PDA

View Full Version : Mp3 to wav, Loosy samples

The Divide
18-03-2004, 05:20 PM
I have a shit load of samples ive found on the net. Some are really 'dirty' samples (rips from old TV). I think ime gonna try use some of them and convert them to wav. Just wondering what an I actually loosing from this. They are all at 128kbs. I have never bothered to use mp3's as samples as I expect the quality will drop somewhat. My idea is it wont matter too much as these samples are supposed to sound dirty and I do like to drop the bit depth and sample rate on some samples anyways. I am hoping I can make them sound good but still crushed somewhat. Whats you thoughts on this? Do you use converted mp3s for samples? Just curious :lol:

dirty_bass
18-03-2004, 07:21 PM
All the time. I spend hours trawling the net for interesting sounds (there are some really good found sound sites, with like a whole page of escalators, and other nutz stuff) and then convert em to wav.

No problem.

DJZeMig_L
18-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Mp3 is a lossy format, I avoid like the devil... if u use a really high rate of conversio your ears won't tell the difference at all but I'm just 2 religious about my sounds. Also there is always the danger that a lot of processing (eq/ efxs, dynamic proc.) over a mp3ed sample might bring in 2 more detail the faults of the process!

Z

The Divide
18-03-2004, 11:05 PM
Mp3 is a lossy format, I avoid like the devil... if u use a really high rate of conversio your ears won't tell the difference at all but I'm just 2 religious about my sounds. Also there is always the danger that a lot of processing (eq/ efxs, dynamic proc.) over a mp3ed sample might bring in 2 more detail the faults of the process!

Z

Yea man, I see your point too. I guess its all down to how it sounds in the mix when processed an Eq'in. I woudnt have tried this before actually. Supose its better to give it a blast and see what happens

Antinoise
18-03-2004, 11:11 PM
There is nothing lost going back from MP3 to wav. Whatever the mp3 sounds like .. thats what the WAV will sound like. So use your ear and be critical over whats good /crap..

DJZeMig_L
19-03-2004, 12:22 AM
My bad.... the brain was faster than the eye... going from mp3 2 wave shouldn't b a prob (in fact I don't really know if that's 100% true, namelly if u use different decoding algorit.s, probabbly with slightly different results), the prob will b 4 sure on the encoding (and the specs used 4 that) as I mentioned on the earlier post .

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==