PDA

View Full Version : Running a London record store in the 90's: Interview with Jay from Elite

sonicrampage
20-06-2012, 09:36 AM
For those of you who remember the vinyl days, you might enjoy this interview I've just done with Jay Burgess about his days running Elite Records in Victoria, which back in the late 90's/early 00's was one of my favorite record stores in London for hardcore and general rave goonery (along with some dnb, although I generally bought dnb elsewhere). If you are/were a vinyl junkie, it will bring back lots of nice memories, and if you only got into dance music in the digital era, then it's a bit of history for you to ponder.

If you're interested, check it out here (http://sonicrampage.org/blog/2012/06/running-a-record-store-back-in-the-day-an-interview-with-jay-equinox-of-elite-records/). :)

For those people who have gotten into the scene in the post-vinyl era, what would you say they have missed out on in terms of the whole record store experience?

While downloads may be convenient, in equal parts they have made music buying a completely disposable, impersonal and hollow process. Especially compared to the vibe of standing with like-minded people in that environment as a record buyer – the new releases just arrived in getting slapped on the decks, and seconds later a slammin’ tune drops and everyone is trying to get a copy. It’s a rush!

So much has been removed from the experience that record shops contributed to.

278d7e64a374de26f==