PDA

View Full Version : SPLIT vs ATOMIC-JAM - May 1st 2004

split
12-03-2004, 06:44 PM
SPLIT vs ATOMIC-JAM @ TURNMILLS - SATURDAY 1ST MAY 2004

SPLIT bring the world famous ATOMIC-JAM to the capital for the very first time…
Joining residents BEN SIMS & CHRIS FINKE will be

DJ RUSH - (KNE Deep - Chicago/Berlin) - 1st London Performance for 3 years!!
DAVE CLARKE - (SKINT - Brighton) Rare London Techno Set!!
MARSHALL JEFFERSON - (CHICAGO USA) - The Godfather Of House
A GUY CALLED GERALD - (SUGOI -UK) - RARE LIVE SET!
ADE FENTON – (ADVANCED-Nottingham) - atomic-jam
AIDY WEST – www.vinylunderground.co.uk / BRIAN WILLIAMS – (Val-tyne)

After the phenomenal success of our launch party in February where DERRICK MAY, SURGEON, CHICKEN LIPS and OLIVER HO tore it up alongside our residents, we have wasted no time in assembling another killer lineup for our next party and have hooked up with the world famous ATOMIC-JAM. With Chris's residency at atomic-jam, and Ben being consistently one of the most popular DJs booked to play there in recent years, it was fitting that we invited them along to hook up with us for their first appearance in the capital. Based in Birmingham, atomic-jam is one of the UKs biggest techno nights and over the past nine years have brought just about every big name and up-and-coming techno, drum & bass and electro DJ to perform for thousands of party people.

Heading up the show alongside our SPLIT boys BEN SIMS & CHRIS FINKE, are 3 of the biggest names in dance music-DAVE CLARKE, DJ RUSH & MARSHALL JEFFERSON. Dave is no stranger to the Jam or Turnmills, and with his critically acclaimed DEVILS ADVOCATE album launched last year he is at the top of his game. KNE DEEP main man Rush, now firmly positioned as one of the biggest (literally!) names in the techno world, makes his long awaited return to the UK, bringing with him that infamous record box and unique vocal talents to ensure an unforgettable performance. Marshall Jefferson needs no introduction. This man has helped influence a generation with a string of classic records that helped to shape dance music as we know it, and we are privileged to have him aboard. We welcome back A GUY CALLED GERALD who will be making his live debut at SPLIT. Long standing atomic-jam resident ADE FENTON also joins us, alongside other SPLIT residents BRIAN WILLIAMS and AIDY WEST. A special peak time Acid house set from BEN SIMS in the second room completes our monster line up.

SPLIT regulars Exceeda, Dfuse, Marija, Kameiflage, circuit-c and Jun are back to cover the visual side of the beats, with fresh new images coming from recent trips and travels.

WEB - www.splitmusic.net EMAIL - info@splitmusic.net
TICKETS ON SALE SOON!
Turnmills. 63B Clerkenwell Road, London. EC1
Capacity: 1000. Info: 020 7250 3409. Tube: Farringdon. 10pm - 7am
£12.50 (first 200) + £15 in Advance // £15 on the Door
Tickets: USUAL LONDON OUTLETS PLUS:
www.ticketweb.co.uk www.ticketmaster.co.uk Wayahead (Midlands): 0115 912 9000
Web: www.turnmills.co.uk

split
12-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Just to add one thing-our last event was highly attended and due to circumstances beyond our control certain areas of the club were too busy. We apologise for this and have taken measures to ensure that this will not be a problem at our future events.

Thanks, and see you there!

SPLIT

jock
12-03-2004, 11:55 PM
****ing brilliant line-up, cant ****ing wait!!!!

roll on May 1st, **** tribal and renassaince!!!!!

jock
13-03-2004, 08:17 AM
pardon my french!! :roll:

TechnoLaydee
15-03-2004, 10:01 PM
**** brilliant line-up, cant **** wait!!!!

roll on May 1st, **** tribal and renassaince!!!!!

too right!:)

TechnoLaydee
16-03-2004, 09:26 AM
can anyone help me, ive never been to london before so which station etc would i need to go to to get to turnmills? :neutral: cheers!

jock
16-03-2004, 12:56 PM
right, you get the tube to farringdon.

come out of the station and turn left, then left again, and its at the top of the street.

:)

Stuart
16-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Yep will be there.

split
30-03-2004, 11:50 AM
split tickets from ticketweb/master/wayahead available now and all shops will have them by the weekend.
first 300 12.50, 15 after.
rvÂ*

ampassasinbirmingham
30-03-2004, 11:52 AM
its only a month away :shock: i got it into my head that it wasnt for ages. Better pull my finger out. U deffo going stu???

Is it a 7am????

Stuart
30-03-2004, 05:12 PM
its only a month away :shock: i got it into my head that it wasnt for ages. Better pull my finger out. U deffo going stu???

Is it a 7am????

yeah I'm going. :lol: I'm going to flyer for Insurrection which starts 8th May.

ampassasinbirmingham
30-03-2004, 05:54 PM

Is it a 7am????

yeah I'm going. :lol: I'm going to flyer for Insurrection which starts 8th May.
;););););)

Techno-warlord
01-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Just to add one thing-our last event was highly attended and due to circumstances beyond our control certain areas of the club were too busy. We apologise for this and have taken measures to ensure that this will not be a problem at our future events.

Thanks, and see you there!

SPLIT

Excellent. Was very hard work last time.

TechMouse
13-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Literally can't wait for this one.

It's been a while since I've made the trip to Atomic Jam, but well worth it every time. I hear very good things about Split also. Far, far, FAR too much quality stuff going on around the May bank holiday.

The question is, will we make it back to Nottingham for DJ Hell on sunday night?

Technology
14-04-2004, 03:01 PM
I am defo gonna be there!

Well done Split and if the last one is anything to go on this is gonna be a road block!

hiroprotagonist
15-04-2004, 10:51 AM
i couldnt find out on the web page but is there a dress code?

Technology
15-04-2004, 11:53 AM
no, no dress code .... its get down and get dirty ;)

SimonH
18-04-2004, 06:17 AM

it being Turnmills you may be required to carry a loaded handgun

bod
20-04-2004, 06:45 PM

it being Turnmills you may be required to carry a loaded handgun

i've never had any hassles when ever we go down from glasgow, must be the acent! :lol:

serox
27-04-2004, 04:42 PM
handgun hehe

there was some trouble there few months back where some shots were fired. some poeple got away in audi TTs and BNW etc. gang problems thats all :) you dont see this shit on techno nights.

will be a good night looking forward to it. hope not too hot this time

TechMouse
27-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Tickets arrived today.

Woo!

TechnoLaydee
28-04-2004, 12:21 AM
handgun hehe

there was some trouble there few months back where some shots were fired. some poeple got away in audi TTs and BNW etc. gang problems thats all :) you dont see this shit on techno nights.

will be a good night looking forward to it. hope not too hot this time

I hope not! :shock:

Kube 72
28-04-2004, 12:23 PM
That was at a RnB night I think , it was at Xmas time anyway..

SimonH
28-04-2004, 01:00 PM

someone should have told security at the last Split - with the bad attitude they were showing I think they thought it was still an RnB night

SimonH
28-04-2004, 01:01 PM

someone should have told security at the last Split - with the bad attitude they were showing I think they thought it was still an RnB night

TDub
28-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Theres cheap parking next door in a 24hour NCP - if you show a turnmills flyer you get all nite for £3 - bargain.

cu there!

eyes without a face
28-04-2004, 07:01 PM
ive been informed that the security are sound in Turnmills? whats the deal then peeps?

Kube 72
28-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Well to be honest I have never had a problem but I guess everyone's views will be different but personally I found them ok.

ampassasinbirmingham
28-04-2004, 10:35 PM
are the drinks still 4 pound a pint????

Stella Boy
28-04-2004, 10:41 PM
are the drinks still 4 pound a pint????

:shock:

TechnoLaydee
29-04-2004, 12:13 AM
whats turnmills like as a club? never been, is it big etc..

SimonH
29-04-2004, 08:49 AM

It's a big club with (proportionally) a tiny dancefloor and a no more than adequate sound system and yes it's still 4 quid for a can of Stella and 2 quid for the cloakroom

and for the record, at the last Split the security near us were extremely heavy handed - if you like a club with constant random searches then Turnmills is the place for you.

TechnoLaydee
29-04-2004, 12:27 PM

It's a big club with (proportionally) a tiny dancefloor and a no more than adequate sound system and yes it's still 4 quid for a can of Stella and 2 quid for the cloakroom

and for the record, at the last Split the security near us were extremely heavy handed - if you like a club with constant random searches then Turnmills is the place for you.

that doesnt sound to hot..

ampassasinbirmingham
29-04-2004, 01:30 PM

The S1 club was abseluteley wiked. Massive space. Really good buzz about it, 3 quid a can wich wasnt that bad either.

SimonH
29-04-2004, 02:49 PM

that doesnt sound to hot..

quite - the previous Retrovert nights at the Rocket worked much better. Don't get me wrong, the music was absolute quality at Split, it was just the wrong venue although apparently they have addressed the overcrowding issue for the next one.

LiamStyles
30-04-2004, 01:55 AM
I shall be making the trip over for this :)

MangaFish
30-04-2004, 02:30 AM

The S1 club was abseluteley wiked. Massive space. Really good buzz about it, 3 quid a can wich wasnt that bad either.

se1's sound system isnt too great tho

split
03-05-2004, 01:29 PM
a big thanks to all who turned out on saturday, it was a busy night again and all the dj's did us proud.
we set the capacity at 200 people less than the last party and hope this did something towards easing the movement inside, it was still rammed but definately an improvement.

look out for splits return after the summer with another solid line up and 2 summer retro_vert boat parties.

the rv's.Â*

daviec
03-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Had a brilliant night again at Split. I wonder if SimonH went to the same nights as me. I found the security to be firm but fair, and you can't expect them to act differently because it's a techno night, and not r'n'b. What difference does that make to them? I've not seen anyone stopped for a random search either.

I think the venue's pretty good, the sound system crisp and clear, and it was very busy again. But there's always space if you want it. I found up the back of the second main room was good for getting the arms and legs moving. And then once Rush was on and cleared the lightweights off to the chillout room, it was no problem.

Through the second room was like sardines though.

No-one dissapointed me music wise all night... apart from Rush dropping "Just Kick". Probably the only point of the night I stopped dancing :lol: But he made up for it later with some brilliant hard as nails stuff.

Looking forward to Chris Finke coming up to play for us at Refresh in July, and I'll be keeping an eye out for the next split event. :clap:

hiroprotagonist
03-05-2004, 03:06 PM
hmmmm im not sure if its just me or what. that place was so packed i couldnt move unless i was being shoved out of the way by people trying to move... there was no room to dance and barely enough room to breathe. the sound was mashy in most spots (unless you could worm your way into the middle of the room). my 2 friends left at 12 and i eventually gave up at 3. sucks though cause the music was unbelivable and everyone there (with a few exceptions) was really friendly!
i hope this isnt how most techno parties are in europe. i kind of look forward to dancing when i go out and not just bopping my head to the beats.
any suggestions on smaller more intimate parties?
dont get me wrong i had a great time ive just never been to a party THAT oversold.

-hiro

Kube 72
03-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Well I certainly had a great time, all the DJ's played well and the music was great. Chris played a wicked set as did Ben b4 him, Dave followed on
with another stormer and Rush was as I expected hard but very good. Missed Ade as had to leave at 5 as the missus was lagging :cry:

anyway, well done Split :clap: here's to the next one!

matt303
03-05-2004, 05:50 PM
dont get me wrong i had a great time ive just never been to a party THAT oversold.

Agreed. I'm sorry but there was with out a doubt more people there than the at last one...it was rammed back to front and you couldn't dance, let alone stand with out a queue of people trying to push past you. Don't get me wrong the music once again was excellent, but its so frustrating travelling to a club, hearing a great dj and not being able to dance. There was more room in the back room, but it was so hot there was barely enough oxygen to light a lighter.

But like i said, i can't fault the djs and had a great night, however, no matter what the line up i don't think i'll go there again.

ampassasinbirmingham
03-05-2004, 10:37 PM

Agreed. I'm sorry but there was with out a doubt more people there than the at last one...it was rammed back to front and you couldn't dance, let alone stand with out a queue of people trying to push past you. Don't get me wrong the music once again was excellent, but its so frustrating travelling to a club, hearing a great dj and not being able to dance. There was more room in the back room, but it was so hot there was barely enough oxygen to light a lighter.

But like i said, i can't fault the djs and had a great night, however, no matter what the line up i don't think i'll go there again.

i reakon they need a venue change

jock
03-05-2004, 10:59 PM
I am not sure there was more than last time, its hard to remember but i thought the other areas of the club were less busy this time.

I still really enjoyed it!!! :clap:

ampassasinbirmingham
03-05-2004, 11:33 PM
the rv boat party seems well good?

hiroprotagonist
04-05-2004, 09:53 AM
i cant imagine there being more people in there. granted there was at least room to stand and breathe outside the rooms in the halls. (just look out for the poor guy puking his guts up on the floor). dave played an amazing set and i was suprised how much my girlfriend liked bens set. shes more into house but she spent most of the night in the techno room. shes a keeper, she wants to go to daytek with me later on this month. :clap:
anywho its good to hear some good reviews. doesnt look like the crowding was a HUGE problem there and most everyone (minues the guy puking) had a good time. :lol:

-hiro

TechMouse
04-05-2004, 11:11 AM
That was one of the best nights I've had all year.

Anyone got any idea what the last tune Ade Fenton played was?

serox
04-05-2004, 11:32 AM
what a big let down for the Split night. turnmills has the worse layout of a club, the sound system is complete shit. like someone said earlier unless you was standing directly infront of the speakers it sounded very weak. was way to many people in there. £4 a can of red stripe is taking the piss, people keep walking into you all night becuase they had let to many people in! We left early to go to a party in carpenters road again, damn was good to get out of that zoo. Oh also some people were complaining about pick pockets too, does not surpprise me:(

anyway, i think i wil stick to free partys:(

slimboy
04-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Sims was awesome both in the main room and in the 2nd room with his acid house set.

Clarke was ok, played a few classics like Arena but generally I think he's become to predictable.

How heavy was Rush's set? Was suprised at how much I enjoyed his set, his mixing was tight as well which makes a change from every time I've seen him in the past.

Was really feeling Chris Finke's set as well.

:clap:

TDub
04-05-2004, 04:28 PM
thought clarke was crap, not his typical set at all. rush and fenton were class, as was jefferson to chill out to.

my toe nails are now mostly black from bruising from ignorant cocks standing on them all nite - an apology would be fair...

anyway, top nite to be had, thank god i got in front of a speaker

maybe the first and last nite for me at turnmills - prefer clubs that are built for dance music - not stood round posing etc

Frank Dogshit
04-05-2004, 06:45 PM
had a brilliant night. pretty much ignored how busy the club was(remember you are in london on a bank holiday weekend??) the music was wicked and generally the people i met down there were sound as a pound. loads of northerners down there.

highlight of the night was the tealeaf of a bus driver we had. nicking shit from service stations on the way home. well he was from liverpool!! :doh:

split is a superb night, id love to see it at a bigger venue tho!

Ade Fentons last tune- Chris McCormack-Erase Techno. :clap:

jock
05-05-2004, 08:49 AM
had a brilliant night. pretty much ignored how busy the club was(remember you are in london on a bank holiday weekend??) the music was wicked and generally the people i met down there were sound as a pound.

Ade Fentons last tune- Chris McCormack-Erase Techno. :clap:

I think thats the thing Danny, the 2 times I have been there the music has been so good and although it is busy, I think that you can always find somewhere to dance. What annoys me more is not really being able to see the dj cus of the people in front, but sorted that problem this time!!!

As for that last tune, its a pile of turd. I really didnt like Ade Fenton, would much rather see him on first or second (i hope he isnt on last at the next Jam)

Dave Clarke I thought was brilliant, just what I wanted to hear from him, loads of class tunes (Paula Temple - Contact!!!!!) and effects to go to boot. Rush was amazing, harder than any set last year I heard of his. His mixing was sound and apart from that horrendous "Just Kick" track (Carl Cox should be shot for making that!!!!!) his tracks were amazing, especially that Riders of the Storm. He would just make bass lines appear from nowhere that would run right through you!!!!

Finke and Sims were brilliant as warm up, its really good to know that you aint gonna have no shit when you get into that club!!!

Cant wait for the next lineup. And for these boat parties!!

TechnoLaydee
05-05-2004, 09:59 AM
the next line up is

Dj rush, justin berkovi, robert hood, ade fenton & chris finke! :)

jock
05-05-2004, 10:02 AM
the next line up is

yeah thats for Atomic Jam in Birmingham, should be fun!!!!

TechnoLaydee
05-05-2004, 10:59 AM
the next line up is

yeah thats for Atomic Jam in Birmingham, should be fun!!!!

yeh it should! the last time Rush & Berkovi were on at the Jam it rocked! :lol:

dannyjam
05-05-2004, 12:02 PM
just like to thank everybody who helped make saturday a great night.
especially all those who made the journey from the midlands and the north, it was good so see so many jam regulars there.

thanks.

Danny
atomic-jam

eyes without a face
05-05-2004, 04:00 PM
yeah it was wikid to see all the usual jam faces in London, the atmosphere was really good

roll on the June 5th!

ampassasinbirmingham
06-05-2004, 09:58 PM
when is the next split?????

Its still really good to see that the music was excellent at split. I think its making its way forewardto be the best techno night in the country.

278d7e64a374de26f==