PDA

View Full Version : wait....im confused (again) recording

hiroprotagonist
08-03-2004, 05:38 PM
so ive been shopping for a new synth and made my mind up on a novation or waldorf. anyways my confusion stems from my limited use of gear for the past 5 years. ive been working only with my mc505 as a sequencer, and them pumping the sound into my pc setup to edit and play with.
wheni get this new synth i know it doens thave a sequencer built in. does this mean im going to have to spring and get a midi sequencer just so i can program my stuff?? god knows im not rhythmically inclined enough to do it without a little computer help.
what am i supposed to do here? go midi?

g
08-03-2004, 06:20 PM
yes.

unless you buy a waldorf q which has a pretty nice sequencer built in. but eventually you're gonna want midi and a seq on your computer either way.

DJZeMig_L
08-03-2004, 07:19 PM
No.. U can continue 2 use yer MC as a sequencer... just configure the part 2 play and outdie instrument instead on the MC505 internal sound. The only prob I can think of is that the Mc only has 8 channels so u would b able 2 use more than 1 drumkits + 7 other sounds, which will prove enougth for 95% of the case, also in truth u can use only 8 at a time, but if u used one sound and u ain't going 2 use it again in the rest of the track u can always swap it for another sound later. So u can play all the sounds u want but never more than 8!

the novation nova should b cheap 2nd hand and a treat 2 use! ;)

Z

g
08-03-2004, 07:51 PM
he sold the 505 already...

DJZeMig_L
08-03-2004, 10:51 PM
:oops:

Z

Jimfish
08-03-2004, 11:38 PM
have you got a computer or anything other gear, or is one synth your lot?

Jimfish
08-03-2004, 11:38 PM
have you got a computer or anything other gear, or is one synth your lot?

EmotionComplex
08-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Jims experiencing some technical difficulities at the moment ladies and gentlemen :lol:

DJZeMig_L
09-03-2004, 01:22 AM
I have vented b4 that If i could only have one instrument and I was on a budget I would def. get a mpc1000. It's not the same as an virtual analog synth but u can do a preatty nice S+S (sample+ synthesis), if u get some basic simple waves u can even do a mock up virtual analog... I used 2 on my old Yamaha A3000! :)

I have an Q rack on the shop but haven't really explored the seq. which will 4 sure b good, but I'm not so sure it will b so easy 2 program, especially for drums, which also makes me think that if u use the synth for percussion u can b dangerously surfing the poliphony limit!! :hmm:

PS - waldorf as closed (for hardware synths , as they've teamed up with terratec) so that could mena either a big drop in prices or and increase in the short term... but hey Waldorf generally is very good, especially if u can afford a fully Knobbed (er.... :doh: ) version! ;)

Z

hiroprotagonist
09-03-2004, 01:32 AM
right now i havent sold the mc505 but im going to have to to get anything new. other than that im running on a new laptop with sound forge and acid as my primary setup.
the only other synth ive got is a jomox xbass09 *sniff*

DJZeMig_L
09-03-2004, 10:40 AM
well, if u have a laptop then u r sorted get cubase some nice plug-ins and a midi keyboard+maybe a midi interface, a really good sound card is a must....

If u r still left with some cash ... shop for a good 2nd hand synth... Novation Nova is 4 sure a good buy considering u'll find it resonably cheap!

Z

Jimfish
09-03-2004, 01:24 PM
listen to ZM mate, you wont get that much fexibility with just a couple of synths

DJZeMig_L
09-03-2004, 02:48 PM
lol... all opinions are equally valid.

At the shop I'm shop I'm used 2 try and access what people need and what would work best 4 they're budget. so I got a bit of practice still there ain't 1 absolute truth...

personally I would go 4 the mpc if I didn't have a PC 2 sequence or if I was playing live with out a pc...

But having a pc changes the rules a bit, so do get a mf soundcard, good midi KB/ Knob/ fader box. then use the rest (if anything left) 2 shop 4 a synth!

If u ain't that desperate for a synth with knobs, orbit 3 and waldorf microq are great value. If u want a more physical synth I guess the best/ cheapest buy is prob. the nova if u find 1 ;)

Z

g
09-03-2004, 05:23 PM
hiro you've asked this question now in several threads and you keep getting the same answer: on a budget, if you have that new laptop then you are 80% there. get cubase, a midi controller, a sound card and go to work.

so b/c you ask the same question i'm guessing that despite the budget claims you really just want to buy some new hardware. ok, cool. so get a synth and a midi interface and use that + the jomox + the laptop.. with that you have a huge palette you can work from... and a nice hardware/software combo in case either starts to get annoying from time to time.

either way, the answer to what to do in your present situation is: use the damn computer! there are 1000 synthesis/sampling options available to you via vsti, etc. :)

note that Z keeps giving the good advice of an mpc *if* you don't have the computer...

hiroprotagonist
09-03-2004, 06:50 PM
sorry yeah i realize im starting to sound repetitive. i guess its because this is the first time in 6 years of writing music that ive found a group of people who share the same interest i do. theres a wealth of knowledge here and id like my share :lol:
thanks to everyone for their help. its been extremely useful in my purchase and im pretty much set on what im gonna get.

-hiro

g
09-03-2004, 07:17 PM
im pretty much set on what im gonna get.
nice... what's that then?

hiroprotagonist
09-03-2004, 08:10 PM
im grabbing the virus a rack this weekend hopefully. then im pretty much tapped out on $ for a while. next im getting the m-audio ozone so i can have a controller and a soundcard in one. eventually im going to spring for a better soundcard but this will get me back on feet.
the only thing im worried about is that i AM moving to london in 3 weeks so im going to have to find a replacement ac adapter for my virus, laptop, jomox, hard drive, mixer, and anything else i need.
anyone know where i can find cheap power supplies?

DJZeMig_L
09-03-2004, 10:16 PM
I know it is a totally diferent price range but do consider the remote 25 extreme! ;)

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==