PDA

View Full Version : Ade Fenton...

Clarkus
22-03-2004, 12:59 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
..........What a set. He came to Glasgow on saturday nite ( after a bit of arsing around waiting on trains) to give the punters up here two hours of what can only be described as absolute bangin techno madness. If some of them didn't know who he was before, they certainly do now.
And i must add what a sound guy.... i was a bit pissed at folk leaning over the decks wanting to see what tunes were being played but ade didn't mind one bit, got on with the gig and blew the place away.....

:clap: :clap: Cheers once again. Can't wait for the return of mr fenton to Glasgow.

Louis Theroux
22-03-2004, 05:04 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
..........What a set. He came to Glasgow on saturday nite ( after a bit of arsing around waiting on trains) to give the punters up here two hours of what can only be described as absolute bangin techno madness. If some of them didn't know who he was before, they certainly do now.
And i must add what a sound guy.... i was a bit pissed at folk leaning over the decks wanting to see what tunes were being played but ade didn't mind one bit, got on with the gig and blew the place away.....

:clap: :clap: Cheers once again. Can't wait for the return of mr fenton to Glasgow.

Was planning to go to this but the venue put me off in the end/Went to see Radioactive Man & Ellen Allien instead. Was it busy/good turn out?

Clarkus
22-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Absolutely brilliant nite mate, you should have come. Really good turn out. Lots of Fenton fans and alot of new fenton fans after his set. :dance:

We've had a few probs with the venue past couple of nites but thats all been sorted now.

What exactly was it that put u off coming ???? The venue wasn't a problem for anybody else mate!! :eh:

Tony
23-03-2004, 12:25 PM
hmmm, maybe he pulled something special out of the bag for you guys, cos most birmingham/atomic regulars usually go to the other rooms when he's on. i have witnessed a lot of really appalling mixing and you do wonder how he ever got to where he is. but if you've only seen him once then maybe you caught him on a good night :?:

Frank Dogshit
23-03-2004, 12:31 PM
hes usually a pretty consistent end to the night ade fenton at the jam.

gutted for him last time,when the needle kept jumpin durin the last hour of his set.

great tune selection from the guy.

Clarkus
23-03-2004, 01:42 PM
He did mention being a bit pissed about the needles at atomic jam.......Nothing worse is there! :protest:

I can imagine that after seeing ade play most months you'd get a bit bored and want to see somebody else (Thats the problem being resident somewhere i suppose). Thats what i do at most of the nites i regularly go to up here. But as for me this is only the second time i'd seen him the first being at gods kitchen the year before last (both times he's been spot on).
He seemed to be well pleased with his set, said it was the best he'd played in ages. I'd like to put part of that down to a really good crowd :)

Hopefully when he's back up next time he'll be just as good.

Francisco Scaramanga
23-03-2004, 01:45 PM
hmmm, I know there are a certain crowd who are not massive fans of Ade, but to say most atomic jam regulars leave when he is playing? Blatently untrue - all you have to do is look!!! All the regulars who don't like him leave, and all the regulars who love to bang it out for the last hour come running - just a question of differing tastes I think.

He's played at nights we've put on 3 times now, and every time he has played a great set, definately different from the last set at the jam stuff, nicely varied, well mixed. I'm not saying he is the best DJ in the world, just that in my opinion he is pretty good.

death on a stick
23-03-2004, 02:44 PM
I can imagine that after seeing ade play most months you'd get a bit bored and want to see somebody else (Thats the problem being resident somewhere i suppose).
Only if you're not a good DJ. Francois K has held residencies in NYC for 25+ years without attracting such comments, and he plays mostly house and disco. You'd have thought that a techno resident would have massive scope given all the new music that is constantly released. It's down to the residents to maintain interest in the club, not to play the same set month on month until enough people complain and the promoters switch to a new resident.

Did the needles only start skipping after Ade Fenton came on? Wonder what happened there, then. Guest DJs sabotaging the decks? :lol:

Frank Dogshit
23-03-2004, 03:20 PM
not sure exactly.

i heard double beats everywhere during liebins borin set and maybe it was the needles again.

happened loads during ades set tho.

Clarkus
23-03-2004, 03:53 PM
I was meaning along the lines of, once you've seen the resident DJ month after month, you may prefer to see somebody new. Not that the DJ's play the same tracks every month. I don't think i've ever heard any resident play the same tracks every month :eh:

As for sabotours :rambo: ...........that leibing.... whats he all about, poor ade :lol:

Frank Dogshit
23-03-2004, 04:27 PM
always a belter down the jam when ade drops that speedy j mix of Weather.

perfect end to the night.

death on a stick
23-03-2004, 06:58 PM
I don't think i've ever heard any resident play the same tracks every month

:doh:

Sunil
23-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Did the needles only start skipping after Ade Fenton came on? Wonder what happened there, then. Guest DJs sabotaging the decks? :lol:

Well it can happen, I've had the misfortune of needles jumping or the needles not cuing which can be an almighty head wrecker as I'm sure most people here would agree...

A lot of threads here regarding Ade seem to transcend into criticism of him, sounds to me like jealousy.

Analbumcover
23-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Got to agree with Tony on this one. Not been to the Jam for a while, but Fenton really did used to be pretty awful. I was always amazed he had the balls to play like he did in front of so many people. As for DJs playing the same tracks, you used to be able to set your watch by Ade Fenton, Lanicor by Umek, must be 5.45am then.... two more tracks and it's home time.

I don't see threads about Jerome Hill turning into criticism, and I know which of the two's talent I'd personally be jealous of.

Clarkus
23-03-2004, 09:12 PM
I don't think i've ever heard any resident play the same tracks every month

:doh:

I'VE never heard any resident play the same tracks EVERY month. :dontevengothere:

Last i checked i live in paisley mate, don't get down to atomic jam much! ;)

Clarkus
23-03-2004, 09:29 PM
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/dobbiedesigns/mysite/refresh.jpg

Main thing is...This mob were loving it at the end of the day :rambo: and so were we!

Stella Boy
23-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Looked like an up for it crowd and nice little venue.
Being a resident is a double edged sword and sometimes it can be the hardest DJ job around. If you're the guest then the majority of the club are there to see you play but the resident has the job of getting / keeping the crowd going before/after the guest is/has played. I've got alot of respect for residents, even if they do **** up a mx now and then.

death on a stick
23-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Agreed, being resident of a well respected and regular techno night isn't an easy job - especially when you aren't the ultimate decision maker as to who actually plays as a resident. It's the resident's responsibility to do many things - they must create the context for the guests while keeping an identity of their own. They shape the identity of the night. They should be good enough to fill the venue on their own regardless of guests being there or not - it's their job to build and maintain the clubs regular clientelle. Residents should be the identity of the club, they ought not to be overshadowed by every guest who turns up.

They should take on the responsibility for schooling their "flock" and keeping them fed with fresh music, pushing new sounds and keeping the club alive, preventing it from going stale, keeping things moving forward.

Not many residents are up to that. Not sure the subject of this thread is either from the comments here and elsewhere.

Jimfish
24-03-2004, 12:53 AM
well the three times ive seen ade his sets have been totally different from each other (more so than most djs ive seen) and allways very well put togethor and mixed and some truly magnificent fx tweakin last time i saw him.

dont know what he used to be like but from what ive seen he has what it takes these days for sure.

Clarkus
24-03-2004, 01:07 AM
:clap:

jake
24-03-2004, 12:07 PM
i like some of his tracks and i liked that set on bbc radio 1

Frank Dogshit
24-03-2004, 05:55 PM
a resident dj isnt always out there to educate. its all about giving the crowd what they want and ade does that pretty darn well.

eyes without a face
24-03-2004, 06:23 PM
of course Ade has made mistakes whilst Djing, havent we all, but the fact that he is the head ressie at Atomic Jam sorta speaks for itself really

i know alot of people who really enjoy his sets, myself included

Tony
24-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Got to agree with Tony on this one. Not been to the Jam for a while, but Fenton really did used to be pretty awful. I was always amazed he had the balls to play like he did in front of so many people. As for DJs playing the same tracks, you used to be able to set your watch by Ade Fenton, Lanicor by Umek, must be 5.45am then.... two more tracks and it's home time.

I don't see threads about Jerome Hill turning into criticism, and I know which of the two's talent I'd personally be jealous of.

thats a perfect way to sum it up. alls i know is that the only people i've met who say they really like his sets are people absolutely off their faces while he's on. most people whos opinions i trust, if we get all purist about it, arent in to him. that doesnt mean to say you cant enjoy him and you cant deny what hes done and where he is, but theres one jerome hill and lots of ade fentons.

Clarkus
24-03-2004, 08:47 PM
thats a perfect way to sum it up. alls i know is that the only people i've met who say they really like his sets are people absolutely off their faces while he's on. most people whos opinions i trust, if we get all purist about it, arent in to him. that doesnt mean to say you cant enjoy him and you cant deny what hes done and where he is, but theres one jerome hill and lots of ade fentons.

Seems like a poor atempt at criticism from the green eyed monster from within!!!!...............but hey, each to there own ;)

eyes without a face
24-03-2004, 09:15 PM
i do think also that with certain Dj's/artists, it doesnt matter what they do for/within the scene, people just dont accept em!

There is alot of jealousy in the techno scene, alot of people who arent doing aswell as they maybe should be or think they should be and end up spending alot of their time slagging others who are doing very well for themselves!!!

Ade is a top Dj, a little rough technically at times, but never the less a wikid Dj, he's got alot of energy that gets transferred into his sets. So what if he plays certain records when he plays the Jam, i challenge anyone to find a Dj that doesnt have a fave/signature record that gets a caining at every opportunity, ive got a couple i know that!

come on everyone, lets just take it easy on ol Ade and appreciate what he is doing

Tiddlypeep
24-03-2004, 09:46 PM
i do think also that with certain Dj's/artists, it doesnt matter what they do for/within the scene, people just dont accept em!

There is alot of jealousy in the techno scene, alot of people who arent doing aswell as they maybe should be or think they should be and end up spending alot of their time slagging others who are doing very well for themselves!!!

Ade is a top Dj, a little rough technically at times, but never the less a wikid Dj, he's got alot of energy that gets transferred into his sets. So what if he plays certain records when he plays the Jam, i challenge anyone to find a Dj that doesnt have a fave/signature record that gets a caining at every opportunity, ive got a couple i know that!

come on everyone, lets just take it easy on ol Ade and appreciate what he is doing

Well said.

At the end of the day I have alot of respect for Ade Fenton. IMO he is a wicked DJ and isn't up his own arse like so many other big name Techno DJ's.

Give the guy a break...

JimmySomerville
24-03-2004, 09:48 PM

Hear, hear :lol:

Ade is to date the best guest we've had up and we'll definately be having him back....He may not be Mr Credible in a lot of peoples eyes but then again our night probably isn't your purists dream and nor would I want it to be.

We had a capacity crowd, absoloutely loving it, Ade was on top form and the residents held their own as well....And that my friends is what it is all about (Last time I checked).

Leon :lol:

eyes without a face
24-03-2004, 09:52 PM
word!

death on a stick
24-03-2004, 11:31 PM
IMO he is a wicked DJ and isn't up his own arse like so many other big name Techno DJ's.
whatever you wanna say about his DJing, there's absolutely no question that he most definitely IS way, way up his own arse and ego infested, albeit without the profile to really strut it around like more "popular" DJs with the same lack of modesty. Look at his website for goodness' sake!!! http://www.advancedrecords.net - it's practically a shrine to himself. Almost every page with a posed photograph of him, not to mention a hilariously ghastly selection of posed press shots in the downloads section that look like something from the fashion pages of some other worldly lifestyle magazine. So bad it's funny, and only an ego out of control would have the gall to be so immodest.

I don't know the guy, met him and he seemed fine but others I know who know him better aren't as kind in their reports. As a DJ and producer, generic and unimaginative (never had issue with his mixing, seems fine to me on the odd occasion I've heard him play). Not a very positive ambassador for UK techno, despite the fact that so many people seem to be into the stuff he plays.

I don't know, it's a hard call to make and threads like this can end up as character assassinations - easy enough when the flaws are so obvious, and in fact are boosted and publicised on the individuals own website. I don't doubt it's hard to achieve and maintain the position that Ade Fenton is in now, but when you consider that there are hundreds of DJs and producers that are so much better, and thousands who sound exactly the same, one wonders at the system that results in such people even being discussed on forums such as this.

MARKEG
25-03-2004, 12:56 AM
death me and you have a problem (now there's a surprise!) why is ade up there? it's because he's worked hard at what he does. he's worked hard to get that website up and running. he's worked hard at his bookings. he might not be the best dj in the world but he does his thing and he's still in this game that pays most ppl f all.

i have to say, i think he's a pretty ok bloke and he's trying to do his thing. he might not be the 'BEST' but why knock a bloke down if he's trying?

i like ade fenton. i don't like all of his releases but i don't care - he's part of the make up of this techno industry.

fair play to him.

The Overfiend
25-03-2004, 01:24 AM
If you had a website of your own.
Would you not
1.) Include info of yourself.
2.) Talk about your achievements.
3.) Put pics up so the ladies can swoon?

I didn't see a thing wrong with the Advanced site, I mean not for nothing Death but even Surgeon's got a few mugshots on his site as well.

daviec
25-03-2004, 07:06 AM
This is an odd thread :eh: Although only to be expected I suppose.

I had heard Ade play on several occasions before this night. Godskitchen, Foresight, I Love Techno, and his Radio 1 mix, and I'd say the only thing similar about his sets were the huge amount of tracks he gets through!!

That's his style, and it works well for him. His mixing was spot on for 2 hours on Saturday, and worked the crowd really well with a varied set. Starting off quite tamely (for some) but banging it out by the end.

For someone who wasn't particularly looking forward to coming up to Scotland, his enthusiasm when he came back of the decks said it all. He took time to wander round the club, talked to everyone that stopped him (and there were more than a few folk wanting to talk), and went to the back to the afterparty at closing.

I'll admit he did have a certain cockiness at times, but he came across as a pretty sound bloke and we had a good laugh before our sets.

Good luck to the guy, he seems to have put a lot of effort in, and is getting something back out now.

Plus the gigs will be rolling in since his last box office hit :lol:

http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/d/Depp_Johnny/sq-depp-pirates-grin-bv.jpg

http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/d/Depp_Johnny/sq-depp-pirates-grin-bv.jpg

daviec
25-03-2004, 07:07 AM
Woops. Second one should have been...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dj_sanders/simon/reFresh3/100_4494.jpg

Clarkus
25-03-2004, 10:33 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ha, Separated at birth!!

Analbumcover
25-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Actually I think you'll find he's packed in techno all together and is now a mobile hairdresser, currently working in the Salon....

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/S/thesalon/images/staff/156x184/156x184_terry.jpg

death on a stick
25-03-2004, 11:30 AM
hehe, uncanny. He was pretty good in that film, although as has been documented he based himself on a well known musical celebrity. More cloning going on there, then.

If you had a website of your own.
Would you not
1.) Include info of yourself.
2.) Talk about your achievements.
3.) Put pics up so the ladies can swoon?

I didn't see a thing wrong with the Advanced site, I mean not for nothing Death but even Surgeon's got a few mugshots on his site as well.
I'd not necessarily put any of those things on a record label site, to be honest. The first two, probably, possibly, if they were relevant to the actual music (and it is a label site, right?)...although I'm also not a fan of people lauding themselves or their achievements, real or otherwise, in their own words - just looks like bragging. Objective statement is fine with me. Just my taste, really, and it depends on how it is presented. Invariably if I see people calling themselves pioneers in any context the first thing I'll think is that they're a totally arrogant cock (this point is not in reference to the specific individual in this topic, but a general observation of some websites I've seen and the behaviour I've seen from some "artists").

The third one, only if I really fancied myself and was a bit of an immodest tit. I see nothing wrong with showing people what you look like, but that site is draped in poncey images on almost every page and it's pretty distasteful. It's not a pop-star's site, ffs.

MARK EG - I fail to see what the problem we have is, you've pretty much repeated several of my points in your own words so it would appear you're disagreeing with yourself. It's just that I approach things from an ends perspective, not a means. The end result is what is important, not really how much effort one does or doesn't have to expend in order to achieve it. What's the point in working your arse off to be everyone's favourite generic hard techno DJ/producer? Fair play to him, as you say - there's a lot of competition out there.

Jimfish
25-03-2004, 12:38 PM
only if I really fancied myself and was a bit of an immodest tit.

well you are certainly not modest about your opinions death

ncw
25-03-2004, 12:39 PM
only if I really fancied myself and was a bit of an immodest tit.

well you are certainly not modest about your opinions death

erm...

Francisco Scaramanga
25-03-2004, 01:33 PM
death - I just wanted to point out how silly this post looked:

"there's absolutely no question that he most definitely IS way, way up his own arse and ego infested"

combined with this shortly after:

"I don't know the guy, met him and he seemed fine"

How on earth can you say that there is absolutely no question about his egomania when in your only encounter with him he seemed fine! Just because some people you know told you so... maybe you should trust your own judgement in the future. I don't know Ade very well, but in all my dealings with him he has been sound as ****, he is a very decent guy, and I have certainly not witnessed any of this mega ego you are on about - he has come and played in absolute shithole clubs for us, and never complained about the crappy equipment or whatever, and has always been buzzing with the crowd.

Fair enough if you don't like him, but to make cutting personal attacks based on the opinions of some random unnamed "others" - I think thats a bit out of order.

death on a stick
25-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Fair enough if you don't like him, but to make cutting personal attacks based on the opinions of some random unnamed "others" - I think thats a bit out of order.
I never said I don't like him, I don't know him well enough to judge that. I don't like the music he plays or the way he presents himself and have made my comments based on that. I met him many years ago - lots of things have happened/changed since then so my points aren't mutually exclusive.

Tony
25-03-2004, 02:20 PM
shit! i've stirred it up again. i've harldy ever spoken to the guy, as he's quite rudely blanked me on several occassions though he has no idea who i am (that is not me going 'ooh i'm important me!!', it was before during and after distribution days) he's offended quite a few of my friends with similair blanking techniques which reeked of 'i'm the dj' kinda thing. but at the end of the day i am quite happy to accept that he's there, he's done what he's done to get there. i dont DISLIKE anybody, not enough life left to arse around with that kind of emotion, but sometimes the overwhelming praise from earnest fans of techno makes me want to point out the things that i have. bless everyone for digging him, bless him for having his label and being atomic resident, but there are many folks who are being overlooked while others get to horse-gallop beats in front of 3000 people. hmmm.
would his career have been as prominent if he looked like a bus had hit him? thats probably a whole new topic 'does it matter what you look like in techno?', but we'll get to that later :-)

ps for the chap who suggested it, i am emphatically not jealous of him, just to clarify. peace.

The Overfiend
25-03-2004, 03:20 PM
I say let the man live, there are plenty of other people in techno who need a good character assasination and I don't find Ade to be one of them. There's plenty. PLENTY of real assholes in this genre to be flushed out of the system.

death on a stick
25-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Agreed. Would you like to start a thread about them?

Clarkus
25-03-2004, 03:39 PM

Maybe you should change your name to "I F*cking hate you all" on a stick. :lol:

.......only jesting by the way before 'somebody' starts a we hate clarkus thread. ;)

death on a stick
25-03-2004, 03:58 PM
bonjour, bonjour. Mine's a Pernod and cherryade.

eyes without a face
25-03-2004, 04:04 PM
:roll:

Ritzi Lee
25-03-2004, 04:26 PM
I know Ade personally for 3 years now.
I can tell you one thing.
He's real!

F*ck criticism.
He urns respect because he's not only thinking about himself.
If the music is good he also suports the smaller acts.
And that's what the technoscene needs.
Aight!

ncw
25-03-2004, 04:42 PM
He's real!

Classic. It took you 3 years to work that out?

death on a stick
25-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Well I'm glad we've finally got that settled. Thanks for the info!!

eyes without a face
25-03-2004, 05:03 PM
i know Ade well and i can back Ritzi up. He is a seriously down to earth bloke, always up for a laugh and a very supportive guy too.

Ease off chaps, all this negativity is not needed!

ncw
25-03-2004, 05:06 PM
No real negativaty here, was laughing at the "he's REAL" comment.

I personally have no time for A F's music or DJing, but I'm not interested in arguing about it. Each to their own.

Ritzi Lee
25-03-2004, 05:13 PM
He's real!

Classic. It took you 3 years to work that out?

no you silly.
its because of this topic.. :roll:

DJPAUZE
25-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Heres what I have to say about Ade Fenton.

-Love his tracks-think he has had some great ones out there
-Mixing-Never seen him

Overall thoughts, hes done a great deal for techno.
SO BE IT!

I think we should all stir away from negative points about artists, arguing on here gets us nowhere.

Peace
Pauze :twisted:

Tony
25-03-2004, 11:30 PM
agreed, and feel responsible cos its my thread that was the first to turn. i am not at will to inhibit any human from doing their thing. peace to all ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

The Overfiend
26-03-2004, 01:59 AM

You go shoot yourself in the foot champ. I'll be right behind you :roll:
:lol:

ampassasinbirmingham
29-03-2004, 04:42 PM
I felt he didnt play the part of zorro's son very well in the re-vamped movie

http://pages.infinit.net/souvenir/zorro.jpg

Louis Theroux
29-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Absolutely brilliant nite mate, you should have come. Really good turn out. Lots of Fenton fans and alot of new fenton fans after his set. :dance:

We've had a few probs with the venue past couple of nites but thats all been sorted now.

What exactly was it that put u off coming ???? The venue wasn't a problem for anybody else mate!! :eh:

Just getting a chance to catch up on posts.

Were the people who attended there to see Ade Fenton or were they there because it was Archaos.

Were there a lot of the shirt & shoe crew that this club attracts?

Tiddlypeep
29-03-2004, 11:01 PM

Just getting a chance to catch up on posts.

Were the people who attended there to see Ade Fenton or were they there because it was Archaos.

Were there a lot of the shirt & shoe crew that this club attracts?

not at all mate. This is not in Archoas nightclub it is in Yang which is totally seperate from Archaos.

Hope that cleared things up :)

Tiddlypeep
29-03-2004, 11:02 PM
sorry that should read The Vault and Yang!.

Will :)

Louis Theroux
29-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Sorry I thought it was in Archaos. Might go this Friday then, is it not Brian Zentz & Trevor Rockliffe.

Don't have to wear a suit/shirt do I??

Clarkus
30-03-2004, 01:13 AM
Sorry I thought it was in Archaos. Might go this Friday then, is it not Brian Zentz & Trevor Rockliffe.

Don't have to wear a suit/shirt do I??

No shirt needed, just your skipped burbery hat and your sovie rings ;)

Thats a different gig......and in another part of the archaos complex. The round pink room (Betty's). I think theres other rooms open aswell.
We hold our nights on the third sat of every month.

278d7e64a374de26f==