PDA

View Full Version : i want to buy 2 new monitor speakers...arghh wich ones??

dcdn
02-03-2004, 11:09 AM
hi, i got some money now (500 euros) and want to buy a new pair of monitor speakers, they arent for production/studio use but for home use with my decks. does anyone has got some good recommendations?? i looked for jbl northridge, jamo x series, infinity, tannoy but maybe someone else knows where to get the best sound of?

ampassasinbirmingham
02-03-2004, 01:10 PM
alesis m1 mk actives?

but if i were you, id never mix out of studio monitors?

Ryan
02-03-2004, 01:30 PM
id never mix out of studio monitors?

why not?

BloodStar
02-03-2004, 03:11 PM
I can't see the sense why to have the studio monitors for Djing. If you'll play loud, it'll be not the best for them, imo. and also another issue>>
Do you think you will have some comperable quality speakers in the club as you have at home?
it might be a problem for you, if they'll have some worse speakers, your ears will have problems on them,.,,.

Ryan
02-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Hmmmm, no.

mr acid
02-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Well, got an advice...

Tapco by Mackie S5 ... 500 Euros

By what i've read 'bout them their ok...

DJZeMig_L
02-03-2004, 03:24 PM
I would go for the M-Audio BX8, cuase they r loud enought .. If possible hav' em against corners so u get some extra bass! Keep' em as close 2 u as possible...

Better Nearfield monitoring (generally use 4 home studios) are a bit 2 sensitive to most of the crudeness of djing! ;)

Z

Ryan
02-03-2004, 03:29 PM
Better Nearfield monitoring (generally use 4 home studios) are a bit 2 sensitive to most of the crudeness of djing! ;)

:lol: Maybe for YOUR DJ'ing..... ;) :lol:

ampassasinbirmingham
02-03-2004, 03:31 PM
if your deffo after production monitors the tapco range is mackies range of Budget monitors(500 euros budget??? :shock: :shock: )

there is a review of them in this months Music Tech.

http://www.tapcogear.com/products/s5/index.html

DJZeMig_L
02-03-2004, 03:58 PM
I think there is also a review by SOS mag. which I posted yesterday! ;)

Again cracks, pops, scratching, and some other normal nastyness that happens when djing (even by accident) ain't 2 monitor friendly... Also BX8 ain't all that nice 4 real studio work but the have the puch 4 djing, although sounding a bit harsh in the mid/ High range... (Use' m in a corner 2 get the bass a little heavier and sorta compensate a little!)
Tapco probably don't have enought SPL 4 djing, unless very close 2 yer ears, still not some much low range (only from 60 Hz above) and I've heard they sound a bit boxy when driven a little harder!

Z

Metadog
02-03-2004, 05:13 PM
i totally recommend the alesis m1 mk2 actives

i have got them - so have about four or five mates - we were all that impressed

they have got two amps and a crossover built into each speaker

don't worry about getting them loud enough - even set to half volume they can blow your hair dry (if you've got hair)

there's no point getting crap speakers just in case you play somewhere with a crap system

studio quality is good for mixing if you ask me - means you can really hear what you are doing and you can hear everything that is going on on the record

;)

Ryan
02-03-2004, 05:23 PM
studio quality is good for mixing if you ask me - means you can really hear what you are doing and you can hear everything that is going on on the record

Glad I'm not the only one to think so.

DJZeMig_L
02-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Didn't say I didn't agree they're just not build 4 that.. I know of a couple of people who on the mid run got burned tweeters and loose woofers!

On a budget for nearfield monitoring I would also go 4 the M1 MK2 (or on a tighter budget the Tapco's), it's what I have aswell But I wouldn't us'em 4 mixing.. Luv' em 2 much...

At the shop we have a DJ booth room that we rent by the hour and I know the sort of punish people subjected the M1a that's why we went 4 the BX8 (now we've added a sub).. we're talking 150 Rms agains the 105 of the M1... I agree that the sound isn't comparable but 4 maximum punish (like most people do) these turned out more sensible...

On the other room we have Monitor 2's!?! :doh:

on the "studio" we have Event TR6, M1 Mk2... waiting 4 the Tapco's 4 a trial period!

Z

gustavo
03-03-2004, 04:56 AM
http://www.soundonsound.com/search?url=%2Fsearch&Section=7&Subject=42&Summary=Yes

check ...

gustavo
03-03-2004, 04:57 AM
5 r only for e sub but the rest over 50 (u can read the review hope it helps)

dcdn
03-03-2004, 10:34 AM
have got mackie 624's for producing but the most of you wont recommend studio monitors for ordinary djÃ*ng??? why not, then you can get the best sound out of your records or not? well alesis's sounds fair to me. But what kind of speakers do the people who dont think you should use studio monitors for djing then?? let me hear you, i want to consider all the options

FILTERZ
03-03-2004, 01:30 PM
I use Behringer truths on my decks although i wouldn`t normally touch Behringer stuff these are nice and cheap as opposed to just cheap like so much of their stuff.

professor
03-03-2004, 01:53 PM
for djing i'd buy some inexpensive 2nd hand hoopty speakers (where i live i could probably walk down the street and pick some up at a pawn shop for $50), and figure that they'll get thrashed...
get something with a lot of bass response (even if it can be a little muddy a full volume) and solid mids.
imo you really don't need crystal clear sound for beat'n records

FILTERZ
03-03-2004, 03:09 PM
yeah but how much more i enjoy doing it if it sounds deep,crisp and well balanced than if it sounds shite.

DJZeMig_L
03-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Sorry 2 disagree but most studio monitors sound "terrible" they are ment 2 b truthfull when producing!

Most hifi speakers sound "sweeter" cause they're tunned that way...

I reber have a totally screwed up sound in my old house when it came 2 producing tracks, but I luved djing in there... I had such bass end that felt like I was in the club!

Z

ampassasinbirmingham
03-03-2004, 04:00 PM
buy a club powered monitor. cant get more real to life than that?

FILTERZ
05-03-2004, 09:42 AM
My mackie 624`s and 400 watt sub do not sound shit they sound amazing
as long as you dont put a shit recording through them,not all studio monitors are supposed to sound shit just honest, no one would suggest putting their decks through ns10`s but other speakers sound chunky as f**k
and if you get good ones they get down lower than most hi fi speakers in terms of bass and low end clarity.Oh and my truths sound nice to.

DJZeMig_L
05-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Dare I say that your ears are used to they're sound?

If u compare a resonable Hi-Fi speaker 2 yer monitors, most people will say that the hi-fi sound better (if it can handle the loud levels)... considering that most hifi speakers sound like they've been passed thru an eq with a V shape config, it's understandable that our ears will naturally lik' em more! I mean after a few years of lfe we become lots more sensitive 2 the mid range, kinda like an upside down U, so naturally a linear reprodution sounds harsh 2 us... saying this, I will add that 2 me my monitors sound sweet, but I can remember the time when I got my first nearfields, they sounded like some1 turned on the Loud/ harsh/ Bright button! ;)

No flames really just my humble 2 cents 2 the discussion,

Z

FILTERZ
05-03-2004, 01:25 PM
yeah well there is that , but everyone who has played on them at my studio really likes to mix on them although i have to say that its got quite a lot to do with the sub , best thing to do when buying speakers to mix on i suppose is get some you like the sound of as you have got to hear em a lot, Anyway what about some powered Mackie pa speakers ,neighbours will love it :lol:

DJZeMig_L
05-03-2004, 04:33 PM
yeah I forgot 2 mention the sub... anyways... out of curiosity, u also use that 2 make yer tracks? got loads of people having massive probs trying 2 get they're system 2 sound revealing and as flat as possible with the subs... most of then surf the over-sweet or the hollow! :(
I gave u on having subs 4 nearfield monitoring (while making music) just on the fact that the nears can b quite a task 2 get used 2 and naturally finding what u need 2 "compensate" / "cut" on account of acustic of the room, placement, etc...

Z

djvartan
06-03-2004, 12:44 AM
the Paradigm Mini Monitors! i swear by mine..

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/MonSeriesII/Monseries.html

:cool:

dirty_bass
06-03-2004, 03:19 AM
for mixing just get a good quality pair of hi-fi speakers. Studio nearfields are too clear and make mixing a little too easy. You will never find monitoring like this in a club.
The amount of bedroom DJ`s with high grade monitors I have had on the rig, when it is loud as **** and they can`t mix at all due to not having that perfect crisp sound.

Basil Rush
06-03-2004, 09:55 PM
For some reason when I'm in a club and it's loud as **** with shocking monitoring I find I have no idea what's going on and what I'm hearing yet all the mixes come out ok ... apparently ... god knows how I sure as hell don't ...

dirty_bass
07-03-2004, 12:44 AM
For some reason when I'm in a club and it's loud as **** with shocking monitoring I find I have no idea what's going on and what I'm hearing yet all the mixes come out ok ... apparently ... god knows how I sure as hell don't ...

Ah well, the advantage you have in a club/on a loud rig, is that you can feel the beat. You can really feel when the beat is in and when it is out, the thump under your feet changes subtley.

Metadog
07-03-2004, 02:54 PM
professor - i totally do not understand how you figure the speakers you will mix thru are gonna get thrashed - why ? can't you control the sound level you send to them ? it's not all that difficult to keep things under control you know !!!
to mix in a club you are gonna have to learn how to control your levels, or risk thrashing the rig so much it blows
of course mixing on a rig is different, it is something you can only learn on the spot, but if you can mix precisely on your fat home studio monitors (definately not NS-10's !) and learn how to tune into different rigs and monitoring systems, then you will have it sorted
you can get away with a lot on a big rig as far as bang on 100% beat matching precision goes, and as has been said you should be able to feel if it is in by the pounding on your body
;)

DJZeMig_L
07-03-2004, 03:38 PM
let's not discart the fact that most pa are passed thru compressor/ limiters... so does the monitoring.

I guess there as been a little confusion as 2 what we mean... Of course we all control levels and are very carefull, but if u share the monitors with your studio, then being carefull is just a little more then simple precaution, that one time the u raised the fader 2 fast or u forgot 2 lower the gain, does very simple things that happen every now and then even if u r very carefull can b enoght 2 had up 2 the monitors loosing they're flat response and even eventually break!

SO I guess the case is... should u risk it!

Z

Metadog
08-03-2004, 05:21 PM
my reply is yes

:-)

and with a decent pair of speakers that kick out enough volume when they are not turned up to full you should never need to turn them up so much that the speakers get damaged

and i'd much rather listen to the records that i love on a pair of speakers that can actually strongly and clearly reproduce the full range of sounds that the producer put into the track :clap:

a pair of crappy speakers will sound crappy and you will most likely have to turn them up to close to their max level - risking thrashing them :nono:

DJZeMig_L
08-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Okie,

But what is loud enought? ;)

Crappy speakers... sound bad..... humm kind of depends on yer ear, but I would say that most hi-fi sound relative good... they r made to sound good... not balanced which is a different thing altogheter.

Z

Metadog
15-03-2004, 01:04 PM
what is loud enough ?

dunno but at half volume my alesis mk2's push out enough air so that i can feel it moving on my face and that's loud enough for home mixing i reckon, unless anyone really wants to damage their hearing in which case go louder

wether speakers are crappy or not does not depend on yer ear, although i do admit that personal taste can come into it to a small degree

when it comes down to it, crap speakers are not capable of reproducing sound like good speakers are
that is why they are crap and you can get them for two old buttons from a second hand shop

you can prove this by analyzing the relative spectrums

you will be able to see graphically how a good pair will reproduce evenly over a wider spectrum than the crappy pair

djvartan
23-03-2004, 06:44 PM
http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/News/news3.html

i swear by my Mini Monitors.

best speakers under $1400 ( WAY UNDER )

DJZeMig_L
23-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Just discovered these ... Phonic P8a they sound smoth and do the job... the M-AUdios on the Dj studio @ my shop r out tha door! :)

M-audio r M-Adios! ;)

http://www.phonic.com/images/products/studio_monitor/p8_2.jpg

http://www.phonic.com/html/products/studio_monitor/p8.htm

They shoul cost ya around 500 euros a pair! very nice indeed!

ASAP I'm gonna take these home and try 2 check how they match up 2 the M1 mk2 actives!

audioinjection
25-03-2004, 05:57 PM
I just got the Behringer Truths, they sound really nice and are inexpensive ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==