PDA

View Full Version : Junos bass sounds

Jutt
27-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Any tips for getting some killer bass sounds on a Juno.

Thanks!! :clap:

dan the acid man
28-03-2004, 12:51 AM
try putting this post in the techno prodution forum, you will get more of a response mate, ive never used a juno, ive only used samples of them so i cant help you out here.

Jutt
28-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks dude :clap:

mux
02-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Depends on teh Juno, really. :)

There's a bunch of easy tips - for one, the Juno's "chorus" really shines - especially the '60. The effect only really comes across if you connect the synth using BOTH the outputs, ie, stereo - pan the channels hard left and right, the chorus really gives depth to the sound. Watch out if you're pressing to vinyl, 'cause they don't like stereo bass, something about vibrating the cutter heads in a bad way. On a Juno-106, you can actually get three different 'chorus' settings, if you push the two buttons at the same time you can get them both on. Tricky, but works.

Again with a Juno-60 - super-secret trick!! Put the arpeggiator into "up" and "1", then hold down the "key transpose" button when powering on. This puts it into a monophonic test/debug mode - you can't use the arpeggiator with it, which kinda sucks - but for single bass hits, having all six oscillators at once on a single not... *JESUS* that's some thick bass!

I am personally a fan of punchy dancy sub-bass - this is really easy to get on a juno. Turn down all modulation, pitch the board down to 32', up the sub-oscillator, use the envelope on the filter in lowpass mode and set the env to something like A=0 D=3 S=4 R=0. Use the filter cutoff to drop it down to just above audible, and play with the envelope decay and sustain until you get a nice punch to the sound. For more in-your-face bass, add the other oscillator waveforms.

Dunno, man - the real reason Junos are so popular is that... ok, the REAL reason is 'cause they're so cheap and still sound good, but the other is that they're such hands-on beasts! **** the presets - put the synth in "manual" mode and play with the sliders until you find what you're looking for. Hours spent stoned under headphones exploring the Juno sliders are NOT hours wasted...

Jutt
02-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Thanks for ya in depth comments dude :clap: :clap:

Its the Alpha Juno 1, man getting some dirty bass sounds at the minute

mux
02-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Ahhh. The Alpha Juno-2 was my first synth ever, I know that one through and through. :)

If you don't already have one, and IF you can find one (they're pretty rare), I *highly* recommend picking up a Roland PG-300 for your Alpha Juno. The PG-300 is just a box of knobs and switches tailored to the Alpha Juno 1, 2 and MKS-50... turns that stupid Alpha-Dial(tm) into a truly hands-on experience. Patches flow out like water, instead of wrestling with them.

IMOH, the Alpha Junos really shine when you use them for leads, not basses. They'll do a really, really sweet sub-bass, but with all that PWM, they do so insanely huge leads. The "hoover" sound is from the Alpha Juno-1.

Do you know the "Joey Beltram Trick"? Take your Alpha Juno manual and figure out how to write to the "chord memory"... I forget how offhand, think it's hold down chord memory, hit the "write" button, play a chord, then either just let go of the chord or maybe hit 'chord memory' again... The 'Joey Beltram Trick' is to hit two octaves of C *below* middle C with your left hand, two octaves of C *above* middle C with your right hand, and middle C with your nose... poof, a five-oscillator, five-octave monophonic chord! *SERIOUSLY* thick sound! Try it with a hoover patch... not certain if there's enough keys on the Alpha Juno-1 to do all five tho, there was an extra octave of keys on the Alpha Juno-2... plus aftertouch. :)

The Divide
14-04-2004, 11:12 PM
Ahhh. The Alpha Juno-2 was my first synth ever, I know that one through and through. :)

If you don't already have one, and IF you can find one (they're pretty rare), I *highly* recommend picking up a Roland PG-300 for your Alpha Juno. The PG-300 is just a box of knobs and switches tailored to the Alpha Juno 1, 2 and MKS-50... turns that stupid Alpha-Dial(tm) into a truly hands-on experience. Patches flow out like water, instead of wrestling with them.

IMOH, the Alpha Junos really shine when you use them for leads, not basses. They'll do a really, really sweet sub-bass, but with all that PWM, they do so insanely huge leads. The "hoover" sound is from the Alpha Juno-1.

Do you know the "Joey Beltram Trick"? Take your Alpha Juno manual and figure out how to write to the "chord memory"... I forget how offhand, think it's hold down chord memory, hit the "write" button, play a chord, then either just let go of the chord or maybe hit 'chord memory' again... The 'Joey Beltram Trick' is to hit two octaves of C *below* middle C with your left hand, two octaves of C *above* middle C with your right hand, and middle C with your nose... poof, a five-oscillator, five-octave monophonic chord! *SERIOUSLY* thick sound! Try it with a hoover patch... not certain if there's enough keys on the Alpha Juno-1 to do all five tho, there was an extra octave of keys on the Alpha Juno-2... plus aftertouch. :)

Holly mamma! I will have a good read of this when I dont have to get up for work in 5 hours. I have a Ju-1 alpha and that looks very usefull. Thanks!! a five-oscillator, five-octave monophonic chord! :shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :rambo: Bring it on!!

dirty_bass
15-04-2004, 03:59 AM
I have a 106, and they are fab for bass.
I love my 106
If my girlie ever leaves me I know that June will always be with me, ahhh
June my love :love:

errr
ahem.

dan the acid man
17-04-2004, 12:31 PM
I have a 106, and they are fab for bass.
I love my 106
If my girlie ever leaves me I know that June will always be with me, ahhh
June my love :love:

errr
ahem.

i think a 106 will be the first synth i buy, if i ever decide to get serious anyway

J Swift
14-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Hold down Poly 1 & Poly 2 to get Unison on the Juno 106

Great synth... Also, if you can deal with software editing... The Oberheim Matrix-1000 is a real steal at the moment.

It's the same setup as the Juno - DCO's (actually it's dual DCO's, so more like a Jupiter 6) - But it's got much more in depth routing/modulation/fm and all sorts of other things... The software editor spans 3 pages of parameters, but most of them (bar envelopes) are on the one page.

Juno's still the hands on king though.

278d7e64a374de26f==