PDA

View Full Version : WAAAh!! i sold my gear!

hiroprotagonist
02-03-2004, 06:00 PM
:cry: i decided to start selling what little gear i have. first out the door is my old mc505 and im debating getting rid of my xbass09 (prolly wont). i figure its time to move on and get something new. this sucks because now i dont have a computer (sold it for a laptop that never came) and now im not going to have anything to write with!!!
what gear would you reccomend for someone starting from scratch again. i need it relatively cheap cause im a student but i dont want to go the route of soft synth yet since i dont even know when ill be getting my laptop :cry: i need a core piece i can start writing techno with again.

-hiro

detfella
02-03-2004, 06:52 PM
how about a second hand akai mpc2000?

DJZeMig_L
02-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Nice ideia but I guess the Mpc 1000 has higher specs, and price wise shouldn't b much different! Jus a little tip! ;)

Z

hiroprotagonist
02-03-2004, 07:22 PM
im definetly not a audio gear guru but i dont think an mpc is what im looking for. i have a drum machine already that can make some decent sounds. as far as sampling and what not i would consider that second on my list of things to get after my main synthesizer. i also write sound tracks and melodic orchestral glitch breaks so im definetly looking for the best synth bang for my buck.
what advantages or uses does the mpc2000 have? im actually kind of confused as to how i would integrate that into my studio.

detfella
02-03-2004, 07:30 PM
mpc is used mainly for drums so u don't need that.

synth wise - i love all the clavia range, and people say the virus is awesome. Do a search, i'm sure people have asked about the best hardware synths for techno before. Also, you should go to a sound shop to see which one suits your own needs. All the shops here, let you play for hours.

hiroprotagonist
02-03-2004, 07:44 PM
thanks. i live in california and here they get antsy if you ask too many questions or play for too long with it. it seems to me that im really just going to have to hook up with someone else who writes the music i do and go with them so they can help me make an educated decision

DJZeMig_L
02-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Ok, from what I understood of yer prob, u don't have a pc, hence u r missing what's most needed a sequencer... the mpc ain't just a sampler/drum machine, it is most of all a very very sweet hardware sequencer. In the case of the MPC1000 the synthesis options are much superior 2 the rest of the mpc range (except for it's BIG bro the MPC 4000) so in fact u'd have a sort of resonable S+S synth.
Also don't b so fast in desmissing it's sythesis capabilities (u'll also find that this new baby incorporates efxs ! ;) )

If u don't need a sequencer then it's a all new ballpark...

Give us yer budget we'll fire some options!

Z

slavestudios
02-03-2004, 09:27 PM
second-hand options...

RM1X + Akai S2000

RS7000

thats my bet :lol:

jake
02-03-2004, 10:44 PM
www.vintagesynth.com

hiroprotagonist
02-03-2004, 10:54 PM
aaaaaaaaaargh!!!! well i just found out the money i was expecting to supplement my income from my school has been shanghaid!!!
right now im out a computer and soon to be a synth.
i have a laptop in mind and i shouldnt have much of a hard time to get that but ideally i would love to purchase a couple of used small synths in the novation line (from what ive heard) or the clavia. somewhere around 1000$ for my first buy. its all just really frustrating right now because i thought i had the funds to take care of this all and now it doesnt even look like im going to have much money once i actually move to london in march let alone afford such fine things such as a laptop and synths :cry: damn school

g
02-03-2004, 11:36 PM
i have a laptop in mind and i shouldnt have much of a hard time to get that
then you don't have any problems. a hardware piece or two might be preferable but if you're on a budget the thing you want first and foremost is a computer. you can arguably find a way to do anything with a laptop, including much of it for very little $ or free, depending on how resourceful you are in finding cheap or freeware apps. they're out there.

DJZeMig_L
03-03-2004, 03:35 PM
With PC.. just make sure u get a good soundcard...

Without PC... I would defenatly need a seq. sampler synth... MPC 1000 is yer babey... later try 2 find a 2nd hand novation nova (these were good) and not so expensive, they've been discontinued so if u find' em they should b cheap... the best would b a 2nd hand virus c ...

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==