PDA

View Full Version : Heads UP POWERCORE!!!

DJZeMig_L
04-03-2004, 02:41 AM
A new powercore... Powercore Elements,

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/PoCoPCI_Reflection.jpg

From what I'm tolled the price will b around 550 Euros!!?!??!?!
After buying my Firewire not so long ago I feel :doh: ...!!!

It's basically the same as the old OCI version, the ONLY difference is that it doesn't include the Master X3 plug-ins which is the "software" version of they're flagship Finaliser Hardware!...

Compared 2 the Powercore Firewire, the elements is only
DSP 4 x 100 mHz ... firewire is 4 x 150mHz &
S-Ram 4 x 128 kWords .... firewire is 4 x 512 kWords.. also the firewire has the Master x3 included!

I must say that I started with the wrong foot with my powercore Firewire but I'm loving it more and more, I am starting 2 consider this an essencial element in my produtions, I rarelly use a cubase eq or dynamics anymore... I can't wait 2 get the Virus C as a plug in 4 it!!! :)

I am also considering getting a 2nd powercore (elements) just so that I can run this and some extra plug-ins with out running out of processing cpu's on what I have!

Z

Antinoise
04-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Dont dare get another powercore if your system does not have at least one UAD first!!!... My powercore takes a backseat to the UAD except for the powercore reverbs. I use the cambridge eq on almost every track.

Actually the 2 cards together make a great combination. They each have their strengths. The Virus is exciting news!!!!! I think my powercore will find 100% useage again once that is released.

The elements is a great price..... Its weird they released a product that was so much similar to the old powercore.. Weird...

DJZeMig_L
04-03-2004, 10:50 AM
I know, I have been struggling with my self 2 get it... but the plug-ins are quite pricy for the UAD-1, when because of my shop I can get some free stuff for my powercore (thank u Mr. TC portugal! ;) ). But I've been pondering the best eq. are the sony's right? U have the exactly the same 4 powercore and for the uad... so!!? I'm I wrong here?

They dropped the price etc... so they could compete with the drop on the UAD-1s.

Z

Antinoise
04-03-2004, 11:45 AM
dammm.. ya.. free is good because its the powercore extra plugings that are pricey. The only uad plugings you have to buy (after the card) are the cambridge and fairchild .. 150 each.. All the powercore addons are like 250/ea. No need for the reverb if you have the powercore verb.

By the reviews, the sony eq is top notch.... but I tested the sony Oxford demo eq and did not like it as much as the cambridge. With the oxford if you push it to its limits.. it clips.... where as you can crank on the cambridge and really push a frequency of the sound with no clipping (well till an extreme point). When I was not pushing red the oxford sounded great.. The cambridge to me acts more like a real analogue eq which would never clip just distort. Not to mention the Sony eq is expensive....Unless you can get that for free as well...(****That said I shold be more disiplined in monitoring my levels on a lower db as to avoid the red altogether... In that case.. the Oxford is killer when used properly)

DJZeMig_L
04-03-2004, 03:01 PM
humm... I think first I just need 2 raise the $ then I'll think about it... but I also think it's good 2 have 2 different sounding eqip.s... :)

Z

audioinjection
04-03-2004, 03:29 PM
The Sony Oxford eq and Pultec eqs are great!

DJZeMig_L
04-03-2004, 04:41 PM
stop teasing u biatc* !?!? ehehe just kiddin'! ;)

Z

Basil Rush
06-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Sony Oxford is the top choice here if you want to boost anywhere near the top without it sounding nasty. The clipping thing I've not noticed but I'm an obsessive cutter of eq freqencies mostly maybe only boost by like 3db on anything normally and usually it'll only be a handful of tracks in a mix where i boost at all ... just doesn't come out as easy to mix if you boost stuff.

THe UAD compressors are remarkably good, I had a card for a week or two once and A/B'd it side by side with some real Urei's and whilst it's not quite as warm it has a lot of the same character, they are better than the bomb factory Urei emulations by a good margin in my book.

I remember the reverb in the UAD was good but I had trouble with the latency when I was using it (I had a shit early 24bit sound card, and the latency was so bad it was like having an annoying pre-delay on the verb all the time) and for some reason instead of upgrading the sound card I went completely mad and brought a protools rig instead and flogged the PC.

How much plugin capacity do you get on the powercore?

DJZeMig_L
06-03-2004, 10:55 PM
U can tweak a little bit the buffer, but then u get a slight delay, (which doesn't happen in cubase on acount of its PDC - Plug in Delay Compensation), 2 b able 2 get more plug ins running.... It depends a bit but I am using mainly the eq. so u can have about 20 eq+ 1 reverb+1 delay+ 2 comp/lim.... after this U'll still have some space but not all that much!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==