PDA

View Full Version : Read and digest

crime
03-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Has it not occurred to anyone to actually READ all of what someone has typed before responding.. too often I'm seeing people who seem so eager to get their own point across they don't seem to have bothered to READ and DIGEST properly what someone has said.. I can't advocate everything that death on a stick said in a certain thread, but I think if people had actually bothered to READ properly what he was trying to say they may get the point, even though, as I've said before, he can seem a bit condecending... One man's pleasure is another's poison, and screaming 'til you're blue in the face that "This is funky even if X says it isn't " doesn't really make you look that intelligent.. in fact between the funky techno and Girls in techno threads it makes it look like this board has a collective I.Q. of 3 and all work in jobs they hate so much that they have to post absolute shit on message boards just to pass the time.. Sort it out, people..

Ok, rant over ;)

Numeric
03-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Fair point...

:lol:

dcdn
03-03-2004, 05:52 PM
i think most people instinctual respond to the topic TITLE and less to what the topic starter actually has written down.

dirty_bass
03-03-2004, 06:57 PM
what do you mean we can`t read!!! How can you go around insulting people when you have no idea of their reading ability. Why do you throw useless insults around like this.
........ :lol:

jonnyspeed
03-03-2004, 07:06 PM
dunno... guess some people wanna comment on the post rather than the responses and some posts are so long yer just can not be arsed.

do like both the Mark Hawkins and Michael Forshaw stuff you've put out. phat wonky phat phat... I'm lovin' it :clap:

SlavikSvensk
03-03-2004, 07:08 PM
what do you mean we can`t read!!! How can you go around insulting people when you have no idea of their reading ability. Why do you throw useless insults around like this.

lol

detfella
03-03-2004, 07:16 PM
errr maybe we dont all have time to read ever last word. especially when its in 1 huge block.

does it really matter :?:

TechnoLaydee
03-03-2004, 07:34 PM
topics like the 2 you mentioned are like 5 pages long, i can never be bothered reading it all!

Patrick
03-03-2004, 07:55 PM
errr maybe we dont all have time to read ever last word. especially when its in 1 huge block.

does it really matter :?:

No, it doesn't matter that you don't read it all if you don't intend to respond, but if you want to add something then yes, of course it's important to read and understand what's being discussed. (That answer isn't specifically directed at you b.t.w, it's just your question provided a neat entry point). The fact is, as Crime has pointed out, that if people had bothered to read and understand what was being said before jumping in to respond, then those threads wouldn't have got to 5 or 7 or whatever pages long.

And as I'm feeling lazy and can't be arsed typing anymore, I'm just going to cut and paste a part of a discussion we've already had about this in the Experimental forum (so apologies to those of you who have already seen it)

I think a lot of Death on a Stick's comments just need to be taken with your tounge in your cheek, as some of his points are quite valid, even if the delivery can seem quite offensive.. It amazes me that people can get so uptight about a few words on a msg board, I used to fall foul of this kind of thing, best to just not rise to the bait...

Amen to that.
And I'd also add that it's probably worth reading posts properly. And then reading them again. And then take a deep breath before you react, count to ten, listen to a tune, make a coffee and then, and only then, if you really think what you've got to say is actually worth posting, then start typing. Seems to me a lot of the reactions to d.o.a.s were from people making assumptions and inserting extra bits to his posts that just aren't there. It's like people automatically add an invisible "you cunt" to everything he types, when they should probably add an "imho".

detfella
03-03-2004, 08:02 PM
well for me i dont get into discussions like funky techno, fergie house or women in techno cos they sound like garbage and end up as flaming wars.

those pages that are 7 pages or more are often too much to read for me, i prefer short and snappy. even when i enter those threads it just appears to have people having their own private conversations anyway (which i suppose ties in with crime's point)

bit i still don't think it matters, internet is the land of free thought and bullshite for all :!:

SlavikSvensk
03-03-2004, 08:07 PM
the problem is, people often don't show other people respect. why should any of us care if someone listens to music we don't like? i personally can't stand trance, but one of my best friends loves it and i would never put him down because of that. that's his decision to make and i don't need to make myself feel better by insulting it.

that said, you're right about people being too knee-jerk. take any post about jeff mills for example. people are also too touchy at time, probably all of us included.

we need to do two things:

a) respect other people's opinions
b) feel free to disagree and discuss these disagreements

that's pretty much what mark wants us to do on his board anyways...

detfella
03-03-2004, 08:11 PM
i agree SlavikSvensk, well put :clap:

ampassasinbirmingham
04-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Has it not occurred to anyone to actually READ all of what someone has typed before responding.. too often I'm seeing people who seem so eager to get their own point across they don't seem to have bothered to READ and DIGEST properly what someone has said.. I can't advocate everything that death on a stick said in a certain thread, but I think if people had actually bothered to READ properly what he was trying to say they may get the point, even though, as I've said before, he can seem a bit condecending... One man's pleasure is another's poison, and screaming 'til you're blue in the face that "This is funky even if X says it isn't " doesn't really make you look that intelligent.. in fact between the funky techno and Girls in techno threads it makes it look like this board has a collective I.Q. of 3 and all work in jobs they hate so much that they have to post absolute shit on message boards just to pass the time.. Sort it out, people..

Ok, rant over ;)

Over the last few weeks you have bought much needed speculation and controversy to the board. I think after a few topics that you have been involved in/started, especially on the dark/experimental board, has made people think about posts a lot more. If people read all posts, half the arguments would indeed be solved, so this is a pointer that needed to be put into writing, even though many members i believe will have been thinking this already.

The dark/experimental board is currently going through a nice change, with different people coming on and expressing there opinions on experimental music, rather than just plain dark. So i think things are looking up.

I do however think your slightly pesimistic at time crime. Although things need to be said comments like "it makes it look like this board has a collective I.Q. of 3 and all work in jobs they hate so much that they have to post absolute shit on message boards ", are not needed to provoke more conflict, because we know that this isnt true.

People on here get a bit too eager and want their opinion to be heard to the world, where i think we should bounce of one another rather than just state what we are into(im guilty of it sometimes).

But all in all, we are here because we like it. We do however have to think a bit deeper about topics.

So crimes topic in short "Think before you speak"

ampassasinbirmingham
04-03-2004, 06:14 PM
topics like the 2 you mentioned are like 5 pages long, i can never be bothered reading it all!

Then dont post. Read into it, enjoy yourself but don't get into arguments.

does it really matter

Thats fine, but when people take this attitude to threads and start to argue and biker its pointless, this is what has to stop, to prevent situations like the "death on a stick" scenario.

dtl
04-03-2004, 06:58 PM
There is no absolutes, only interpretations.

I sometimes feel that solid 4x4 filled kick drums music contribute a person to become repetitive with their actions, as the pattern is so formulated. If you take a look at most techno heads' behaviour, I think most are pretty dire in creativity side of things such as - Drawings, arts. Yes, you can be an excellent techno producer and could well have played many many instruments, but most of them have been a drummer :lol: But I think arrogance is the worst enemy in most dance music, which such lifestyle and images they have long built for themselves, it wouldnt be easy to say, tell a hip hop/ D&B rude boy to stop trying to act like a black man, or to a ask a psy trance lover to stop tripping in the celebration of concessiousness. Well, as for someone who have so into techno for an extensive period of time, it's extremely hard to take him/ her out of the 4x4 loops they have emerged themselves....... Hence I think techno listeners (hate the word purist) are more likely to ignore others opinions and stand for themselves whatever the cause, relautant to change is their worst habit IMO.

I am not catagrising all technoheads as above, but my observation in all the parties have suggested so. I am not going to change anyone, hereby I am only raising the subject for further discussion. I always think if you feel you have the knowledge of certain matters that others dont, share it.

Life is too short to keep secrets to yourself.

PS> Hence I am upset by most drugs firm intentionly not curing most diseases to generate more profit from their drugs.

Eric.

The Overfiend
05-03-2004, 03:06 AM
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=no+shit/v=2/l=IVI/*-http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1570340315.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

MARKEG
05-03-2004, 04:49 AM
No I have to say Crime you have a point. READ the bloody whole topic from start to finish for gods sake. And preferable when you have a (ahem)
clear head. The problem is ppl respond to specific posts that annoy them/create an interest at that time/in their circumstance. They're not read properly. I'm responsible for this and I'll admit it entirely. Why do we do this? Well that's the question. Why? And how do we change it?

The Overfiend
05-03-2004, 12:26 PM
have Gandalf visit more often to give warning.

stefano1981
05-03-2004, 12:46 PM
I don't know about other people but when a post contains as many insults as it does valid points I partial switch off. There's nothing worse than a fvcking keyboard warrior. If I'm having a debate with someone face to face I would never dream of insulting them the way some people do on the internet. I don't see why politeness in face-to-face discussions and internet discussions should be any different. As far as I'm concerned, this sort of debating style denegrate your points and means that I won't pay as much attention as I should because they are couched in such abusive terms. If someone isn't going to treat people with basic decorum, I don't see why I should make sure that after I've filtered out all the insulting crap they've written that I've completely understood their point.

The Overfiend
05-03-2004, 01:02 PM
I don't know about other people but when a post contains as many insults as it does valid points I partial switch off. There's nothing worse than a fvcking keyboard warrior. If I'm having a debate with someone face to face I would never dream of insulting them the way some people do on the internet. I don't see why politeness in face-to-face discussions and internet discussions should be any different. As far as I'm concerned, this sort of debating style denegrate your points and means that I won't pay as much attention as I should because they are couched in such abusive terms. If someone isn't going to treat people with basic decorum, I don't see why I should make sure that after I've filtered out all the insulting crap they've written that I've completely understood their point. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

finally someone gets it.

death on a stick
05-03-2004, 01:23 PM

Ok, rant over ;)

WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do wonder sometimes about the average age on here, particularly this section. The level of communication from some members (the ones who constantly come out with feisty one liners that avoid the issues in an attempt to cover up their inability to understand what's going on, and those that sit back and applaud the aforementioned stupidity) really gives the impression of being surrounded by a bunch of under-developed ankle biters. MARK EG posted in another section about developing the board to encourage discussion of more, shall we say, "cerebral" music, and discussion moved to why the board doesn't evolve in the same way that others do. I gave some reasons on there, but after being back on BOA over the last few weeks, I'd add that another reason people who have real contributions to make don't post here is cos it more often than not looks like it's a kindergarten for kids with special needs.

Insulting? Maybe.

True? Absolutely.

I dunno though, maybe most people here are 14 as seems to be the case.

As crime said, don't waste your own time and others by doing your best to make yourself out to be retarded. READ THE POSTS and read them again and again. Then get someone who can actually communicate on a reasonable level to explain to you what's going on, if you suspect that you are one of those who are terminally hard-of-understanding. If you're gonna go in with guns blazing you better know what you're on about, and that includes understanding other posts that you're responding to. Pay attention and spend less time making a fool of yourself.

stefano1981
05-03-2004, 01:40 PM
I dunno though, maybe most people here are 14

Yeah, because personally insulting people who were having a civilised discussion up until you arrived in this thread is the height of maturity.

death on a stick
05-03-2004, 01:47 PM
I dunno though, maybe most people here are 14

Yeah, because personally insulting people who were having a civilised discussion up until you arrived in this thread is the height of maturity.
I only react to what I see. If people weren't so idiotic all the time there'd be no reason to call them out, would there?

stefano1981
05-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Good manners cost nothing. The funny thing is, I agree with a lot of what you say. But the way you say it and the way you comport yourself in discussions makes it difficult for me to support your views. You alienate people from the very valid points you make by the aggression and condescension in your delivery.

death on a stick
05-03-2004, 01:53 PM
I deal in reality. If the reality is that someone is kicking up a stink purely due to their own unwillingness to pay attention to what's going on around them, then I really have no sympathy for them. People need to take care of their affairs before heaping shit on other people's.

The Overfiend
05-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Sounds like the New York state of mind, I like this guy. Keep him around. Distributors are closing, there's internal cattyness going on in techno. We need to stop arguing about how to argue and fight for the music itself, stop separating it so much internally. that should mbe our focus, do something about the music nevermind each others ego.

Orange
06-03-2004, 01:34 AM
You might be expecting too much. If you want well reasoned arguments, join a debating club.

SlavikSvensk
06-03-2004, 01:39 AM
what about poorly developed blanket statements? ;)

dirty_bass
06-03-2004, 02:59 AM
United We Stand
Divided We Fall

Techno is a brotherhood

and I`m only 13 years old

crime
06-03-2004, 02:38 PM
I don't see why politeness in face-to-face discussions and internet discussions should be any different.

They're different, cos you won't get a slap off someone if you speak out of turn on the net, so obviously some people who are normally quite mild mannered can potentially get quite aggro when there's an internet connection protecting them... Having said this, if you had all met Death on a Stick out drinking, you'd probably find that he's someone who likes to take the piss out of things (as I do myself), and has a slightly more cynical outlook on the world thatn the average person, and you'd probably find him quite amusing (I've never met the guy BTW), it's too easy to take people the wrong way on the net, and as you can see abouve, the moment DOAS says something, there's someone very ready there to take the bait, and try to dish it out back, without actually having anything to say.. No offence Stefano, but why get so het up about DOAS's comments? It's only a message board! And surely, it's hardley good manners to make insinuations about DOAS's conduct, you're perpetating the argument as much as he is...
Christ, you can't even have a thread like this, without people taking offence in one way or another... I give up :roll:

SlavikSvensk
06-03-2004, 06:10 PM
okay, okay. you are both making good points. we need to relax, respect, read carefully and try not to get too hot under the collar, since we all love techno, okay?

The Overfiend
06-03-2004, 10:30 PM
The State Of Techno is apparent with all of the nonsense going on within this sites forums. If a trainspotter came to the forum and objectively observed the behavior they would say we are all bickering children.

SlavikSvensk
06-03-2004, 10:33 PM
we're also sort of like cult members...

dirty_bass
06-03-2004, 11:16 PM
I think all of us can be accused of having our head stuck up our arses sometimes. It seems quite common in the techno fraternity, this sort of superiority thing.

Col
07-03-2004, 12:03 AM
I think all of us can be accused of having our head stuck up our arses sometimes. It seems quite common in the techno fraternity, this sort of superiority thing.

*strokes chin*

278d7e64a374de26f==