PDA

View Full Version : Reason - Opinions?

wilki
21-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Hello. I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on Reason? I have the opportunity to do a music production course and the teacher has recommended Reason as a starting point based on my music production experience which is basic.

I've looked online at various sources and what I have seen looks good but I have read the process for actually sketching out some ideas can be quite lengthy as opposed to a DAW like Ableton (my original course preference). Also, there doesnt appear to be VST support with Reason. Is this going to be a major hindrance?

I know the opinion that 'its not what you use, but how you use it', but I would rather use a programme that is actually enjoyable to use both initially and also as I learn more going forward.

I am looking for a few final opinions before I make a decision. Its not a cheap course so any decent feedback is going to be truely valued.

Thanks

MARK ANXIOUS
22-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I personal don't touch Reason. But I can see the use for it and why you would be recommended to use it. It 'teaches' you the old studio way of working, hooking up units with cables and placing you more on a 'hardware' way of thinking. I've recommended it to beginners before. However, I find it tedious, over complex and very difficult to break out of the way it is all 'supposed' to work. I actually started many many moons ago with Cubase (on an Atari) and I'm glad I did. Once you figure out Cubase, programs like Logic, Reaper etc are all a lot easier to learn. You see I don't think there's a 'one program fits all' kind of sequencer. You really have to learn them all to then find out your perfect way of working. Ableton has been a god send for me over the years too, as it's vey quick and easy to get ideas together. FL studio is used a lot too, but I personally hate it lol.

My recommendation therefore is to learn Cubase and Reason alongside each other. Sure, it's gonna be double the amount of work but you'll be glad you did.

Good luck with it all anyway.

:)

278d7e64a374de26f==