PDA

View Full Version : Demo's

Stuart
27-02-2004, 11:56 AM
How do you do your's straight off the cuff or do you practice a set over and over again till it's perfect.

Personally I do one straight off, I think you have to coz you get no second chances in a club.

tioneb
27-02-2004, 12:23 PM
well i actually do and think the same as you ... i just give the people what they should expect of me and no more.

but i do not really care about this since i have the weekly radio show on internet, now i just say "tune in" and people can get the "live" aspect each week

romelpotter
27-02-2004, 12:54 PM
If I am doing a rough mix then I will porb just do it on the fly. but if I am working on a project mix, I will work every little bit out, where to put 3 tunes togeather, where not to put 3 tunes togeather. every little minute detail worked over and over agian and again. Sometimes though I can go a bit to anal about things :doh:

Tony
27-02-2004, 02:58 PM
if its techno then i get a bag of approxiamte stuff that should fit together whichever order i pluck it out. the only planning is first and last tunes.

if its any other genre i work out the set a few weeks before and i use the force and have this uncanny nack of picking out tunes in an order that they are perfect as soon as i practice.

bo!

Dustin Zahn
27-02-2004, 06:03 PM
I just come up with something that doesn't sound like total ass and then send it out. In a recent promo mix I did, I left a few small mistakes in it. People are like, "Whoa man...you ****ed up on your mix."

Yep, I did. I can make a flawless mix if you'd like but there's no doubt I'm going to **** up once or twice in a gig so why lie? Personally, I find most flawless mixing to be boring sometimes. I think there's a certain line between delivering a mix that is reasonable with some **** up's and delivering a mix that is utter crap and proves you can't spin.

I'm also lazy. That probably has something to do with it.

Stuart
27-02-2004, 06:34 PM
if its techno then i get a bag of approxiamte stuff that should fit together whichever order i pluck it out. the only planning is first and last tunes.

if its any other genre i work out the set a few weeks before and i use the force and have this uncanny nack of picking out tunes in an order that they are perfect as soon as i practice.

bo!

I know and I soooo want your bag of records :lol:

daviec
27-02-2004, 07:59 PM
I usually just go straight to it. If I've been having a mess about on the decks and pulled of a mix I thought sounded really good I might try and fit it in so I suppose in that sense there's a bit of rehearsal, but I usually leave mistakes in unless they're incredibly embarrasing.

I manage 99% of my CD's on the first take.

Problem is usually getting my arse in gear when I have the time to do one. :roll:

SlavikSvensk
27-02-2004, 11:56 PM
personally, i feel like i get a choice: mix without mistakes or mix with passion. maybe others of you feel the same way. when i'm on, but just a little sloppy, i also do my best mixes, probably because i'm taking more chances. i'd rather someone hear me make mistakes on a few mixes, but at my best otherwise, than hear me not make any glaring mistakes but be boring.

Orange
28-02-2004, 02:09 AM
Concerning my demos, I prefer the perfect mix. Set high standards, even beyond what you think you are capable of, then, I think you have a promising chance of improving your technique. I'm of the opinion that if you settle for less, you limit your potential. What is your potential? You don't really know. But, if you accept less, why would you be any better tomorrow. If you can mix tight today, most likely, you didn't settle for less yesterday. And in the process of going for the perfect mix, you might learn something that you didn't know before.

There is a fine line to be drawn here, imo, because perfection can be elusively unattainable. No matter how good you are, you can see where you might have done better, so its like a game and you have to accept that fact, especially if you want to get gigged or whatever. You have to give out a demo at some point, and of course, you can be good enough to play out in the clubs without having delivered a perfect mix demo.
To be clear, the perfect mix, imo, is about personal ambition/achievement, and not about impressing anyone, or being better than the next dj.

One life to live. Be your own. ;)

Sunil
28-02-2004, 02:28 AM
Concerning my demos, I prefer the perfect mix. Set high standards, even beyond what you think you are capable of, then, I think you have a promising chance of improving your technique. I'm of the opinion that if you settle for less, you limit your potential. What is your potential? You don't really know. But, if you accept less, why would you be any better tomorrow. If you can mix tight today, most likely, you didn't settle for less yesterday. And in the process of going for the perfect mix, you might learn something that you didn't know before.

There is a fine line to be drawn here, imo, because perfection can be elusively unattainable. No matter how good you are, you can see where you might have done better, so its like a game and you have to accept that fact, especially if you want to get gigged or whatever. You have to give out a demo at some point, and of course, you can be good enough to play out in the clubs without having delivered a perfect mix demo.
To be clear, the perfect mix, imo, is about personal ambition/achievement, and not about impressing anyone, or being better than the next dj.

That's a good post Orange :clap:

killarava2day
28-02-2004, 04:16 AM

Full on, my thoughts exacltly...I couldn't be bothered putting it into words, glas that you've done so though :shock:

SlavikSvensk
28-02-2004, 05:09 AM
yes, very zen. but what if all the time you'd normally spend mixing is taken up by posting on this forum? ;)

Methodixxx
28-02-2004, 06:25 AM
yes, very zen. but what if all the time you'd normally spend mixing is taken up by posting on this forum? ;)

Like me...... arrgghhh.. I haven't done a new mix in aaaaages! Well, a demo mix... I've played a few radio and club sets recently but I can't listen back to them :doh:

romelpotter
28-02-2004, 09:47 AM
when I play out, I reherse a set, then I am inspired by the crowed to mix and with that comes mistakes, which are cool because its live. But there is a difference when I use my pc to do a project mix, I do it in sections and if a **** up, i do it again then once all the sections are done I will work a way of mixing the sections togeather with the tools at my disposal ie cubase ect. then once thats done move it into wavelab and make tiny adjustments to the levels, and thats it, but if I listen to it and it sounds pap, its very hard just to wipe it all and start again, but if its pap..well its pap !!!!! its just my working method. :lol: my dacks are 9 yrs old now and are rearly shagged, to this process can take some time :doh: :lol:

Pathogen
28-02-2004, 10:01 AM

yep, the only 2 that i like to be planned, like to enter and exit on something that little bit special ........ the rest just falls in the middle of it.
as for errors, well.... we're only human, even the best can only acheive 99.9%, if u want to be at 100%, let a computer mix for you :lol:

massplanck
28-02-2004, 01:40 PM
well i actually do and think the same as you ... i just give the people what they should expect of me and no more.

but i do not really care about this since i have the weekly radio show on internet, now i just say "tune in" and people can get the "live" aspect each week

where? when?

tioneb
28-02-2004, 04:41 PM

where? when?

sorry for the insane advertising

www.livesets.com check the radio schedule

278d7e64a374de26f==