PDA

View Full Version : primate

MangaFish
03-04-2004, 01:34 AM
i read somewhere else that you lot hate primate?

why ever would you want to do that? :shock:

The Overfiend
03-04-2004, 02:18 AM
Don't generalize a forum filled with so many different people.
Different outlooks and inputs for everyone.

MangaFish
03-04-2004, 02:20 AM
only replying to what i read mate - i can make genralisations on a baord i've only known half hour

The Overfiend
03-04-2004, 02:22 AM
Dammit you can't! :lol:

MangaFish
03-04-2004, 02:22 AM
PS: I know we all hate Primate hehe
(taken from the 'hertz' thread)

...was the exact quote

looks like he most have been joking tho so i'll shut up :doh:

SlavikSvensk
03-04-2004, 02:51 AM
uh...i never liked primate, but some primieval records were good...

MangaFish
03-04-2004, 02:55 AM
i've not heard many techno labels that consistantly prodcuer records that i like. i wouldnt class primate as one of them. but you have to give them credit if just for: ben sims - manipulated (adem beyer remix)

thats possibly the one techno tune i've lusted over the most :love:

tekboi
03-04-2004, 03:22 AM
Primate have had some ordinary releases but the new Hertz in my opinion is so great, not even for a second did it pass my ear.

MangaFish
03-04-2004, 06:13 AM
is there many people on here who follow the more purist anal side of techno?

i love my harder stuff as much as u guys, but i also love the stuff that seems to be a neich and has a smaller cliqueyer gathering (u'll have to excuse my spelling)

drift9
03-04-2004, 07:31 AM
I guess that a lot of the dislike of Primate on this board comes from the fact that the label just spewed out so much material--most of it below average--in the name of making a buck. Just pumping out fodder with only a few worthy records in between.

However, I’m guilty as charged at liking some of them. To this day I still love Joel Mull’s “Inter Primate Express” remix as one of my all time favorites and also rather enjoyed the recent Endangered Species album of German artists. And of course the Beyer “Manipulated” remix is golden.

I don’t know, I guess it comes down to forgiving the label for flooding the market with a bunch of below average records vs. applauding them the occasional good that they’ve done.

duncandisorderly
03-04-2004, 12:29 PM
i really rate primate for all the good work that they did/do ... they have released a few stinkers but on the whole i think their releases were good and well aimed otherwise they wouldn't have released them ...

TripleX
03-04-2004, 02:17 PM
there´s only one i like, cristian varela "gernerator feelings"ep

MangaFish
03-04-2004, 02:19 PM
u guys didnt like picottos ep on there then?

i think the title track (track c) was a stomper. just started playing it again:D

Louk
03-04-2004, 02:48 PM
loved picottos ep

codebreaker was my favourite but new time new place was also very good

Louk

The Overfiend
03-04-2004, 03:11 PM
I'm not to sure how happy I am about another Primate thread being started. I understand you are new here. But certain topics have been dragged thru the mud. Every label with that many releases are going to have a few stinkies in the batch, but no one on this forum can front on the fact that Primate has released a slew of artists and given them their time to shine. To bring up a new topic reiterating that people around here may dislike primate I find to be a bit instagative.

MangaFish
03-04-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm not to sure how happy I am about another Primate thread being started. I understand you are new here. But certain topics have been dragged thru the mud. Every label with that many releases are going to have a few stinkies in the batch, but no one on this forum can front on the fact that Primate has released a slew of artists and given them their time to shine. To bring up a new topic reiterating that people around here may dislike primate I find to be a bit instagative.

how?

i'm new - didnt see an old thread and read a genralisation in another thread. rather than taking that thread off topic i started a new one politely asking if it was a genralisation or if there was some truth behind the comment.

SlavikSvensk
03-04-2004, 08:33 PM
hey...we're all being polite here! no insulting going on...

anyways, glad to see this thread is unlocked again...

...i want to add how much i used to like primate sister-label primieval. the two puente latino releases were awesome, as is "själ i köket" by joel mull.

MangaFish
03-04-2004, 08:36 PM
hey...we're all being polite here! no insulting going on...

i know you are - i'm greaful :)

music is a very personal passionate thing and to chat with people about it in an adult way is a refreshing change to some of the baords i've been on in the past

MangaFish
03-04-2004, 08:38 PM
btw - if i sound argumentative i dont meen to be. i'm not challenging your opionion or trying to change your minds.

i just like to express an alternative opinion and hear your thoughts on it - i am genuinly a nice guy, honnest :)

plus when ur new the easyest and quickest way to get to know people is to ask them why that have that opinion ;)

disco diva
03-04-2004, 09:05 PM
in an adult way is a refreshing change to some of the baords i've been on in the past

Oi, hope your not referring to the board we share??? & guys this statement *btw - if i sound argumentative i dont meen to be. i'm not challenging your opionion or trying to change your minds.

i just like to express an alternative opinion and hear your thoughts on it - i am genuinly a nice guy, honnest * is true, Manga fish, genuinely is a top lad, but has a very unique way of forwarding his opinions :lol: ;)

MangaFish
03-04-2004, 09:11 PM
hahaha - a very unique way.

i'm the kinda guy that can offend people when trying to pay a compliment :oops:

good to see you about diva - are you gonna come to see dave clark with me and tommy on the 1st of may?

SlavikSvensk
03-04-2004, 09:26 PM
as the east coast/west coast rap all-stars once said, "we're all in the same gang." ;)

anyways, back to primate...

...i think the label was meant to be prime's most mainstream...maybe to be used as a portal for techno newbies into more challenging stuff. as people have said, there are some good primate releases...but i think the unifying aspect is that all the releases were supposed to be accessible. i have a friend who spins trance...a very talented dj, though i don't really dig the stuff he spins. so i have been trying to get him more interested in techno, and one of the ways i've done that is to give him a couple of my old primate records, as well as some countdown 2000 and tronic. stuff that isn't bad, but i won't ever realistically get nostalgic for. he likes them...so it seems to be working...

disco diva
04-04-2004, 12:33 AM
hahaha - a very unique way.

i'm the kinda guy that can offend people when trying to pay a compliment :oops:

good to see you about diva - are you gonna come to see dave clark with me and tommy on the 1st of may?

pm me more details hon ;)

jonnyspeed
04-04-2004, 12:53 AM
and added to that :) the first rule of blackout audio is?

...talk about stuff you like and even specific tracks you don't like.

And more the point - welcome to BOA! hope you like it here :lol:

andy james
04-04-2004, 03:20 AM
there´s only one i like, cristian varela "gernerator feelings"ep

this one always stays in my box...the breakdowns are killer on all 4 tracks and they all have a nice hard tribal sound :twisted: !!!

dirty_bass
04-04-2004, 03:39 AM
Man, some of the old coloured 10 inches were classics.
Varela: Paranoiac EP
Onervas: Fugitive EP, I wore that one out.
Gillespie: Turntablism EP

Primate used to do some good solid dancefloor material, and yeah they overdid it, and rinsed out all the talent, but they still release some quality tunes.

killarava2day
04-04-2004, 03:41 AM
It would be hypocritical for me to bag Primate, considering I own the bulk of their releases. Their earlier stuff was ok, for their time of course, play back some of them now though and you can instantly tell that they're a few years old, eight years now I think.

Bailey released some corkers, Henrik, Leibing, Gaetek, Kramer the same. Some real gems to be had I reckon.

Dustin Zahn
04-04-2004, 11:00 AM
They've released some solid ones, they've released some shit ones...end of story.

I prefer Primevil over Primate though.

herman
04-04-2004, 12:45 PM
yeah that new primevil release is quality ;)

The Overfiend
04-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Instead of harping on the bad focus on the good.
I liked cards on the table and the burkat green ten incher as well.

Clarkus
04-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Instead of harping on the bad focus on the good.
I liked cards on the table and the burkat green ten incher as well.

Agreed, cards on the table is a quality track. :clap:

Numeric
05-04-2004, 10:24 AM
There were a few quality Primate releases last year that i got hold of. The Andreas Kauffelt one with Noisechamber on the flip was alright, the Mark Williams tribal four tracker was good, and Codebreaker on the Picotto EP was nice...

I picked up Funky Monkeys Vol.3 on Primate Endangered Species last week, quality release, feelin Burkat's contribution the most, with Klien second...

And yeah, Beyers remix of Manipulated is a classic that cannot be denied, coincidently, i scored a fresh re-press copy of this at the weekend, awesome...

:clap:

Paul Zykotik
05-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Primate does seem to come in for a bit of a slating at times, though I think this was mainly back last year when it was the kind of stuff a lot of hard house heads were getting into, and techno lovers saw this as a potential watering down of their music.

It has been hit and miss, but I think that's the same with a lot of labels.

For the record (no pun intended...) my favourite was Roewknooler by Henrik B (Lord Of Brightness EP I think). That had a GROOVE :dance:

Tony
05-04-2004, 12:12 PM
i followed primate when i first started djing, i'm not going to jump in and slate the label, but there where only a few shining records for me. prob keep about 4 records.
anyone else wanna buy some of the other bits from the back cat??

Stuart
05-04-2004, 12:15 PM
i've not heard many techno labels that consistantly prodcuer records that i like. i wouldnt class primate as one of them. but you have to give them credit if just for: ben sims - manipulated (adem beyer remix)

thats possibly the one techno tune i've lusted over the most :love:

Thats coz its Adam Beyer. checkout his stuff with Heinrik B. Not because it's Ben sims. I don't like the ben sims version.

Numeric
05-04-2004, 12:57 PM
Thats coz its Adam Beyer. checkout his stuff with Heinrik B. Not because it's Ben sims. I don't like the ben sims version.

Granted, Beyer's mix of Manipulated is the only mix, full stop!!

The Overfiend
05-04-2004, 02:07 PM
the Ben Sims version was uber percussive and the Joel Mull Version was the first time I heard Mull just relax and let the track straight Jack!

Tony
05-04-2004, 02:08 PM
primevil01 - cristian vogel, yeah baby!!! they didnt do many more like this. shame!

schlongfingers
05-04-2004, 02:24 PM
primevil01 - cristian vogel, yeah baby!!! they didnt do many more like this. shame!

:love: :twisted: wicked track

Stuart
05-04-2004, 02:25 PM

And i still haven't managed to get a copy of 'don't take more'

278d7e64a374de26f==