PDA

View Full Version : Techno artists whom you hated for changing their musical style

blistanbul
29-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Lets discuss your favourite artists who changed their style to your disappointment:

My ones are:

1. Adam Beyer from Swedish Techno to Minimal bollocks.

2. Kiko good italo disco electro to minimal.

3. Oxia Detroit techno to minimal.

blistanbul
29-04-2012, 11:42 PM
preach from techno to trance but he is back to more techno releases now.

umek techno to minimal(i do like some of his electro stuff).

kanzyani from techno to commercial techno.

FuK-NuT
01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
there aint alot out there that have stuck to there roots tbh.

think it would be easier listing the ones still doing the same as they did a few years ago...

acidguru
01-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Chris Liebing comes to mind,loved his Fine Audio and CLR stuff..

blistanbul
01-05-2012, 09:25 PM

think it would be easier listing the ones still doing the same as they did a few years ago...]

which stands out the most?

qUE
02-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Don't really hate artists for doing it, just now don't respect them because they didn't stick to their convictions for the sake of money.

Neil Landstrumm is a prime example of someone who had a pretty unique sound in Techno and then went off to jump on a new fad genre bandwagon.

Electrictribe
02-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Don't hate him but Beyer's style is so far removed form the classic beyer material of old.

Where the **** is Dave Clarke these days? Hate him for not releasing new tunes on vinyl. One of my favourite artisits from way back when he was doing oldschool.

eppertheleper
02-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I realize he's gone back and forth, but I miss hard Richie most of all, then Beyer and Lekebusch. I'd also like to see Colin McBean do some stuff with Cisco again, just for old times' sake.

kev
03-05-2012, 01:44 PM
for me henric b

teknorich
03-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I realize he's gone back and forth, but I miss hard Richie most of all, then Beyer and Lekebusch. I'd also like to see Colin McBean do some stuff with Cisco again, just for old times' sake.

Ditto. Hawtin used to be excellent, and as for Beyer; Drumcodes was a force to be reckoned with. The Advent is far too lightweight/bouncy for me nowadays, his new stuff just doesn't cut it.

The recent FUSE set I posted up here was the first time in a few years I've heard Dave Clarke bang it, but I'm not getting my hopes up that he is returning to his former glory. He used to absolutely ROCK any club; fast, banging, pumping drums, always keeping you on your toes, chopping in and out of records, keeping people dancing & sweating... Good times!

Von Noosh
03-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Don't really hate artists for doing it, just now don't respect them because they didn't stick to their convictions for the sake of money.

Neil Landstrumm is a prime example of someone who had a pretty unique sound in Techno and then went off to jump on a new fad genre bandwagon.

I hear you RE: Landstrumm, WTF about Jamie Lidell!!
Some of his new soul stuff is pretty good however; i bought the multiply album for instance.

On a different genre, what about Dizzee Rascal. His commercial stuff is absolute shite, Boy in da Corner was wicked.

FuK-NuT
04-05-2012, 10:51 AM
all i can really say to all this is thank fuk for my record collection....

mp3 releases just aint cutting it for me just now, sure i get by but its just not
the same imo...my techno buying frenzy started 10 years ago buying labels like
punish, hydraulix, stigmata, drumcode, compound, blackout audio etc and probably most
other loop based tribal bangers....i actually spend more time on discogs adding to this sort
of collection.

WHAT THE FUK HAPPENED????

qUE
04-05-2012, 01:20 PM
all i can really say to all this is thank fuk for my record collection....

mp3 releases just aint cutting it for me just now, sure i get by but its just not
the same imo...my techno buying frenzy started 10 years ago buying labels like
punish, hydraulix, stigmata, drumcode, compound, blackout audio etc and probably most
other loop based tribal bangers....i actually spend more time on discogs adding to this sort
of collection.

WHAT THE FUK HAPPENED????

Hard techno got tarnished with the image of a grimey room full of sweaty blokes thanks to the snidey post-2000 minimal lot trying destroy Techno's popularity and market their scene as a modern, safe and stylish alternative. But what actually happend was that post-2000 minimal music was an inoffensive and accessible format which you could easily sell to anyone and make a heap of cash from. Of course now it's trendy everyone just emulates whoever is popular, and hard techno went back to it's roots in the underground.

FuK-NuT
04-05-2012, 02:24 PM
sounds about right to me fella...

the little minimal collection i have was bought early 2000 for the soul purpose
of warming up my events, i actually enjoy these records more than the pap being
churned out now.

sad days, all events around here all blasting out the 124 - 130 bpm techno fad, no
structure to most nights ive been to of late, actually not a hint of knowledge or
experience imo. the only good thing coming out of it is more youngsters getting into
techno beats but i can garantee there knowlege of techno will hardly go past the last
couple of years. everyone playing of traktor (badly), i fear to mention a set of
technics to most without getting told to get with the times lol

SHITE STATE OF AFFAIRS...not enjoying it.

qUE
04-05-2012, 02:49 PM
sounds about right to me fella...

the little minimal collection i have was bought early 2000 for the soul purpose
of warming up my events, i actually enjoy these records more than the pap being
churned out now.

sad days, all events around here all blasting out the 124 - 130 bpm techno fad, no
structure to most nights ive been to of late, actually not a hint of knowledge or
experience imo. the only good thing coming out of it is more youngsters getting into
techno beats but i can garantee there knowlege of techno will hardly go past the last
couple of years. everyone playing of traktor (badly), i fear to mention a set of
technics to most without getting told to get with the times lol

SHITE STATE OF AFFAIRS...not enjoying it.

Yeah, I'd never diss minimal done by robert hood or dan bell and that era, and dare I say it early plastikman, panikattack is still one of my favourites of that genre.

And don't get me wrong about the move to digital tech. I think all in all it's a good thing, I'd be hypocritical if I said otherwise since I've been developing software way before ableton and traktor came along. It's just there needs to be some middle ground, mixing can still be done with decks and software, even if it's the holy grail of mixing down tracks realtime, a dial-board mixer would be more skill than just automating it with presets. Trouble is, the whole playing live whether it being turntables/mixer, synths/samplers or loop layering, it takes a huge amount of skill to do it realtime and years and years to master and develop your own style. People are inheritely lazy and will always take the easy route, use someone else's sounds/presets and style, rubbish anything that might whip away the illusion you've put in some effort, showboat and take the credit.

BranLanen
23-05-2012, 09:18 AM

+1 about that...

In that context I have to say I'm disappointed seeing Jay Denham or Joey Beltram playing "modern minimal", also disappointed with the new sound of Cisco Ferreira, Umek, Kanzyani, Adam Beyer,... can't believe when I hear the sound of the recent Drumcode or Synewave...

Also I'm disappointed when I see some good mixers only looking to the laptop and drinking, combing the great bangs, talking with the young fangirls at the stage....
I miss too much that people mixing vinyls with their own hands, taking risk, sweating and making something unique at the time.

MashUp
01-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Personally i like the new minimal tracks as much as the older stuff, I can appreciate all of it, The problem these days is too much emphasis is placed on what "genre" you like, But to any true dance/rave music lover, you should love them all regardless!

The Overfiend
07-06-2012, 07:49 PM
EVERYONE
Fcuk Everybody, lol.

JamieBall
11-06-2012, 01:04 AM
^^ what tony said. True words. It's a gimpfest out there these days.

Leading Astray
11-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Umek for sure. Really not into some of his new stuff.

The Overfiend
24-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Who gives a **** who's softened up, who's changed their style.
I still listen to Slayer. You know why? Because they are still ****ing SLAYER, and because they are honest to do what they became known for and try to be better at it everytime.
An even better example, Cannibal Corpse, they remain brutal, and get better at what they do everytime.
The techno producer, and "fan" are ****ing fairweather, bending their tastes and production styles to the masses and what attracts the dollar.
Techno has changed, because the artist has allowed it to change them, all in pursuit of a buck. To the producers and dj's who don't depend on this medium for their source of income, they remain true to art, which last time I checked, techno was supposed to be, an audio artform. But to the victor the spoils, I am not burnt, because I'd rather listen to cats who keep it true to their art, like my brother DSP, than I would another artist who was the shit in the late 90's early 2000's and went with the crowd.
The answer shouldn't have been to alienate themselves from techno or hard techno, it should have been to do it better, and do it better consistently, the listener should have been able to tell the two apart, even if eventually.
I don't, haven't and never will depend on music for a living, because it is unrealistic unless you make music for the masses, or are just a lucky cunt, who people happen to take a liking to your material that much.

In the end, I hate no one, respect, well, whatever, I'm a grain in the sand, but I wish there was a new slamming couple of releases from Skoog, Wilson, Slobodan, Headroom, Hardcell, you know, the guys who did it right the first time around....

djshiva
14-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I have plenty of thoughts on this, but the one I think is most important is that anyone who makes safe, tepid, inoffensive, and unadventurous music for the sake of making a buck, playing Ibiza, and paying for their hip shades and haircuts, can pretty much f*ck right the frak off.

And that goes for any genre. If you're doing it for any reason other than because you can't imagine your life without music, I don't give a frak how much money you make: you're a disposable piece of shit.

Jackblack
14-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Speedy J, Luke Slater / Planetary Assult

Dorris
01-08-2012, 03:08 AM
Hard techno got tarnished with the image of a grimey room full of sweaty blokes thanks to the snidey post-2000 minimal lot trying destroy Techno's popularity and market their scene as a modern, safe and stylish alternative. But what actually happend was that post-2000 minimal music was an inoffensive and accessible format which you could easily sell to anyone and make a heap of cash from. Of course now it's trendy everyone just emulates whoever is popular, and hard techno went back to it's roots in the underground.

Doe's it even have any life left in the underground?

Dorris
01-08-2012, 03:12 AM

think it would be easier listing the ones still doing the same as they did a few years ago...

I have changed musical preferences many times over the last 20 years because I have got bored. It must be ten fold for producers.

qUE
01-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Uh yeah, there are still plenty of people producing the style so it's very very much alive and kicking.

I started a group a while back on soundcloud to discover if there was anyone else still making hard industrial techno, and loads of people came out of the woodwork from all over the globe.

Dorris
01-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Uh yeah, there are still plenty of people producing the style so it's very very much alive and kicking.

I started a group a while back on soundcloud to discover if there was anyone else still making hard industrial techno, and loads of people came out of the woodwork from all over the globe.

People may be producing it, but the scene in London is very much dead.

qUE
04-08-2012, 10:47 PM
People may be producing it, but the scene in London is very much dead.

If you mean lack of opertunaties for new artists in London you`ve got a couple of factors to take into account. You`re in the capital of the UK, so the population of people is extremely high which works in two ways, you`ve always got someone beating youy to the chase of a gig and you got a vast audience as long as you entice them to listen. Other than that you`ll probably always be met with the sensible advice that if you want a gig, you`ve got to make it happen, book a venue, get mates to play and hammer away at physically promoting what you`re doing, I`ve found out a few times that most people don`t look to the internet for ideas on where to party, word of mouth is king.

xes
05-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Dave Angel used to play some proper f*cking wicked tunes in the early 90s.

Basically, we all wish it was 20 years ago again.

qUE
05-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Dave Angel used to play some proper f*cking wicked tunes in the early 90s.

Basically, we all wish it was 20 years ago again.

Dave angel classics is a testiment to the belgian techno style he used to play. He then sold out somehow, I remember listening to BBC radio/Pete Tong in Ibiza and surprise surprise Dave Angel was playing and he started his set with the same tune everyone was playing in their set there, Born Slippy. Don't get me wrong, it was a good tune as long as you let it play out which it then went into banging techno, obviously nobody did. Dave Angel also seemed to release a torrent of "Jazz" techno stuff which TBH wasn't here nor there, probably trying to find a new sound and failing.

Dorris
09-08-2012, 12:44 PM
If you mean lack of opertunaties for new artists in London you`ve got a couple of factors to take into account. You`re in the capital of the UK, so the population of people is extremely high which works in two ways, you`ve always got someone beating youy to the chase of a gig and you got a vast audience as long as you entice them to listen. Other than that you`ll probably always be met with the sensible advice that if you want a gig, you`ve got to make it happen, book a venue, get mates to play and hammer away at physically promoting what you`re doing, I`ve found out a few times that most people don`t look to the internet for ideas on where to party, word of mouth is king.

There are no good parties in London, full stop. It's over, time to emigrate.

xes
10-08-2012, 08:20 PM
I certainly don't feel safe at London squat parties anymore. But there are still some really good club nights on. You've got to search for them, but they exist!! (ok, you can't snort K off the floor from someones vomit, but you can still enjoy the night safely without getting robbed blind by some crack head cunt.

Elvio Neto
22-08-2012, 11:14 AM
the only thing that bothers me is why they didnt create a new name for this new genre of music (that mix of house with clicks and pops called minimal techno)

they still call it techno and its hard to find a techno event or a techno record becouse of that , it even killed the main techno (in some cases becouse in Portugal/spain techno is still techno, we still have great events and clubs )

techno minimal is nothing new , in the 90`s techno minimal was like "heiko laux - hangin" for example and was good music, now its totally diferent... so this new style should had a new name

now the styles are extreme there is hard techno ,jump style , minimal techno (LOL) and dark electronica nothing more... (the good funky techno , tribal techno and all that styles are gone...)

even A.Paul that i liked so much in the 90´s changed is style in is new label Naked Lunch ( i remember very well the good labels he made in 90´s , ONH.CET , Squeeze , x-club , and others)

i hate simple and boring music... i like percutions , rythms , good grooves , funky , and all of that is gone... now you only got clicks and pops (minimal techno) or a beat + a bass blasting like a empty loop (hard techno)

i give up producing since 2010 but im considering coming back but moving to hard house or tech house or some kind of music like "Xhin - Key" <-- like this one sounds like the original minimal from the 90´s

the problem for me is not the new styles , the problem is REPLACING the styles , looks like techno was replaced to another kind of music

check rock for example that never append in there , hardcore is still harcore , speed power metal is still speed power metal , black metal is the same etc etc and in the same time new styles are born every year with new followers (you are free to choose what concerts you want or what kind of music you want to buy)

djfilthmonger
08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
hate is a strong word ha I wont say hate , some of the artists mentioned already I miss their old ways alright.
Alex Calver what a great producer of solid techno and hard techno. Really really dont like the stuff he makes these days . Would be great to have him back. umek aswell one of my favs of all time

ColinHQ
17-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Bas Mooy, Mauro Picotto. Not a fan of the slower minimal style, it bores me tbh. Patrick DSP is in danger of doing this too. He's one of my all time fave techno DJ's/producers as well :(

qUE
18-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Bas Mooy, Mauro Picotto. Not a fan of the slower minimal style, it bores me tbh. Patrick DSP is in danger of doing this too. He's one of my all time fave techno DJ's/producers as well :(

Have I missed the genre of speedminimal? :D

emblem
24-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Chris Liebing comes to mind that is too good.and other singers have good stuff.lol

Patrick DSP
04-11-2012, 01:56 AM
double post sorry..

Patrick DSP
04-11-2012, 01:57 AM

much appreciated, but i play to a wide range of crowds. The sets you hear from me depend on the crowd/club/time slots. I hate doing studio sets because they're made to an empty room, but i'll tailor them to the radio show requesting it. i'll still bang it out when appropriate. Times and music always changes but i'll always have acid in my viens. In the end i try to do what i like and what makes me shake my butt, i hope it shakes yours too. =]

http://soundcloud.com/patrickdsp/patrick-dsp-florida135

JamieBall
28-02-2013, 08:48 AM
"looks like techno was replaced to another kind of music"

EXACTLY. IT'S BEEN WATERED DOWN BY ALL THE ****ING TRYHARDS FALLING OVER THEMSELVES TO PLAY AT AWAKENINGS AND TO SUCK THEIR OWN COCKS IN FRONT OF EVERYONE. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MUSIC IT'S ABOUT BEING ACCEPTED BY OTHER MEMBERS OF THE FECKLESS "ROYALTY". DON'T ROCK THE BOAT. DON'T DO ANYTHING THREATENING/DIFFERENT. JUST PLOD ALONG ON YOUR PISS BORING COURSE MAKING TOTALLY AVERAGE MUSIC FOR THE TOTALLY AVERAGE PEOPLE WHO NOW LISTEN TO "TECHNO". THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO IS CHALLENGE YOURSELF OR OTHERS WITH SOMETHING DIFFERENT OR INTERESTING.

I'M NOT DOWN WITH THAT. ALL THESE PEOPLE SHOULD JUST GET THE **** OUT AND GO FIND ANOTHER GENRE TO RUIN. THERE IS NEXT TO >NO< GOOD TECHNO OUT THERE THESE DAYS, I DON'T GIVE A **** WHOSE NAME IS ATTACHED TO IT IT'S ALL (FOR THE VERY LARGE PART) UTTERLY THROWAWAY AND SOULLESS. LISTENING TO TECHNO SETS THESE DAYS I'M LIKE "DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT'S ****ING GOOD ENOUGH ?".

IT'S ALL A HAVEN FOR UTTER ****ING NERDS THESE DAYS. ENGINEERS, NOT ARTISTS. UNFORTUNATELY, THE IDIOTS HAVE OVERTAKEN THE ASYLUM.

JamieBall
28-02-2013, 08:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aueSqBGMhs

THIS IS A CASE IN POINT. I DID THIS MIX YESTERDAY ONLY TO BE TOLD BY NIGH ON EVERYONE WHO LISTENED THAT THEY WISHED PEOPLE ROCKED IT LIKE THAT THESE DAYS.

MY QUESTION IS - WHAT THE **** IS STOPPING THEM ?

WELL, ASIDE FROM LACK OF TALENT AND BALLS.

I'M NOT WISHING TO SUCK MY OWN COCK HERE BUT I'M RUNNING OUT OF EXAMPLES OF (TO ME) "PROPER" TECHNO. I'VE NEVER CHANGED MY STYLE, I DO ALL KINDS OF MUSIC BUT MY TECHNO HAS ALWAYS ROCKED LIKE THIS. WHY THE **** WOULD I WANT TO LOSE ALL THE MAYHEM AND FILL MY MIXES WITH >NOTHINGNESS< AND THAT ****ING ALL PERVASIVE HISSING NOISE THAT'S ON >EVERYTHING< THESE DAYS ? WELL, UNLESS OF COURSE I WANT TO PLAY AWAKENINGS OR SOME OTHER SUCH SOULLESS MONEY GENERATING SHIT FEST CUSTOM MADE FOR MORONS. "OH, I PLAY RAVES WITH 100,000 PEOPLE" << DOES NO-ONE SPOT THE PROBLEM HERE ?? DOESN'T MATTER, EH, AS LONG AS YOU'RE A "BIG NAME" AND CAN SUCK YOUR OWN COCK IN ENDLESS PRESS RELEASES AND SUCHLIKE. THAT'S WHAT BEING A MUSICIAN IS THESE DAYS, RIGHT ?

I'M CALLING TIME ON THESE STUPID MOTHER****ERS. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

I REALLY DO LAY THE BLAME SOLELY AT THE DOOR OF "PRODUCERS" JUST TOTALLY ****ING THINGS UP WITH PISS BORING MUSIC THAT GIVES PEOPLE THE WRONG IDEA ABOUT TECHNO. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A LAPTOP IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE A DANCE MUSIC PRODUCER. IT MEANS YOU CAN >PRETEND< TO BE ONE, BUT THAT'S DIFFERENT.

ALL I SEE IN "TECHNO" NOWADAYS IS EMULATION, NOT INNOVATION. SAD DAYS AND THE SITUATION HAS NEVER BEEN WORSE. THE ONLY PEOPLE DOING ANYTHING REMOTELY INTERESTING ARE THOSE HIDING IN THE MARGINS.

IT'S SIMPLE, BASICALLY, ANYONE WITH A "PROMO PACK" IS A CUNT.

"OH, BUT YOU'VE GOT TO PROMOTE YOURSELF AS AN ARTIST" HAVE SOME ****ING CLASS FOR ****S SAKES. GOOD MUSIC SPEAKS FOR ITSELF, ALWAYS HAS. NO-ONE NEEDS TO READ A PRESS RELEASE ABOUT WHO YOUR FRIENDS ARE OR HOW MUCH OF A COCKSUCKER YOU'VE BEEN IN THE LAST YEAR. SAVE THAT FOR PEOPLE WHO NEED SPOONFED INFORMATION IN ORDER TO ACCEPT/UNDERSTAND SOMETHING. THIS WAS NEVER THE WAY TO TALK TO THE TECHNO AUDIENCE BUT NOW THAT THESE WANKERS HAVE LOWERED THE BAR TO THE EXTENT THAT MORONS CAN NOW APPRECIATE THEIR MUSIC THIS SORT OF SHIT IS IMPORTANT.

"OOH CHECK OUR EXCLUSIVE VIDEO INTERVIEW WITH OUR AMAZING ARTISTS!!" << ****ING KILL YOURSELVES. GO BECOME POP STARS IF ADULATION IS WHAT YOU SEEK. CUNTS.

JamieBall
28-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Basically, in short, can someone just start ****ing rocking for a change ??

MARK ANXIOUS
23-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Love Jamie's passion here. MASSIVE AGREEMENT with loads of this post, but loads I don't. Piss boring music - YES. Lack of talent - YES. It's so damn easy to sit in that studio with a copy of Ableton, bang together a track in 2 days - that only changes slightly every 32 bars. Oh yeah let's stick a break in - that'll sort it.

In fact, every style of music is suffering from this at the moment. Doesn’t even matter if it's techno.

But the real fault here lies with the promoters imho. Afraid to take risks, afraid to jump out of what's 'hot'. And what's 'hot' at the moment is the guy with the best press pic, the guy that is on FB/Twitter most, the guy with the new affiliation with the most 'in fashion' label. It's so XFactor isnt it. The easy option….

That's not saying you cant have a press pack, a nice website, look at least professional. Makes you feel professional. Why the hell not. I'm not messing around with my music so the 'image' of it is kind of important to me….

However, what I don’t agree with (and tbh the point of alot of this post) is that people can't change styles. Oh I must go in that nice little box forever and make only that kind of music. Well I'm sorry. I for one dont wanna do that. F**k you. I never signed up for that. TBH If we wanna get down to business - alot of the 'pure techno' that is talked about in this post is silly, cause pure techno is surely Detroit techno end of?

Which evolved from the 80’s.

Isn't the idea to just follow what you believe in, no matter what the style? And cant that change over time? Or am I missing the point of techno here?

Sure, you might not like Bas Mooy's new style, or anyone's new style for that matter, but you gotta say, well that's their choice. Get over it guys and do your own thing.

When Chrissi and I were making music in 2000 as The Anxious, we lost SERIOUS heart when techno went minimal. But ultimately, it made us change our ways in the studio, not sit in the past. And now, we feel like we have a massive message in our new music. It's not a carbon copy of the old message we had, but it's evolved, improved, futuristic. The point of techno.

We've never EVER sat there painting by numbers when we make techno, taking the easy option. We take up to 2 months doing a single track. That’s why it took 2 years to do our forthcoming album. And we feel massively motivated because of it. Passionate, focused, devoted. ALWAYS. Screw everyone else.

If I'm the only person liking it, I really dont care. **** you.

Surely that's techno?

www.theanxious.net

Craig_Lea
24-04-2013, 01:22 PM
The two artists I'm most disappointed in for knocking out boring shit nowadays are definitely Speedy J and Technasia, or technically, Charles Siegling.
Since Amil Khan left, Siegling seems content with the Minimal route. His DJ sets are piss poor too.

And Speedy J is even worse.
Changing styles is fine, I get it. No problem with that at all.
I just can't get my head around someone who has made banging Techno and beautiful electronica to be content with both producing and playing out metronomically boring shit.

This popped up on my SC stream this morning, so I thought I'd give it a chance.
FFS. Honestly, though, what the ****?

https://soundcloud.com/jochempaap/clr-podcast-217-speedy-j

Press play, and then skip through every couple of minutes or so at the highest points of the mix.
You know what I hear?
Pretty much exactly the same kick sound, and cock all variation, for an hour and ten minutes.

yeswehavetheright
15-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Oliver Ho springs to mind. He's pushing a minimal sound, although the quality and some of the sounds he uses are still up there. Real shame as he made some of the best and most varied techno around in the late 90's/early 00's.

qUE
16-05-2013, 02:31 AM
, cause pure techno is surely Detroit techno end of?"

Agree with you on most points, but this is wrong. Techno was developed long before Detroit, I don't give a shit what people say about the Belleville Three, it's complete marketing bullshit on their behalf. There were people creating Electronic stuff along the same lines as we'd call 909 long before the 909 actually existed.

And on the quote of being one tracked, it isn't as bad as it's touted to be, there must be a core of people keeping it true otherwise you'd have it all turn into a munge of shite, which the bandwagon lot are trying aren't they?

The laptop stuff sounds flat IMHO, you've only got to listen to the creators of Ableton, etc. music to see why it's like that. Plus the technology itself is really cheap and nasty, it's pretty much profit over quality these days regardless of how much you pay for it.

And yes, I am an authority on this :D

yeswehavetheright
16-05-2013, 09:44 AM
The laptop stuff sounds flat IMHO, you've only got to listen to the creators of Ableton, etc. music to see why it's like that. Plus the technology itself is really cheap and nasty, it's pretty much profit over quality these days regardless of how much you pay for it.

And yes, I am an authority on this :D

Must agree, I find a lot of Monolake stuff sounds thin and digitized. Too much white noise

DarkYoung
16-05-2013, 10:40 PM
what ever happened to dave the drummer?

blistanbul
18-05-2013, 04:10 AM
what ever happened to dave the drummer?

he feels gutted he didn't produce the new daft punk album.

djfilthmonger
21-05-2013, 04:29 PM
I like his sets that he has lately but I do miss the energy from the older stuff, That daft punk album is horrible :-(

blistanbul
22-05-2013, 04:15 AM
get your ears sorted mate.

it is a very good album.

within and the strokes collaborations are ace..

i don't think you gave it a fair shot or listened to the whole album properly.

blistanbul
22-05-2013, 04:17 AM
Agree with you on most points, but this is wrong. Techno was developed long before Detroit, I don't give a shit what people say about the Belleville Three, it's complete marketing bullshit on their behalf. There were people creating Electronic stuff along the same lines as we'd call 909 long before the 909 actually existed.

'

interesting post.

can you name some artists who you feel did that?

probably kraftwerk being one.

qUE
22-05-2013, 04:08 PM
'

interesting post.

can you name some artists who you feel did that?

probably kraftwerk being one.

This drum machine existed commercially in the 1950s for a start;
www.youtube.com/v/QLgyQG8Pu8s

YMO were using the term Techno in the 70s, hence Technopolis (I'm sure they're not the first)

Various synthesis pioneers like Raymond Scott, Max Mathews & Jean-Claude Risset, John Chowning (responsible for Yamaha's FM line), etc. were mucking around with sound modeling and sequencing long before synth keyboards became commercially available.

With enough searching around there's no doubt you'll find recordings of 4/4 rhythms. I know for a fact I've heard early Raymond Scott stuff with downtempo simple 4/4 on the MRI album.

Yeah sure you probably won't find the Disco/Funk influenced stuff pre-dating late 70s, but then Techno at its core isn't connected with those genres anyway.

qUE
27-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Heh, seems BBC sound effects dept. were also on the case in the 60s;

www.youtube.com/v/szE5D-dPs_Y

djfilthmonger
29-05-2013, 12:24 PM
get your ears sorted mate.

it is a very good album.

within and the strokes collaborations are ace..

i don't think you gave it a fair shot or listened to the whole album properly.

Thats your opinion I love daft punk and I honestly think their new album is terrible.
I have listened to it properly and it all sounds the same.
Last time I checked I could decide for myself weather I like something or not .
So go f*uck yourself sideways with a jackhammer till next Sunday jumping in with your if i like something everyone has to bullshite .

DarkYoung
29-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Thats your opinion I love daft punk and I honestly think their new album is terrible.
So go f*uck yourself sideways with a jackhammer till next Sunday jumping in with your if i like something everyone has to bullshite .

lolz

force
30-05-2013, 05:03 PM
lolz
+1

monkeyflavours
28-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Nothing wrong with slowing something down to find a new groove.

blistanbul
29-06-2013, 05:26 AM

no you have hard time understanding my words you bollock chops.

i said i don't think you gave it a proper listen or gave it a fair shot sometimes an album can be a grower.

i honestly like this album a lot more than the first listen i gave it even though i thought it was a decent effort in the first place.

there, next time pay the ****kk attention or shut your bleeding mouth ey?

saves me the effort to correct your cunttin arse.

DarkYoung
29-06-2013, 05:58 PM

i said i don't think you gave it a proper listen or gave it a fair shot sometimes an album can be a grower.

i honestly like this album a lot more than the first listen i gave it even though i thought it was a decent effort in the first place.

there, next time pay the ****kk attention or shut your bleeding mouth ey?

saves me the effort to correct your cunttin arse.

give it a rest ffs

shouldn't you be joining your turkish brothers and uprising in the homeland?

blistanbul
30-06-2013, 04:52 AM
give it a rest ffs

shouldn't you be joining your turkish brothers and uprising in the homeland?

why would i give it a rest?

are you stupid or what? i couldn't give a toss what a yorkshire tosspot thinks of my country. and i couldn't give even further toss what a waterford wander thinks of daft punk.

neither brings me money truth or anything important.

DarkYoung
30-06-2013, 07:12 PM
why would i give it a rest?

are you stupid or what? i couldn't give a toss what a yorkshire tosspot thinks of my country. and i couldn't give even further toss what a waterford wander thinks of daft punk.

neither brings me money truth or anything important.

good values

blistanbul
02-07-2013, 02:19 AM
i am bit of tired of your blocking answers too. do you speak to people from normal walks of like this to? when they say hi you say blue?

for example why don't you write something relevant? did you like the album or not?

DarkYoung
02-07-2013, 09:17 AM
i am bit of tired of your blocking answers too. do you speak to people from normal walks of like this to? when they say hi you say blue?

for example why don't you write something relevant? did you like the album or not?

i'm more interested in your lack of support for the Turkish Spring.

Microdot
05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
It's so damn easy to sit in that studio with a copy of Ableton, bang together a track in 2 days

Who the fcuk takes 2 days to finish a track?

jk mate ;)

blistanbul
08-07-2013, 04:04 AM
i'm more interested in your lack of support for the Turkish Spring.
\of coarse i support and share the same feelings as the protestors.

the government showed its true face but unless there is a big economic crisis which can happen later this year, they will win comfortably as the anatolian and more religious fraction of the society will continue to vote for them.

secondly it was disgusting to watch the government send police to attack the protestors and not do anything to those police who broke the law.

by the way government blamed the jewish lobby. they kind of think like you.

DarkYoung
10-07-2013, 07:46 PM
\of coarse i support and share the same feelings as the protestors.

the government showed its true face but unless there is a big economic crisis which can happen later this year, they will win comfortably as the anatolian and more religious fraction of the society will continue to vote for them.

secondly it was disgusting to watch the government send police to attack the protestors and not do anything to those police who broke the law.

by the way government blamed the jewish lobby. they kind of think like you.

quite.

btw i havent heard the new daft punk album, but i dont think i wll be doing so anyway. not really my bag.
they masde some good stuff about 13 years ago or so. then they went very lame. elevator/supermarket techno.

djfilthmonger
30-07-2013, 01:23 PM
I love Daft Punk a lot actually just not the new album. Can I not be entitled to say something like. Do you even know where Waterford is ?? If you don't care what my views are why do you think I need your convincing or give a shite what you think?

djfilthmonger
30-07-2013, 01:37 PM

Huh? I said I did give it a proper listen did I not? You said get my ears tested? why because I dont like something you do? You make no sense and talk absolute bullshit.

force
30-07-2013, 02:48 PM
we need a like button on here

qUE
31-07-2013, 12:22 AM
we need a like button on here

I think you just post a response of +1 or Like, seems to be the usual forum etiquette. But to be honest with all this squabbling on this thread, I'm not sure what's to like :/

Unless I've missed something and this is artists literally hating each other on a thread, for changing their music style. Then I suppose that's fair, I dunno, all seems a bit negative IMHO.

djfilthmonger
31-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Agreed! sorry that guy just annoys me is all. Sooooo Cari Lekebusch ? Always like what he has done or is doing and no matter how he changes it keeps my attention.

qUE
01-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Agreed! sorry that guy just annoys me is all. Sooooo Cari Lekebusch ? Always like what he has done or is doing and no matter how he changes it keeps my attention.

Haven't heard any of Cari's new new stuff, although didn't rate his "Architect" mix when I last listened. I personally miss the early Planet Rhythm and Hybrid days which all the artists seemed to have in recent days watered down a hell of a lot, but then I'll probably get accused on not getting with this "contemporary sound" Techno :P, another term for lazy and no energy IMHO

xarlin
02-08-2013, 03:45 AM
Umek i realize he's not on the right track..

slinkiemusic
18-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Its a bit of a limited view to hate artists for changing their style, it comes with the territory of producing music that you will eventually want to do something different. The desire to progress is what got these artists where they are

That being said I wish Adam Beyer would make some more of his older stuff

qUE
21-03-2014, 03:07 PM
The desire to sell out is what got these artists where they are

There, fixed.

eppertheleper
23-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Who did Gunjack get into it with on here a few years back? I think that would probably count as hate on both sides. DSP had a pretty public breakup with, wasn't it DJ Pauze?

DarkYoung
18-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Who did Gunjack get into it with on here a few years back? I think that would probably count as hate on both sides. DSP had a pretty public breakup with, wasn't it DJ Pauze?
gunjack, classy guy

Dizz
22-04-2014, 10:45 PM
yeah UMEK was bangin' & marco corolla.
And danilo vigorito could make uplifting loops like no other
But his more minimal work just didn't have that groove I thought.

The Overfiend
30-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Love Jamie's passion here. MASSIVE AGREEMENT with loads of this post, but loads I don't. Piss boring music - YES. Lack of talent - YES. It's so damn easy to sit in that studio with a copy of Ableton, bang together a track in 2 days - that only changes slightly every 32 bars. Oh yeah let's stick a break in - that'll sort it.

In fact, every style of music is suffering from this at the moment. Doesn’t even matter if it's techno.

But the real fault here lies with the promoters imho. Afraid to take risks, afraid to jump out of what's 'hot'. And what's 'hot' at the moment is the guy with the best press pic, the guy that is on FB/Twitter most, the guy with the new affiliation with the most 'in fashion' label. It's so XFactor isnt it. The easy option….

That's not saying you cant have a press pack, a nice website, look at least professional. Makes you feel professional. Why the hell not. I'm not messing around with my music so the 'image' of it is kind of important to me….

However, what I don’t agree with (and tbh the point of alot of this post) is that people can't change styles. Oh I must go in that nice little box forever and make only that kind of music. Well I'm sorry. I for one dont wanna do that. F**k you. I never signed up for that. TBH If we wanna get down to business - alot of the 'pure techno' that is talked about in this post is silly, cause pure techno is surely Detroit techno end of?

Which evolved from the 80’s.

Isn't the idea to just follow what you believe in, no matter what the style? And cant that change over time? Or am I missing the point of techno here?

Sure, you might not like Bas Mooy's new style, or anyone's new style for that matter, but you gotta say, well that's their choice. Get over it guys and do your own thing.

When Chrissi and I were making music in 2000 as The Anxious, we lost SERIOUS heart when techno went minimal. But ultimately, it made us change our ways in the studio, not sit in the past. And now, we feel like we have a massive message in our new music. It's not a carbon copy of the old message we had, but it's evolved, improved, futuristic. The point of techno.

We've never EVER sat there painting by numbers when we make techno, taking the easy option. We take up to 2 months doing a single track. That’s why it took 2 years to do our forthcoming album. And we feel massively motivated because of it. Passionate, focused, devoted. ALWAYS. Screw everyone else.

If I'm the only person liking it, I really dont care. **** you.

Surely that's techno?

www.theanxious.net

BING!!!

278d7e64a374de26f==