the cover looks bit like Al Bundy. not bad.

MITA
02-09-2011, 12:13 PM
The covers not that bad, whats in a cover anyway! I think its spot on for this album. For the most part of it, it sounds to me like B movie sci-fi inspired music, hence the cheesy b movie looking dude dashing from the warp laser blast of an attacking ufo :) You certainly won't forget the cover, the music on the other hand, well thats another story. The diehards will love it and there is some good mills stuff on it. Best is Programmed To Kill. Worst Zeller, that track just sounds shit. i agree with Jamie, compared to his older work it just doesn't have that edge. I prefer Hood's minimal nation

thats what it is right there, and it is justified in total.
man has never done a thing w/o a story behind it.

not to say im in love with the artwork or music in total here, but have always loved and supported conceptual art/music projects.

:wave:

JamieBall
11-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Is the concept behind this "I couldn't be bothered" ? LoL ;-)

JamieBall
11-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Also, loving and supporting conceptual projects is all well and good - I'm all for it. BUT I recall Mills saying years ago that his music takes no real time to create, in terms of how long it subsequently takes him to tie the whole bunch of tracks he has together with a 'concept'.

Strange that music can have a concept applied to it post creation, I always thought.

Then again, I suppose that is, to some extent, the nature of the intangibility of art.

JamieBall
11-09-2011, 11:42 AM
LOOL > BREAKING NEWS <

I just discussed the profundity of the comment "what's in a cover" with a friend, and their response was

"Yes, indeed, why don't all stores just abolish all packaging and all brands can be in the same white packets with a-team style printed lettering on them"

Then I showed them the new Mills cover

"This looks like something someone did on a copy of photoshop from ten years ago. Looks like they've printed it on the same era technology, too. Look at the cd case, it's one of those black bar ones, not even a clear spine. That's so ****ing old style. The inlay doesn't even look like it fits. Jesus, the writing is in the A-TEAM FONT"

LOL, so, er, jury is still out on this one :-)

PS: Just incase anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I'm not hating here, I just think the discussion merits more than one point of view :-)
If you check this out, you'll see I'm clearly a fan of his (earlier) work:

JAMIE BALL - Cynic side B by Jamie Ball on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free (http://soundcloud.com/tp_recordings/jamie-ball-cynic-side-b)

You can even download it so you can whip a horses ass on your own time. It's a real speedy rock song.

vinvanman
11-09-2011, 10:02 PM
"Yes, indeed, why don't all stores just abolish all packaging and all brands can be in the same white packets with a-team style printed lettering on them"

Sadly this has more or less happened with the current era of net labels and downloaded music.

In terms of a piece of art the Mills cover fails but as i said you'll never forget it for its tackiness :) so +1 for Jeff.

The point i was trying poorly to make was this sci fi concept album is represented well with this cover. 50's B movie styled sounds and 50's b movie styled images. i think the cover works for what it is.

278d7e64a374de26f==