PDA

View Full Version : What hardware sampler/drum sampler would you recommend.

The Divide
18-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Right, ive got a budget of upto about 1,000 pounds. Gonna buy a sampler me thinks. I have an Akai S1000 and I love it but its worthless simply because it takes too long and makes way too much noise. I am hoping I can find a sampler thats quick(ish) to use, perhaps a way of drag and dropping samples from my pc via a scuzzy/firewire/PCI connection? Bit like using messa or something like. Any any recommendations on this. I would also like to be able to use this same piece of kit live in a PA. I think it would be used maily for percussion/rhythm samples. Much appreciate any advice on this one.

messyfuture
18-03-2004, 05:58 PM
some sort of mpc......
i picked up a mpc2000 for £250, i got it second hand cause i did not want to pay big bucks for something new that would maybe not do the job for my live set.
even the basic 2000 is really good!! :lol: all my samples and audio files that i have in my sampler and on my pc transfared really easily across into it. I also use it to control my 909 which then goes into a mackie with 2 filter boxes compression and fx.(I'm playing live with this set up next week for the first time and really looking forward to it)
As a sampler i dont rate it that much but if u have a load of old tracks u dont really need to sample them.... just put them on a floppy and bang them in.
If u have £1000 u could pick up a 2000xl fully loaded i think and it has more features thean the 2000...
If all goes well with the one i have i am deffo gonna look into upgrading even maybe to a mpc1000.
ANYWAY
i think the mpc range is blinding
;)

The Divide
18-03-2004, 06:33 PM
some sort of mpc......
i picked up a mpc2000 for £250, i got it second hand cause i did not want to pay big bucks for something new that would maybe not do the job for my live set.
even the basic 2000 is really good!! :lol: all my samples and audio files that i have in my sampler and on my pc transfared really easily across into it. I also use it to control my 909 which then goes into a mackie with 2 filter boxes compression and fx.(I'm playing live with this set up next week for the first time and really looking forward to it)
As a sampler i dont rate it that much but if u have a load of old tracks u dont really need to sample them.... just put them on a floppy and bang them in.
If u have £1000 u could pick up a 2000xl fully loaded i think and it has more features thean the 2000...
If all goes well with the one i have i am deffo gonna look into upgrading even maybe to a mpc1000.
ANYWAY
i think the mpc range is blinding
;)

thanks man, MPC sounds good. I will have a look into this

Barely Human
18-03-2004, 06:50 PM
I take it this is for live work?

messyfuture
18-03-2004, 06:55 PM
I hope so! :lol:
its been rock solid in the studio when ive been practising, and alot more fun, :lol:

The Divide
18-03-2004, 07:40 PM
I take it this is for live work?

Both

messyfuture
18-03-2004, 07:47 PM
My last post mad no sense at all :doh: :doh: :doh:

Barely Human
18-03-2004, 08:17 PM
The mpc's are a good bet, really reliable, but you could also consider, dare i say it, a laptop :shock:

messyfuture
18-03-2004, 08:26 PM
i was using a laptop (not mine though)
but since i have the mpc it has made such a difference u sort of remix ur tracks when u load sounds over, and it is such a quick and easy way to do it.....
before my live stuff sounded really like the orginal tracks, there is now a vast difference between them, which i think is a good thing.
Some of the new loops and that i have created on the mpc are worth resampling and doing the track again

DJZeMig_L
18-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Don't say I didn't warn u guys!

Z

jake
18-03-2004, 09:22 PM
new electribe sampler with the tubes looks nice.. i had the old one and it does indeed rock!

Jimfish
18-03-2004, 09:28 PM
ive got an S6000 u can buy!!

its the mutts nutz of a sampler man, and its fully loaded and pretty much like new

Jimfish
18-03-2004, 09:29 PM

its the mutts nutz of a sampler man, and its fully loaded and pretty much like new

g
18-03-2004, 11:05 PM
i was using a laptop (not mine though)
but since i have the mpc it has made such a difference u sort of remix ur tracks when u load sounds over, and it is such a quick and easy way to do it.....
before my live stuff sounded really like the orginal tracks, there is now a vast difference between them, which i think is a good thing.
Some of the new loops and that i have created on the mpc are worth resampling and doing the track again
getting a bit off the original topic but what you're describing is what Live excels at. once you get past the basics and understand the flexibility of that app, you may just laugh at the limitations of an mpc.

not that i don't think an mpc is a great piece of kit... it is :)

The Divide
18-03-2004, 11:06 PM

Ohhh Jim!! Get your sen on msn

messyfuture
19-03-2004, 01:15 PM
getting a bit off the original topic but what you're describing is what Live excels at. once you get past the basics and understand the flexibility of that app, you may just laugh at the limitations of an mpc.

I have live as well just like hardware more :lol:

i really do need to get into live a bit more all i really use it for is time streching and messin up mixes

The Divide
19-03-2004, 05:51 PM

I have live as well just like hardware more :lol:

i really do need to get into live a bit more all i really use it for is time streching and messin up mixes

I hear ya, I think I wanna use hardware. I have played around with Live and I do like it. But I wanna get more hands on and use it with the studio. Mpc sounds realy good

messyfuture
19-03-2004, 06:01 PM
if u have a look on sound on sounds website in the readers ad's u can pick u second had ones pretty cheap and the loot website too.

www.soundonsound.com

www.loot.co.uk

messyfuture
19-03-2004, 06:05 PM
oh and if ur not completely sure about getting an mpc or have any questions bout them check out

http://www.mpc-forums.com/

really good forum lots of nice peeps.....

The Divide
19-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Ive read too much bad press about the MPC4000 mainly over reliability issues. The MPC1000 with 6 outs sounds ideal :lol: Thanks for the links

278d7e64a374de26f==