PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Electronic featuring live drums.

The Divide
20-03-2004, 10:55 PM
We have to do a multi track recording project for uni, this means getting in some musicians and shit. Most the people are getting a bands in and doing a cover of some indie or rock shit. Decided I cant be arsed with any of that, so took a diff approach. Made a click track and got one of the lecturers to drum our group (4 of us). All he had was a metronome and some pads in his headphones. I asked him to do something a bit different with a swing style rhythm. Fooookin very impressed by what he came up with. Its taken a fair bit of scizzoring up to get it right but ****ing ell some good rhythms came out of it to say it was un rehearsed. Ive a feeling I will have to take out some of these synths and replace them with traditional instruments tho which sucks :cry: .

http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/CoBco2.mp3

romelpotter
21-03-2004, 12:06 AM
na man leave it, its ****in great. just define the kick a bit more, possibly sort out the half time section at 02.30, rhythm wise its a bit out but you could say they are to create tension within the track. ;) love the reverse drums ...very effective. also the hat is a bit tinny and high in the mix. but brilliant mate. nice one :lol:

romelpotter
21-03-2004, 12:11 AM
if you ever need live drums and are stuck, give me a shout mate. ;)

The Divide
21-03-2004, 12:14 AM
if you ever need live drums and are stuck, give me a shout mate. ;)

Cool!!! hahaha Thats great, anywhere near Leeds at all?

The Divide
21-03-2004, 12:22 AM
na man leave it, its ****in great. just define the kick a bit more, possibly sort out the half time section at 02.30, rhythm wise its a bit out but you could say they are to create tension within the track. ;) love the reverse drums ...very effective. also the hat is a bit tinny and high in the mix. but brilliant mate. nice one :lol:

Thanks man, not used to this kinda mixdown. Yea now you mention it the kicks almost silent. I accidently muted the overhead channels too when exporting it too. hahaha Cowboy eh? Oh well, still a few weeks work left in this. :lol:

romelpotter
21-03-2004, 12:39 AM
In manchester so its not to far. my kit might be a problem though, if you could sort one i could bring my snare and cyms. no problemo. anything can be arranged in good time :lol:

if you muted the ohl and ohr then leave the hat as is. when you bring the overheads up ride them until it all fits then compress the kit. play around with the settings until you can rearly hear the kit pump. norm fast attack and fast release but its best just to play :lol: then add a totch of reverb to blend the kit togeather. if you are having probs with the snare sounding to put of place. put a notch filter @ 500 hz and reduce by anything up to 1db , it can rearly open a kit out. but it doesnt always work.

romelpotter
21-03-2004, 12:42 AM
shit i fogot, with the kick, if to eq at about 75 hz then it can sound bit wooly, filter at about 100 - 125 hz, with anything up to + 2db with a shallow q setting to add depth and definition to the kick all else fails, use a shelving eq @ 85 hz and increase the db until you get the sound you want. :lol:

The Divide
21-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Awsome man ;) Thanks

detfella
21-03-2004, 07:16 PM
big up leeds met

dan the acid man
21-03-2004, 10:08 PM
nice, it reminds me a bit of some 70's prog rock rick wakeman style in places

yorkie
25-03-2004, 11:56 AM
funny as f*ck that!!!

You do CMST?????

I'm on year 3

probs see ya at darkside!!!

jus give us a shout!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The Divide
25-03-2004, 04:58 PM
funny as f*ck that!!!

You do CMST?????

I'm on year 3

jus give us a shout!

Hahahahhahahaha!!!!! yea I am CMST, Paul Conways group!! hahahah!!!!

Foookin ell its a small world!!

Hahahahah

waldhaus
25-03-2004, 05:05 PM
very nice!!!!

The Divide
25-03-2004, 05:10 PM
funny as f*ck that!!!

You do CMST?????

I'm on year 3

jus give us a shout!

Wow some one on my course that actually likes techno. That makes a change. :lol:

detfella
25-03-2004, 05:40 PM
thats three of us!! :twisted:

detfella
25-03-2004, 05:41 PM
and i hope u didnt get conway to play the drums - that would be a shocker!

The Divide
25-03-2004, 05:42 PM
and i hope u didnt get conway to play the drums - that would be a shocker!

No way??? Your at leeds met too!!

detfella
25-03-2004, 05:43 PM
me & yorkie in same year

The Divide
Hahaha Conway on the drums, its bad enougth been in his lecture's.

Too many of his own cheesy quotes!

"Ime a musician not a magician"

Muahahhaahaha

The Divide
:shock: :shock: :shock:

The Divide
25-03-2004, 05:44 PM
hahahhaa Quality!

detfella
25-03-2004, 05:44 PM
did you get to see that wonderfull picture of him playing the keyboards in front of the fruit machines!!! what a geezer :lol:

The Divide
25-03-2004, 05:46 PM
did you get to see that wonderfull picture of him playing the keyboards in front of the fruit machines!!! what a geezer :lol:

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA YEA!! :lol:

The Divide
25-03-2004, 05:48 PM
This is wickid. I will have to make a point on meeting up with ya both. I am actually in this sunday :roll: doing this project.

Do you 2 still use the studios been in the first year and all? Ime always kicking about studio 1 on a thursday afternoon with me group.

The Divide
25-03-2004, 05:49 PM
*Been in the 3rd year*

detfella
25-03-2004, 05:55 PM
we were in uni today doing weird synthesis things in the electronics labs.

dont use the studios much anymore, shame cos they look 10 times better than last year.

i work @hmv @weekends and most of the time in week i never make it in, cos someone keeps putting weed in with my weetabix.

darkside would be good to meet up....i know yorkie will be going and i will if i finish my work :crackup:

The Divide
25-03-2004, 05:58 PM
we were in uni today doing weird synthesis things in the electronics labs.

dont use the studios much anymore, shame cos they look 10 times better than last year.

i work @hmv @weekends and most of the time in week i never make it in, cos someone keeps putting weed in with my weetabix.

darkside would be good to meet up....i know yorkie will be going and i will if i finish my work :crackup:

Mate just by the off chance you wasnt working in HMV today was you!!!

The Divide
25-03-2004, 06:00 PM
I was in HMV today with people from my class. :shock:

The Divide
25-03-2004, 06:06 PM
Someone a few weeks ago showed me this tune by one of the guys from Daft punk that Surgeon played at the Orbit long time ago. I was in Hmv just killing some time on my dinner break today and telling my mate about it. I had my wires crossed tho and for some reason I thought it was by one of basement jaxx! (yea lol). Someone working there corrected me. Was that you?? :shock:

detfella
25-03-2004, 06:08 PM
naahhh im only a weekend gimp. that was probably andy (he's our legendary trainspotter :!: )

The Divide
25-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Hahahahha ****in ell I was begining to freak out!! hahaha! What a crazy coincidence that would have been :!: :!: :!:

Crazy!

detfella
25-03-2004, 06:12 PM
hahahah this thread is quickly turning into an epic of missy proportions

The Divide
Fancy selling some of your assignments papers down to me! hahahahha

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Divide
hahahah this thread is quickly turning into an epic of missy proportions

hahaha

detfella
25-03-2004, 06:13 PM
what assignments u got on?

detfella
25-03-2004, 06:15 PM
what track did surgeon play, was it daft punk alive??

The Divide
25-03-2004, 06:19 PM
hahahahaha. I was kidding. In the words of Dr Conway...

"your only cheating yourself"

hahaha :lol: I made that one up but ime sure hes got a similar quote :roll:

I have to do the multi track one, which is this, lol. Conway has one for us coming up which I have no idea what it is. Also there's a pro skills assignment, for that we have to compose a piece of contempory music or review 4 tracks from certain ablums. One of those albums is by Kraftwerk so I think I am going to avoid the composition one and do that. Sounds a bit too harsh, dont like doing all the chord progression stuff.

Btw it was Tom who did these drums :lol:

The Divide
25-03-2004, 06:22 PM
what track did surgeon play, was it daft punk alive??

I arnt too sure what its called. Its basically a track thats got a lot going on in it. Its like a drum machine going nuts and doing all kinds of flashy rhythms and it has a vocal snip in it. Its something I didnt expect at all. Its not by Daft Punk, its by one of the guys in daft punk.

The Divide
25-03-2004, 06:22 PM
(I think)

detfella
25-03-2004, 06:29 PM

hahah, my assignments are all rambling bollx anyway.

damit, do the composition and give em a dirty hard gabba track, and say its in melodic 5ths!!

it might be thomas bangalter from daft punk - i love his productions

romelpotter
25-03-2004, 06:45 PM

hahah, my assignments are all rambling bollx anyway.

damit, do the composition and give em a dirty hard gabba track, and say its in melodic 5ths!!

yea spinal scratch or trax on da rocks are wicked :lol:

The Divide
25-03-2004, 06:57 PM

sounds familiar man :cool:

278d7e64a374de26f==