PDA

View Full Version : please help! Need advice on a drum machine!

tekara
03-04-2004, 07:27 AM
hey guys,

planning to buy a drum machine this week of some sort, and would appreciate some honest opinions on which one i should buy. I basically have come down to these three decisions:

1) NI-Battery (software)
2) Elektron Machine Drum (hardware)
3) TR-Roland 909 (hardware)

I know everyone would probably recommend me the 909 just based on the fact that it has been acclaimed as one of the most prestigious pieces of vintage gear ever invented for dance production, but theres a few things i would like you to know before i make my final decisions.

Quite honestly, im not extremely good at operating hardware. I have loads and loads of fun using Reason's redrume module. Initially i wanted to keep using it as my main drum machine but since upgrading to Cubase SX, i have had to abandon it cause Rewire is totally messing with me no matter how i configure it.

I've basically decided to either buy another software program like NI-Battery, or try to go the hardware route like getting 909 or machinedrum. What my basic concern is, whether or not getting something like a dedicated hardware machine would be better, or would it be better to get software and just cram it with tons of samples?

As mentioned earlier, im not very good at operating with hardware gear, but you guys think it would be better to stick with what i know?, or to expand my knowledge and get something like a 909. Long term usage is of course my main goal.

Any input would be great, especially from the veterans!

cheers.

StoQ
03-04-2004, 09:29 AM
i can upload battery 4 u m8, you should try it before buying ;)

tekara
03-04-2004, 10:18 AM
hey Stoq,

i think that would be great.

No idea why i didnt think of that.

Private Message?

Larney
03-04-2004, 05:24 PM
What's the problem with rewire? I was having problems with rewiring in Cubase but once the multi-processor option was turned off then Reason and others worked fine.

DJZeMig_L
03-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Eletron gotta b one of the best drum boxes ever but that depends on how did u wanna dig into the machine!

If u don't like hardware all that much then get the battery and get yerself a trully mf soundcard!

Z

g
03-04-2004, 09:55 PM
hey Stoq,

i think that would be great.

No idea why i didnt think of that.

Private Message?
how about you just use the demo instead

mux
04-04-2004, 04:35 PM
MachineDrum eats TR-909. My friend's TR-909 is in Elektron's studio in Sweden, 'cause he made a deal to trade it straight across for a MD. Sweeeeet trade. Elektron truly have their shit together with that machine. They took everything we learned from making any drum machine ever, and put all those features in. Mute groups, for christ's sake. MUTE GROUPS!

Awfully fun interface too.

j_s
04-04-2004, 07:49 PM
I recently bought jomox airbase, because I was tired of being limited by the samples I could find.

Samplers are as good as what you put into them, which can work both ways....

SlavikSvensk
04-04-2004, 08:02 PM
rewire problem is probably because you have two copies of rewire.dll in your audio folder. cubase and reason each put one in there, and if there are two, then rewire does not function properly.

check out the demo of the new sonic charge mu-tonic...it's free to try.

FILTERZ
05-04-2004, 09:04 AM
i have both an electron machine drum and a 909 my advice is buy a machine drum , you will get much much much more out of it than you will out of a 909

RichieV
06-04-2004, 02:12 AM
i took a listen to the machine drum demos and it sounds like crap
It sounds about the same level as an electribe
Sonic CHarge sounds way better and it is a vst

Am i missing something ?

SlavikSvensk
06-04-2004, 03:21 AM
i just got sonic charge and am having a lot of fun with it. very distinct sounding, and sounds great when paired with absynth in cubase.

jake
06-04-2004, 04:51 AM
is sonic charge pc only? any links?

SlavikSvensk
06-04-2004, 06:16 AM
mac and pc.

http://www.soniccharge.com/

SlavikSvensk
06-04-2004, 06:17 AM
the website says windows...

...but my computer music disc says "mac and pc"

...go figure...