PDA

View Full Version : Last of New Stuff. Experimental Techno

dirty_bass
09-03-2004, 04:28 AM
Well, this is the last of the new stuff I have been working on in the studio. This one is a pounding experimental one, with odd vocals and off beat percussion.

Let me know what you think. http://www.londontechno.co.uk/Tunes/Black_Hour.mp3

This is forms part of my latest body of work, some is going on my label, and some I am going to tout about, so any label suggestions would be appreciated too.

professor
09-03-2004, 01:53 PM
FFAABBUULLOOUUSS!!FFAABBUULLOOUUSS!!FFAABBUULLOOUU SS!!

now let me ask about your secrets...

dan the acid man
09-03-2004, 07:52 PM
great, that off beat kick trick always works well, confuses the f*ck out of people on the floor, really like the sample that runs through it.

dirty_bass
09-03-2004, 11:26 PM
I have no secrets, what is it you want to know?

VOMATRON
09-03-2004, 11:41 PM
this sounds really great...already said it a few times, but this is some of the best in this style of techno ive heard before. cant decide which of these i like best, but you could put out an album of this...it fits togetjher.
if noone wants to release these, theres somethign seriously wrong.
all the best luck on getting it out & thanks for a good listener

btw is it burroughs you sampled? and if, from what?

dirty_bass
09-03-2004, 11:51 PM
cheers folks!

Yes it is a heavily chopped and cut up (well I had to) vocal from 2 spoken word performances by Burroughs.
K-9 was in combat with the alien mind screens, and Interview with Mr Martin.

Both from Break through in Grey Room.

I am a BIG burroughs fan (and geek probably)

I haven`t yet touted any of this stuff to other labels. I have just been working on getting my own label done, but I am working so prolifically at the moment, I thought I should start getting out on a few others if possible.

VOMATRON
10-03-2004, 12:13 AM
and along the way you created a new style...spoken word techno :)

professor
10-03-2004, 12:41 AM
not any secrets really,

just wondered how you get the bass lines to sit so forward in the mix without them cluttering or muddying...
i'm working fairly hard at this at the moment, mostly trying to find the eq range where i can push the bass without mud and without losing any of the rumble.

dirty_bass
10-03-2004, 12:53 AM
just wondered how you get the bass lines to sit so forward in the mix without them cluttering or muddying...
i'm working fairly hard at this at the moment, mostly trying to find the eq range where i can push the bass without mud and without losing any of the rumble.

Ah, well, bass is my thing matey, a lot of techno these days is so top end orientated (it does provide energy), that the bass get`s neglected.

You just can`t neglect the bass!!!!

Generally, because I deal in Big Bass, what I do is for a start
Eq out the frequencies in the bass that are covered by the Kick.
Then emphasise the frequencies below the kick, and slightly above. So the bass sits "under" the kick, without interfearing.

I also use a a compressor on the bass, sidechained to the kick, so it pumps out slightly on the kick, but you can achieve this by using a gate on the bass that drops the level on every kickdrum hit.

And I normally use a heavy saturation compressor as well, to add extra depth and warmth.

It`s allways a bit of a wrestle when dealing with dub-esque frequencies, bit there is nothing like a bit of ribcage rattling sub!!!

professor
10-03-2004, 01:55 PM
thanks dirty...my problem has definately been in the eq of bass. I knew to sidechain to kick so that the bass ducks, but i hadn't considered eqing out totally the frequencies taken up by the kick...

I genererally cut out the freq. below 60Hz for bass with a pretty hard slope, and I try not to cut the highs out of the bass because it seems without the high bass freq. you lose presence.

what freq. do you allow for your kicks? mine probably sit most around 150-250Hz most of the time. sometimes lower for more rumble...i guess it all depends on what your go'n for.

gary_human
28-03-2004, 06:25 PM
This is QUALITY!!!!

I would play this til the cows come home . . .

Definiteley would get cained to bits if I had this on record - PLEASE!!!!!

:clap:
:lol:

Sam_Horam
29-03-2004, 12:18 AM
Absolutely superb stuff.

:clap:

The Overfiend
29-03-2004, 06:39 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:

Need I say More.

Drago
29-03-2004, 09:20 AM
I don't think I can say anymore than Absolutely Brilliant ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

bryan sleiter
29-03-2004, 02:45 PM
yeah, rockin!

heavy and full. love the midrange percussion elements.
I'd buy this record.

Inquisitor
29-03-2004, 06:55 PM
I'd buy this record as well, wouldnt mind less vocals tho

dirty_bass
29-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Wow, cheers for the props everybody, well I really want this one on vinyl, and I am waiting to hear back from some leads, so I may be in luck.

Col
30-03-2004, 01:55 PM
i like this. very cool. everything works so well together.

278d7e64a374de26f==