PDA

View Full Version : PC help

ritaheed
26-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Needing to de-activate window 7 from my laptop in order to put on my new pc.

I bought windows 7 so it didnt come with the laptop that its installed on, that came with vista however cant find the vista operating discs

Can i still uninstall windows 7 without using vista for the laptop?

The laptop is pretty much goosed and ready for the bin so not bothered

Maybe a simple answer to the question??

Need my windows de-activated to get the new pc up and running so any quick help appreciated

tocsin
26-01-2012, 11:42 PM
If it's hosed, you don't need to "de-activate" it. Just don't use it with Windows 7 anymore. Install Windows 7 on your new machine. You'll likely get a message that you need to call Microsoft when you validate it. Call the number they give you. The process takes all of about 5 minutes at most usually. They'll ask you if you are using it on one machine only. Saying "yes" is usually about as in depth as you need to go. They'll give you a new key to enter over the phone. So long as you don't boot up the old machine with Windows 7 as the OS, you'll be good to go.

If there's still a bit of life in the old laptop, consider installing Ubuntu on it. It's free and quite user friendly generally.

snooch
27-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Also if the laptop has an hdmi out on it, consider ubuntu and XBMC or Plex. It is now an HTPC that you can use as a media center to hook up to your tv. Full dvr capabilities and you can do torrents or usenet files on it also. Sabnzb, Sickbeard and Couchpotato plus a couple of other programs and tweaks are all you need to take care of all your viewing needs. I haven't paid for cable/satellite in well over a year and haven't missed a thing except for shitty commercials. Reddit has a great forum that has almost any resource you will need and will answer any question you will have about it. Cordcutters, Take Control of Your TV, Cut the Cord (and ditch cable) (http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/)

ritaheed
27-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Nice help guys! appreciated!

ritaheed
27-01-2012, 09:32 AM
The laptop feels like its about to go on fire it gets that hot so im pretty sure its for the bin or for parts if anyone is needing - was a good laptop when i first got it aswell

blistanbul
27-01-2012, 10:41 PM
buy a mac!

278d7e64a374de26f==