PDA

View Full Version : Best MP3 encoder?

Smak
20-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Started to convert my vinyl to mp3, which is the best encoder to use? I already have soundforge 7.0 but have been informed there is better software specific for encoding mp3's at high bit rates (192-320kbps). Any suggestions?

Barely Human
20-03-2004, 12:52 PM
LAME encoders are usualy rated as the best, but most software uses these algorythms anyway. Personnally i use wavelab, but its down to personal preference really.

jake
28-03-2004, 11:12 PM
LAME sounds the best but i use the one in apple itunes just cuz its so damn easy!

mux
02-04-2004, 08:52 PM
LAME is definitely the best - I've never tried it in Windows, but there's a gotcha in Linux to watch out for... the "high quality" option defaults to 128k, joint-stereo. Ewwww, all stereo imaging goes out the window. :(

TechnoNRGKid
10-09-2004, 02:41 AM
LAME encoders are usualy rated as the best, but most software uses these algorythms anyway. Personnally i use wavelab, but its down to personal preference really.
:clap:

doc12inch
10-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Started to convert my vinyl to mp3, which is the best encoder to use? I already have soundforge 7.0 but have been informed there is better software specific for encoding mp3's at high bit rates (192-320kbps). Any suggestions?

i use a prog called audiocatalyst - its pretty much the same as lame - slightly more user friendly and works nice and quick - i recommend that it can encode upto 320 easy.

plus it has some really good id3 tag stuff.

pm me and ill send you a copy (if i can find it) its freeware by the way

Evil G
22-10-2004, 12:53 AM
i just went to the lame website as found by searching yahoo. it went through a redirect, i got a bunch of pop up windows, and my anti-virus reported that it was trying to install a trojan.

that really is lame. :rambo:

MangaFish
25-10-2004, 09:52 PM

i use a prog called audiocatalyst - its pretty much the same as lame - slightly more user friendly and works nice and quick - i recommend that it can encode upto 320 easy.

audio catalyst was shareware when i 1st got hold of it. audio grabber on the other hand was freewere as it didnt have a built in encoder (used to call resourse DLLs or command line encoders)

i would deffinatly recomend audio catalyst. its by far the best program i've used (but then i've not been looking for 3 years or so as i've been happy with what i've got)

btw: you can use audio catalysts interface but set in the options to use LAME if you wanted to

doc12inch
26-10-2004, 08:42 AM

audio catalyst was shareware when i 1st got hold of it. audio grabber on the other hand was freewere as it didnt have a built in encoder (used to call resourse DLLs or command line encoders)

i would deffinatly recomend audio catalyst. its by far the best program i've used (but then i've not been looking for 3 years or so as i've been happy with what i've got)

btw: you can use audio catalysts interface but set in the options to use LAME if you wanted to

yeah you can add the lame enc onto it and use it that way.

tis a very verstaile proggie

MangaFish
28-10-2004, 09:56 PM
that said, i've never had any complaints with the built in encoder

278d7e64a374de26f==