PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard Drivers.

MARKEG
23-03-2004, 01:53 PM
Right I've never really understood this 100% but I definitely need to get my head around it all. Can anyone explain this to me?

I've just done a clean install of XP and i know that now the chipset drivers off the motherboard CD need to be installed.

1) What the hell are chipset drivers and why do they need to be installed exactly?

on the cd that's come with my p4p800 deluxe motherboard the drivers are listed like this:

a) Intel Chipset Inf Update prog
b) Intel Application Accelerator Driver
c) Via Raid Driver
d) ad1985 Audio Driver
e) USB 2.0 Driver
f) 3 Com Gigabit LOM (3c940) Driver

2) What do a,b,c and e exactly???? I know USB 2 is for the usb 2 card and the audio driver is for the on board sound (which I'll leave off cause i have a soundcard) but what's the rest for and why do I need them?

3) Which ones do i need the most recent versions of and how do I get them for the p4p800 deluxe? does anyone know direct links to all this?

phew. sorry to ask all this but i really need to understand it so my computer runs good. i really don't want another 2 years of hell like on my last pc :cry:

WEZ
23-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Mark add the chap im PMing you , he is a wealth of knowledge about all that kind of stuff ! ;)

FILTERZ
23-03-2004, 02:29 PM
I know the raid controller is for accessing multiple hard drives and you can set it to automatically back up one drive to another, useful for businesses and such who do not want to lose data in case of a drive crash.

wenna
23-03-2004, 03:21 PM
isnt the usb for external harddrives etc..????

Ashley
23-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Think IQ might be able to help u out ;)
Im sure he knows his stuff.

SarahPvc
23-03-2004, 05:09 PM
If you are in Leeds i can soon call round & sort it for you
Its what i do for a living

WEZ
23-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Id stick my 3 1/2 floppy in her A : (!) drive !

DJ IKON
23-03-2004, 05:28 PM

Ha Ha! You dont miss a trick do you?

SarahPvc
23-03-2004, 05:47 PM

Ha Ha! You dont miss a trick do you?

Meaning?

duncandisorderly
23-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Right I've never really understood this 100% but I definitely need to get my head around it all. Can anyone explain this to me?

I've just done a clean install of XP and i know that now the chipset drivers off the motherboard CD need to be installed.

1) What the hell are chipset drivers and why do they need to be installed exactly?

on the cd that's come with my p4p800 deluxe motherboard the drivers are listed like this:

a) Intel Chipset Inf Update prog
b) Intel Application Accelerator Driver
c) Via Raid Driver
d) ad1985 Audio Driver
e) USB 2.0 Driver
f) 3 Com Gigabit LOM (3c940) Driver

2) What do a,b,c and e exactly???? I know USB 2 is for the usb 2 card and the audio driver is for the on board sound (which I'll leave off cause i have a soundcard) but what's the rest for and why do I need them?

3) Which ones do i need the most recent versions of and how do I get them for the p4p800 deluxe? does anyone know direct links to all this?

phew. sorry to ask all this but i really need to understand it so my computer runs good. i really don't want another 2 years of hell like on my last pc :cry:

a is a set of drivers for the specific chipset on your mother board for it to interface with your software (same as a sound card driver, the chips are manufactured by all sorts of manufacturers and you have to have drivers to make em run proper).

b no idea ????

c raid is a system that uses 5 or 6 hard drives and by spreading the data equally over the drives uses them like one drive. when any one drive fails you just hot swap the drive and the system can tell what was on the old drive and automatically rebuilds the lost data (uses a system similar to binary in its most basic form). good system but you need to have 5 or 6 drives of the same spec and then spares for if it actually fails and needs to be replaced.

and e like you say is just to get your usb2 device running.

hope this helps some.

duncan

SarahPvc
23-03-2004, 11:10 PM
The Intel Application Accelerator is a software package that replaces the ATA drivers that come with Windows with drivers optimized for desktop PCs using select Intel chipsets. It is not a requirement for your operating system to work properly.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/IAA/

Ashley
25-03-2004, 11:19 PM

:lol: :lol:

The Divide
26-03-2004, 09:59 AM

:lol: :lol:

Wezley bigwood doesnt live upto him name :lol:

He should be called Wezley Floppymagoot

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Ok ime off :lol:

Good luck on the pc Mark ;)

The Divide
26-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Btw, I have atually installed my drivers for the onboard sound on my pc (which is your ad1985 Audio Driver I think). This is so I can run an extra channel into the tape input on my mixer and open up soundforge/media player while SX is running without using a channel on the desk.

WEZ
26-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Better than FernnyBibbleDribbleWilly !

not buying yer tunes now , prick :lol:

The Divide
26-03-2004, 01:15 PM
:lol: :lol: :doh: :doh:

278d7e64a374de26f==