PDA

View Full Version : quick live-pa acid track

mux
01-04-2004, 12:11 AM
Holas,

Just heard about this forum. Looks awesome!

I'm seeking feedback on this little cut from my liveset a month ago in Vancouver, Canada - crowd wasn't huge, as it was a Wednesday night at midnight, but the 50 or so that were there were very supportive.

http://lfo.fsck.org/~drew/mux_-_collaborate_-_live_at_Sparky_20040225.mp3

The track is called "Collaborate", and has a few notable uncleared samples, so it's not suitable for anything other than live use - but I think it's pretty good. Composition wise, I think I need to return to the original theme and make the second half more of a bridge, but who knows - this is just how it flowed out this time. :)

Gear used: er - instead of a list, try this instead (http://mux.ca/images/live_rig_-_20040225.jpg). :) No laptop, anyway.

Recording was done on both a Sony stereo mic high up in the room into a minidisc recorder, and off the mixer into a DAT recorder. Mixed together quickly in Logic and released.

Thoughts? My plan this year is to stop focusing so much on the live-PA side of things, get my nose against the grindstone and make some releasable tracks - any recommendations on labels to send my stuff to? My friend says I've missed the boat by about three years. :/

dan the acid man
01-04-2004, 07:37 PM
love the acid line but i found the high pitched noises a little distracting

mux
02-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Ahh, ok - those noises are actually two samples - Ghandi from Clone High, saying "G-Spot rocks the g-spot!", and some scream taken from a friend's DJ scratch battle record. :) Agreed, they need to be EQ'd and toned down a bit - I think a lot of the harshness comes from the stereo mic in the room it was recorded in... I have a minidisc problem, where if I use *my* minidisc recorder, it does this great auto-compression thing that makes the recording pump and breath with the bass, but unfortunately, for some reason the recording skips... if I borrow my friend's older minidisc recorder, it doesn't skip, but it doesn't have teh auto-compression thing either, so when the SPL gets too high, it distorts. This recording was using his minidisc recorder, so the distortion may be adding to the in-your-faceness of the high end.

Thanks for your comments! Constructive critiques are always appreciated, the blunter the better!

278d7e64a374de26f==