PDA

View Full Version : Im New To Techno, But im Not A Bandwagoning Twat!!!!

Acid_Fighter303
12-02-2003, 12:32 AM
Just startin to get into techno, so go easy on me. Read a few posts below about Mauro Picotto. He is one of my favourate producers at the mo, and although he's classed as a mainstream DJ, he plays some proper twisted Sh*t!! Ive followed him since his Lizard days so im not jumping on the ol bandwagon so to speak. He played at Plymouth for Godskitchen and the amount of people who saw him expecting Komodo, Iguana type anthems were dually shocked when he boshed them with some really mind warping techno. Fu*kin shit he was they all said. Cant be that crap if he's one of the worlds most sought after DJ's.

Anyway, Acid Techno is something that im really gettin into, just bought Rozzers Dog - Serious Mind Fu*k, absolutely twisted and wicked, also got Brain 38 - Switch On Your Brain, seriously mental acid techno.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on acid techno????

ampassasinbirmingham
12-02-2003, 12:53 AM
not massive on acid myself but anything on Stay up forever or by any of the liberators usually hits the spot. Our man Mark EG has also been known to put out a few acidic belters :P

Just a little advice. Stay away from picotto. If u want twisted techno go to House of God (Birmingham, UK).

Jimfish
12-02-2003, 01:55 AM
yes picotto is a mainstream dj - but he deserves respect and i'll say this even if im the only one!
he does do some horribble horrible shitty trance stuff but you can see that his real love is techno - hence all the amazingly good techno tunes on some of the b sides of those trancey bxr's
a couple of years ago i saw him play last set at a hard house club in london - after 8 hours of mindless bollox i was thourogly bored, then he came on, slowed the silly tempo right down and whapped in an amazing set of twisted techno pretty much all along the lines of that 'joyenergiser' tune - it was class and he rocked it hard....
how many dj's can go into a cheese club and play the most twisted techno??? and make the crowd love it!
The production on his tunes are absolutly top notch...
look at:

baguette
were back
back to cali - funky mix
pegasus (not sure which mix)
bangkok
cyberfood
hong kong
joyenergiser - picotto mix

also on bxr check out the livio trax julia ep - along with baguette that is perfect for the london style dj - except better production

and he was a very down to earth chap when i met him, not at all up his own ass like a lot of the people on his circuit....

Jimfish
12-02-2003, 01:56 AM
so what if he makes trance?
there is no denying the mans techno skills!!!!!

Adverse
12-02-2003, 02:06 AM
so true i have a record on bxr (retake/playback) that totally thumps with all the usual suspects..

MARKEG
12-02-2003, 02:07 AM
this is totally amazing - precisely the type of this you want to read. mate, welcome to the forum. here, we have some one has been into the more commercial edge of trance, hears picotto and then starts to research into techno with a passion. i love that. we need more people like you in the techno scene.

my opinion is that picotto is a great intro to techno but there's so much more out there. techno is a huge genre with many different styles. research into as much as you can. check some of the techno filez section and understand what it's all about.

wenna
12-02-2003, 11:34 AM
2 essential acid classics for u are: funk floyds 'pressure theeme' and magnum forces 'unlucky punk'........enjoy................. :shock:

Anonymous
12-02-2003, 02:05 PM
so what if he makes trance?
there is no denying the mans techno skills!!!!!

There is a lot to deny him. Techno is one of them.

Where do you live?

Acid_Fighter303
12-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Thanks everyone, I thought I was going to be in for a verbal onslaught for likeing Mauro Picotto. To be honest I like any form of trance music as long as its well made and not cheesy, be it commercial, hard or whatever it is. Politics doesnt bother me like that. If there was no commercial side not many people would now about the underground side of it, I think you really need both of them for a style of music to be successful.

With techno, I just like the way you have to listen to it, When Mark played his Techno set in Plymouth 2 weeks ago, you just find yourself listening behind the beat for the subtle changes that build and build during a techno track, it really is a thinking persons style of music, hence the reason for it not being as appealing to the mainstream crew as trance is. The more I hear techno the more I like it and crave to hear more.

I love both trance and techno, both very different styles of music. I fu*kin hate Hard House with a passion..... shoot H/H DJ's on sight hahaha!!!!!!

Jimfish
12-02-2003, 07:46 PM
Ryan - have you listened to some of picotto's techno tunes then??? i know he does a lot of rum stuff - but imo even that is very very good for what it is - the quality production is right there in front of you, staring you in the...umm....ears?!?
Althought not a fan of some of his megacheese stuff i do think that it is exceptionally well produced, all of it and i respect the guy for doing whatever the **** he pleases - fair play to him

Paul Nisbet
12-02-2003, 08:01 PM
I agree bud, picotto also got me lookin into tech.

Check out

Trasponder ii - capsule/random. which is by fasano but with picotto behind it.
Livio tracks - ghosts of lille A-side, banging. (picotto i think aswell)

Got me into Billy nasty, marco bailey, chris leibing and all sorts.

Anything hard and twisted enough to give u second thoughts about closing your eyes before you go to sleep.

saki nzyme
12-02-2003, 08:13 PM
there are so many classic acid tunes that you havn't heard mate its hard to know were to start.

if you goto www.bangingtunes.com they have a used record forum on there loads of classic acid for sale.

ive got a fair bit for sale check the record forsale section on this forum for more info mate

miasma man
12-02-2003, 08:39 PM
Hello,

It's always good to see new people getting into Techno. Picotto is mainstream - personally not my thing.

If you like acid techno like someone else said check out stuff done by Chris Liberator and his cohorts - Stay up Forever, Smitten, Cluster.

Also check out where Techno came from - Detroit. You need to find out who the early pioneers were/are.

It always best to check out individual record labels and look at their artist biography sections - I've spent serious hours reading but I learnt so much.

Good label web-sites to check out: Tresor, Minus, Communique, Novamute and Hybrid. These are off the top of my head - I can dig out some more names etc if you want. If you do let me know and I'll see what I can do...

Also check out overloadmedia.co.uk - it all about Techno and electronica with loads of history and artist biographies.

Good luck on this new journey - it blows my mind!

If you get this maybe you can tell me who Juan Atkins is and then again who is Luke Slater and DJ ESP (what's his real name) and who's Robert Hood? What is the name of the bloke who lives in Canada and has released under the name of Plastikman - where is this man's homeland? A lot of people think it is actually Canada...

All the best,

Miasma Man.

Anonymous
12-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Ryan - have you listened to some of picotto's techno tunes then???

Yes.

i know he does a lot of rum stuff - but imo even that is very very good for what it is - the quality production is right there in front of you, staring you in the...umm....ears?!?

I think it's severly lacking in content. I'm sorry if that offends you, but the way I see it the music doesn't solely rely on the production. I mean the Spice Girls are awesomely produced, but.... :?

Althought not a fan of some of his megacheese stuff i do think that it is exceptionally well produced, all of it and i respect the guy for doing whatever the **** he pleases - fair play to him

See above, AND- how can you even appreciate the "cheesy stuff?" It totally contradicts the ethos of techno, which is intelligent, underground music. I like to escape from the diablical pop airwaves, the absolute cheesy torture that it is, and listen to music that doesn't incorporate "megachesse" in the slightest. I'm not ranting at you, I'm just telling you what I can see! :wink:

PS: I don't think he's "doing as he pleases", I think he is jumping off the sinking trance ship and onto the passing techno bandwagon......

MARKEG
12-02-2003, 10:58 PM
no seriously... i see what you're saying here mate but i believe (my own opinion entirely) that picotto seriously isn't jumping onto the techno bandwagon.... why does he play techno at all the cheesy clubs he plays at? he used to simply clear dancefloors with it until his name got popular with the UK media... he still does!

if you jump onto a bandwagon, you do so because it makes you money surely? if picotto wanted to make money he'd have stuck to playing trance.

wenna
12-02-2003, 11:00 PM
mauro picottos 'techno' is more tech-house in my opinion. i tries to contain too much emotional content and lacks that un-human raw robotty type feeling..........

zap
12-02-2003, 11:28 PM
if your looking for some quaility techno and acid techno give james a ring at banging tunes london 00442073235303

Jimfish
12-02-2003, 11:29 PM
I thought the whole point of techno is that it can be whatever you like?
The reason i make it is cos i can sit down in my studio and make whatever the **** comes out (within reason)....and im making techno?!??!

well for me at least techno is anything from minimal stuff to pprogressive stuff to hard stuff to housey stuff - whatever

Anonymous
12-02-2003, 11:46 PM
if you jump onto a bandwagon, you do so because it makes you money surely? if picotto wanted to make money he'd have stuck to playing trance.

"Gatecrasher" styled trance clubs are dying out (in this country at least) and just like the R1 situation with Fergie (and Jules to a degree) I see this new techno guise as actually being the bandwagon he's jumping on. It seems to be the "in thing" at the moment.

If people dig it, then fine. I don't, and that's the way it is.

Jimfish
12-02-2003, 11:49 PM
yeah but he has been making tunes like that for the best part of 5 years!!

Jimfish
12-02-2003, 11:52 PM
techno ones i mean!

MARKEG
13-02-2003, 12:21 AM
yes, he's been playing techno for years.... i remember doing an interview with him in 98 and he was talking about the liberators being the future of music...

Jimfish
13-02-2003, 12:31 AM
in fact i wish im going to go round his house now in a big pink dress with a copule of tomotoes down my top (its all ive got in the fridge) and get him drunk and let him get me knocked up...then im gonna make hundreds of clones of the baby and flog them on ebay....
hmm...wonder what my girfriend would have to say about this genius master-plan of mine???
pah! no matter, im bored with her anyway!!!

Jimfish
13-02-2003, 12:32 AM
ummm......my girlfriend caught me saying that and i have to publicly apologise.......*sniff*
*whimper* im sorry jackie......

Adverse
13-02-2003, 12:48 AM
.. shame on you!

MARKEG
13-02-2003, 01:01 AM
shame, shame, shame!!!!

Paul Nisbet
14-02-2003, 08:01 PM
mauro picottos 'techno' is more tech-house in my opinion. i tries to contain too much emotional content and lacks that un-human raw robotty type feeling..........

Have u heard BANGKOK???

Were back???
and remember he was behind all BXR, which includes, Marco zaffrano- retake, ricky effe - rectifier, trasponder ii - capsule/random.

Dunno why techno has to be intelligent and well thought out.

Whats intelligent about music??? Its something that comes from within, and makes ur hairs stand on end. Music is not somethin for people to climb up, then look down on people of differnt views and styles.

MissDVs
10-03-2003, 07:31 PM
In reply, to the "Techno Bandwagon"

I too recently decided I am going to play Techno. Hard banging Mauro style techno. I saw this guy do a six hour set in montreal, freaking incredible. As well, the first time listening to mauro thought that it would be trance, well I like most of his style. Unfortunately Carola and mauro will be missing Calgary on there tour, this time :(

For me Techno has been in my blood for 7 years, from the first time i tuned into shoutcast/real player? in 96' in my basement in BC. To Calgary when i asked for some banging hard stuff at the local outlet, I was actually looking for something like hard house, for lack of better words and just coming outa the bush I didnt know what hard house was, Instead they gave me some Crazy Acid techno to start my city life Journey.

i do enjoy ALL Music, well most, For some reason Techno has inspired me, the only real music that I have a desire to spin. Yes im a crazy bitch and i like it hard!!!
KEEPIN IT UNDERGROUND

Im glad I found you guys. BTW any first time tips are Apreciated.
Peace
Zara

Paul Nisbet
10-03-2003, 08:54 PM
if your looking for some quaility techno and acid techno give james a ring at banging tunes london 00442073235303

Can i ring u mate? In need of the filtiest tech u have.

BritishMurderBoy
13-03-2003, 02:55 AM
the piccoto debate is and interesting one, one that has stretched to many of the forums that i have been on and the range of respones is pretty well listed here......

I read an interview with piccoto (dont ask where ryan you wont like it :lol: ) he said he wanted to take "techno to the masses" and I think that is exactly what he is trying to do (the legitimacy of which you can debate another time) and to an extent I think he has succeeded.....

I agree with mark, the man has being playing techno, to an extent, for years; but has probably been to ashamed to admit it to his trance following..... Sadly for Picotto it has coincided with the real bandwagon jumpers, fergie to name the prime culprit, if you have seen his latest godskitchen set you like me will be suitably angry......

Theres not doubting piccotos cheesey upbringing but i dont think you can slate his techno past entirley..... I dont like him, I will never like him nor pay to see him DJ but I don't think it is fair to bash him to a possible techno convert.............

eyes without a face
13-03-2003, 10:22 PM
yet another picotto discussion

is the man really worth all this effort? imo.... no

BritishMurderBoy
14-03-2003, 08:33 PM
hit the nail on the head there matey

278d7e64a374de26f==