PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Sampling?

massplanck
17-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Whats the best solution these days for being able to leave your house and go around sampling cats shitting and loose change falling down drains?

Minidisk recorder with a good mike?

I'd be focusing on quality rather than price so any tips appreciated..

DJZeMig_L
17-03-2004, 05:09 PM
I would sat a portable DAT but this is getting hard 2 find (and now a bit pricey).... I would b temped 2 say some form of portable mp3 thing that has the option 2 record at 44.1Khz 24 Bit Stereo/ mono Wave or AIFF...

No dataloss/ compress recordings please (like Mp3 or MD)...

Z

massplanck
17-03-2004, 07:01 PM
I would sat a portable DAT but this is getting hard 2 find (and now a bit pricey).... I would b temped 2 say some form of portable mp3 thing that has the option 2 record at 44.1Khz 24 Bit Stereo/ mono Wave or AIFF...

No dataloss/ compress recordings please (like Mp3 or MD)...

Z

so MD is bad? I thought you could knock off compression and just have less space no?

and what about a mic?

EmotionComplex
17-03-2004, 07:11 PM
i think aphex twin used a MD, im not sure about what microphone though

DJZeMig_L
17-03-2004, 07:39 PM
MD is not a lossless system.. U can even record on a cassette if u felt like it but I guess when I sample I want the best sound I can get.. I can always fuc* up the sound as much as I want .. the oposite ain't possible... MD is very Practical not terrably sounding, certainly better than cassette.. but I guess u get my meaning!!

Z

The Divide
17-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Bjork uses MD's :lol:. Ive tried this with a sony one a few times and some Rhode NT1's (I think they were NT1's or NT3's, not too sure). Worked fine for me, see if theres anywhere you can hire portable DAT's out. I know I just go to my uni and take them over night. I personally would use a MD coz they arnt that expensive. Couple of nice mic's tho :!:

massplanck
17-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Bjork uses MD's :lol:. Ive tried this with a sony one a few times and some Rhode NT1's (I think they were NT1's or NT3's, not too sure). Worked fine for me, see if theres anywhere you can hire portable DAT's out. I know I just go to my uni and take them over night. I personally would use a MD coz they arnt that expensive. Couple of nice mic's tho :!:

Hmmm. Thats a good idea. Just hire one out for the weekend then go find some cats and break into some noisy factories.

thankx

The Divide
18-03-2004, 12:19 AM

Hmmm. Thats a good idea. Just hire one out for the weekend then go find some cats and break into some noisy factories.

thankx

You could try going to your local uni, find the location of the engineering workshop and and go in. Blag your way in and say your doing a sound recording project in a class there. Thats what we did. Ive ****ed up so many recording too because the sound lacks isolation. You get a shit load of ambient/atmospheric sound if your outside. Sounds obvious but we get used to hearing all that but when its brought into a controll room it sounds ****ed. Mind you its good if thats what your after. Corridoors and stairways are great for reverb sounds too, again you could try the local uni or hospital. Be carefull you dont get put in the nut house tho :!: . Take a metal pipe with you and try it :lol: .

The factory idea sounds :twisted: I bet youl get some sick sounds

The Overfiend
18-03-2004, 12:57 AM

If I get arrested tomorrow at my school you know why Danny.

Antinoise
18-03-2004, 08:17 AM
I like the recording that my minidisc produces.. and they are cheap. More important is the mic that you use..

FILTERZ
18-03-2004, 09:05 AM
If moneys no object i would get a palmtop computer (i saw one running sound forge) with usb or cardbus audio, very flash and tasty but bloody expensive and useful for lots of other stuff as well.

FILTERZ
18-03-2004, 09:08 AM
As for mic really it depends what sound your recording get the best one you can afford and something that is tough enough to be moved all the time.

yorkie
18-03-2004, 12:00 PM
I use MD's. the quality is absolutly fine!

FILTERZ
18-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Personally i wouldn`t use md but then i`m an audio snob ;)

audioinjection
18-03-2004, 04:46 PM
if you use a mic for recording outside sounds make sure you have a wind cover on your mic, you dont want all those wind sounds in your samples ;)

dirty_bass
18-03-2004, 07:23 PM
portable MD and mike is fine. Although you would need 2 mikes. A standard jobby and a rifle mike for pinpointing sounds.

Oh the joy

detfella
22-03-2004, 07:00 PM
I always wondered about getting one of those creative xen cos i think u can record wavs using them which would be perfect. What i've been using recently is a dodgy old dictophone (not so good on the quality tho - but that doesnt bother me too much)

278d7e64a374de26f==