PDA

View Full Version : Sampled loops in techno???

Dave Elyzium
18-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Just wondering how many of you use sampled loops in your tracks, and how many of you program all your drums from scratch??

maily
18-03-2004, 03:50 PM
i never use just a sampled loop on its own but will use them in combination with sequenced drums, for instance adding a sampled loop of tribal percussion behind my sequenced kick, snare, hats, etc.
but i won't use sample cd's i try and find loops in different places like on old charity shop/car boot records (much cheaper!).
sometimes i'll just extract the groove from a loop and apply that to a sequenced part.
I think it's best to try and get away from using loops too much, just let your imagination run riot in your key/drum edit window and see what happens :shock:

audioinjection
18-03-2004, 04:47 PM
I use loops in the background sometimes, but not as my main loop, I sequnece that myself

Col
18-03-2004, 05:23 PM
i only use one hit samples, i dont like the idea of taking a whole loop and slapping it in your track.

messyfuture
18-03-2004, 06:09 PM
i always used to use just sequenced drum loops, but recently i have been using loops in the back ground with fx on then so they sort of move round in the background give it a nice sort of movement

dirty_bass
18-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Both, when I use loops (that I generally find trawling the net) I usually beat slice and re-arrange.

It`s much more satisfying programming your own patterns

The Divide
18-03-2004, 11:16 PM
I used to work with loops all the way. Once I got to grips of battery and reason rewired ive manged to come away from all that and make the track in SX from scratch. Sometimes they help fill your mix out somewhat but I personally wouldnt bother getting into it too much. Esp if your running a soundcard with a few outs and an external mixer. Its also worth ripping sounds from other genre's and manipulating them. I wouldnt sample peoples grooves tho. Its much more fun and flexible writing them in using midi

Antinoise
18-03-2004, 11:58 PM
It all comes down to what you want to get out of your experience. I mean you could load 'garage band' and start slapping in loops and make a track that sounds like your a pro (kind of).. But where is the satisfaction in that... Personally I have tons of samples that I never touch because I get all enjoyment out of tweaking on knobs and trying to create something new. I feel like I'm cheating myself out of the experience if I take a loop and drop it in raw. If I ever use samples I have to cut and twist it enough that I feel like my creativity has taped it at least once.[/code]

scienceofuse
19-03-2004, 05:47 PM
I use both loops and sequenced rhythmic patterns... Loops can be really useful - I tend to make my own ones when I'm not in the mood for making real music, save them as .wav's and use them later. And loops aren't just meant to be stuck behind the rest of the beat, you can chop them up, layer them, use FX on them... a whole world of possibilities! :) Plus they can work really well with your own drum patterns, as it was pointed out in one of the above posts... That said, I'm against sampling someone else's loop and just sticking it in your tune, 'cos that's just plain non-creative, and you might get sued if you release it anyway :)

FILTERZ
23-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Use LOOPS but make them all myself , cant stand the thought of someone listening to my tune and going , oh i have that sample as well its from "Total Blah" six or whatever

FILTERZ
23-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Also , Audio engines are generally much tighter than midi engines and so i record using my drum machines sequencer (super duper tight) and then run these as loops in sx Audio , avoiding those horrible timing discrepancies you get with midi. Get better beats programming without the visual interface of a piano roll as well. ;)

Metadog
23-03-2004, 05:39 PM
tend to make it all from scratch, although i do use loops occasionally - used a nice breakbeat in our latest breakdown

djfunsko
08-04-2004, 09:51 AM
I create my own loops with synths and then loop then and add lfo's and delay or distortion, sometimes i use real samples of tribals or fills to give the song percussion or groove, check out my site...dj funsko...

HEY CHECK OUT MY SITE FROM TECHNO TO DISCO TECK HOUSE
FOR MP3'S ONE MINUTE DOWNLOADS IS ALL SAFE SEND ANY
FEEDBACK AND OPNINIONS THANKS
LOS ANGELES,USA

djfunsko@yahoo.com

http://www.geocities.com/kongrecordings

BloodStar
08-04-2004, 02:49 PM
I'm always using looped sequences I create. It's great to tweek them, EQ, give EFXs,,layer them,whatever. Never use whole loop and paste them to the track. It's lack of satisfaction and also it doesn't give me that feeling as I get when I create my own one which fit to the track better, deffo.
As someone mentioned above, sometimes I'm also just making the loops for 8 or 16 bars and export them as wav for later using. It's fun.

The Overfiend
08-04-2004, 06:38 PM
don't use loops until you know how to make your own from scratch, after while you have a back catalogue of all your own shit to use.

Mika Silo
09-04-2004, 04:10 PM
I used to program everything from scratch.. simply because I didn't know people where using sampled loops in some way :) but I know it helped me a lot
now I create my own loops from cutting en editing sampled loops and add the rest of the percussion en drums in the sequencer using midi..

twizted
30-04-2004, 02:57 PM
I tend to create my own loops, just build somethigng up in the sequencer and tweek it until it sounds right.

I download samples from the net, percussion stuff and synths and then just tweak
them until I hear something I like.

I use sounforge 7 to chop up loops i have downloaded sometimes as well.

i tend to use soundforge 7 to master completed tracks, make sure my EQ's
are perfect e.t.c.

278d7e64a374de26f==