PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best Harddrives ?

darkstar
09-02-2003, 05:13 AM
Just wondering who you people think make the best Harddrives ?

Someone told me IBM, then someone else said Western Digital

Any Ideas ?

MARKEG
09-02-2003, 05:29 AM
mine are all maxtor

miromiric.
09-02-2003, 01:07 PM
maxtor's flawless

darkstar
09-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Yea well thats funny as ive had 2 Maxtor drives the D740X-DL

40GB, 7200rpm, ATA133

And each one has had to go back due to bad cluster problems

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :(

Nomak
09-02-2003, 11:36 PM
Seagate also make quite good hard drives

darkstar
10-02-2003, 01:34 AM
I knew someone would say Seagate LOL ive had nothing but trouble with those drives

Eneah
10-02-2003, 06:34 PM
Mine are all IBM, cheap and ive never had a problem with them :)

darkstar
10-02-2003, 07:16 PM
Yea IBM are ment to be quite good ! never used one tho

sinner
12-02-2003, 05:16 PM
Ok here we go for my significantly more than 2 cents on hard drives.

You have to break hard drives into 2 catagories first off. The SCSI world and the IDE world.

SCSI drives are always going to be alot more expensive, but they are usually built alot better too. Yes some drives do die, but I have scsi drives that are going to hit their 10th birthday without stopping.

But they ares sometimdes too expensive. IDE wise, the drive you get for the most part doenst matter, although IBM had some MAJOR MAJOR issues with one of its drive lines ( IBM doesnt actually make hard drive anymore, they sold the entire business to hitachi )

I usually end u mixing disks. For example my music system has an 18 gig SCSI drive thats specifically for my music related software , tracks, and samples, while I have 2 x 60 gig IDE drives that store all my normal junk and things like mp3s

I would pay alot more attention to the warranty on a hard drive than necessarily the maker. Most consumer IDE drives have switched to a 1 year warranty now, which leaves you hanging pretty badly if it fails. This will save you alot more than buying a particular manufacturer. Get a 3 year warrantied drive, or in the SCSI world, a 5 year warranty. Returning drives with 5 year warranties are great. I had a bunch of fujitsu 4.3 gig SCSI drives that I turned in under warranty, and ended up getting 5 18 gig 10k rpm drives because they didnt make the 4.3s anymore. Hopefully I can turn them in again in a few years for even larger drives.

I personally swear by scsi drives, because most of the disk processing is handled by the scsi controller, not the cpu. You might notice it when trying to write huge amount of data on IDE drives that your cpu usage spikes up , which can affect music, such as vst plugins running out of spare cycles, and a myriad of other things.

No matter what hard drive you get or how many, I cant stress enough. BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM. I guarentee that you will lose all your data at least once. You can use CD-Rs if you want. It doesnt matter how you do it as long as you do it.

Todays sinner computer rant was brought to you by the letters M and G and the number 7

darkstar
12-02-2003, 08:11 PM
Whos got a RAM CARD ? :P no not DDR SDRAM or RAMBUS im talking about the PCI cards that act like a hard disc

sinner
13-02-2003, 04:36 PM
Solid state disk drives are neat little devices, but they are HORRIBLE expensive, and they dont really give you that great of performance.

You are looking at around 500 bucks US plus memory for the basic models, and that doesnt include memory.

The problem with solid state disks, is they either have a scsi interface in the older ones, or a PCI interface as a plug in card. Both are limited in bus speed for data transfers.

Your system memory runs at a much higher bus speed than PCI or SCSI, so software based ram drives are usually better at storage.

The only useful thing that solid state drives gives you, is the nicer models have battery backups so you can reboot and still keep contents there for a short time.

They are nice if you can afford them though.

278d7e64a374de26f==