PDA

View Full Version : what do you people think about.....Carl Max?

dcdn
07-04-2004, 10:27 PM
I think he's a very talented producer, making great tunes, i like the guy. I know hes on this borad as well. I got some of his releases (dunno probably all of them) but the only thing i dont like are the mastering of some of his tracks, has this occured to someone else?
for instance the second track on his bound record, really ****ing nice and hard tune but the mastering wasnt that good so it sound somewhat soft or bad...

dirty_bass
07-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I really dig some of carls stuff.

MARKEG
07-04-2004, 11:39 PM
yeah i like his stuff but i always find the top end a little unexciting.

Dustin Zahn
07-04-2004, 11:50 PM
I really liked his record on Bound. It was repetitive and basic, but it had a really great pounding groove. To me those tracks are ones where if you are walking in the door to the venue and you hear them getting pounded out over the system, you know what the hell is going on...people are gettin down.

Sunil
08-04-2004, 01:50 AM
The first track on his his split 12" with Tuomas Rantenan on Audio Assault rocks, sounds like it has sampled "Sunshine" of all tracks, but by hell does it work. The one on Bound is very good as well...

The Overfiend
08-04-2004, 01:52 AM
Serial Killa is the one.

Craig McW
08-04-2004, 01:56 AM
Anyone else noticed that he has drops that come in off time?

Was playing away at home, layer with 2 other tools, and it has a break down tghat drops back totally off time. At first I though it was me, but after listening through it a few times I found that sure enough, that's how the record goes, and not on just one release, but one a couple (Holzplatten and compound to be specific).

weird

dirty_bass
08-04-2004, 02:00 AM
I love the B2 on compound 26
shocking hardness.

Methodixxx
08-04-2004, 02:41 AM
Yeah.. that compound pisses me right off..... it drops in totally off time! Not even off a bar, but off the beat and everything! :doh: Pointless... I wouldn't dream of playing it out now... I like to mix constantly, not wait for some weird change to happen so I can drop the next track in.... other than that, the tune is good... :eh: hehehe...

Craig McW
08-04-2004, 02:43 AM
Yeah, I never play his stuff out... just in case there's one of those drops I haven't heard at home and it totally ruins the mix.....

I guess I could listen to the records very closely and pick which ones don't have that drop.... but I got so many fricken records it's just easier not to.....

anx
08-04-2004, 05:11 AM
his remix of hydraulix 17 is the best one out of that release. its really good.

he posts here doesnt he?

TRB
08-04-2004, 06:07 AM
Yeah, I never play his stuff out... just in case there's one of those drops I haven't heard at home and it totally ruins the mix.....

I guess I could listen to the records very closely and pick which ones don't have that drop.... but I got so many fricken records it's just easier not to.....

I think like u.

I hope in the future have nice tracks and without drops.

killarava2day
08-04-2004, 08:24 AM
I thought the Audio Assault EP was his better works.

Si the Sigh
08-04-2004, 09:05 AM
his remix of hydraulix 17 is the best one out of that release. its really good.

he posts here doesnt he?

Still not heard this yet. Really looking forward to checking it out though!

Numeric
08-04-2004, 09:26 AM
I've got a few of his releases...

And have to agree about some of the mastering...

And the irritating drop offs...

:doh:

dtl
08-04-2004, 10:54 AM
I am sure had he been a master Dj he wouldnt have made tunes with off time drops... :roll:

Dont think he'd be sitting in his room going "hehehe, you fool, listen to the whole tune or else...hehehe" tho.

haha.

Eric.

Tiptoe
08-04-2004, 11:36 AM
funnily enough i was going to post a thread about tunes that drop out of place and generally aren't good to mix. I does your head in doesn't it. It tends to be the harder tunes as well and like you guys there are some tunes i dare not play out but would love to.

The Overfiend
08-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Well if his tunes drop off time don't you think he isn't trying to be formulaic?

killarava2day
08-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Well if his tunes drop off time don't you think he isn't trying to be formulaic?

hmmm, food for thought on that one...

dtl
08-04-2004, 02:11 PM

I have to disagree, you can have tunes that arent not formulated like other tunes... Like using a different riff, miss a beat here and there and chuck in samples at most unexpected places, while still keep the whole track in phrases as techno djs tend mix quick and it's annoying to have to wait for certain part to go by for the mix to flow, or... Miss the breakdown and some juicy bits in latter stage.

Eric.

dirty_bass
08-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Ueah, th`ts the thing, I love the a-side on the compound release, but don`t play it cos of the weird drop in/out. I heard it at home, but didn`t notice it was off beat. Then played it out and it caught me. Twice. I thought the record was skipping and stuff. So I just flipped it, made a visual apology to the punters, and mixed in the B2. I haven`t mixed it again since.
Still a good tune though

loko
08-04-2004, 03:04 PM
ogi vs carl maxm, 2fast4you his remix of brisk on holzplatten is excellent!good drive to it imo!how ironic that i was listening to him and i just say this message! :lol:

Buttman
08-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Iz da bomb!

meri
08-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Just got "Keep It Real" E.P. by Carl Max (Bound 9).

Good stuff

zap
08-04-2004, 04:50 PM
have 2 say i love his stuff but have 2 agree with mark it is sometimes lacking in da higher regions otherwise the man is da bomb :clap: :clap:

karlo
08-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Yo people..thanks for every comments..

Yes, sorry for some off beat sections, it was my fault...but sometimes when its doing mastering or cutting the track to be shorter its happend this

for example: lars klein remix on my release for bound 005...its happend, now, in all my future releases im looking to cancel then, and i hope that i success in last few releases :cool:

Some cool stuff will be out before summer, so watch out...

miromiric.
08-04-2004, 05:41 PM

:lol:

The Overfiend
08-04-2004, 06:27 PM

:lol:

Choke on a ballsack Luk. :lol:

el_satan666
16-04-2004, 11:20 AM
im glad the drop is a recognized problem, thought i was losing what little beat-matching skills i have!

very nice track, and the hardsignal live set that Mr. Max has done really marks a milestone in the usual hardsignal bangit-thrashit vein. Really nice driving techno set. That make sense?

Carl Max, I tip my hat to you!

dan the acid man
16-04-2004, 03:12 PM
a producer to look our for in the future :cool:

loving the hydraulix 17 remix :dance:

karlo
16-04-2004, 07:06 PM
a producer to look our for in the future :cool:

loving the hydraulix 17 remix :dance:

seems simple without many breaks, hithats, bla bla...but its minded! :oops: hehehe :cool:

acid-project
16-04-2004, 08:02 PM
hes quite a decent dj, if his last hardsignal mix is anything to go by,
full of good stuff chilled n sleazy without being boring !

Adverse
18-04-2004, 05:17 PM

whatever to this. sorry man i can't believe that.

dirty_bass
18-04-2004, 10:25 PM
formulaic or not, he makes some good tunes.
I`m kinda fed up with some of the snobbery in techno at the mo.
The way some techno hedz are going, they would only be happy if current releases of techno consisted of totally irregular beats programmed on a very rare homemade drum machine by a epilectic bush baby, blended with the distorted noise of a 15 year old eskimo girl urinating on a particular type of terracotta tile in an alleyway in guatamala, with the lovely melodious and unlistenable sounds of a ping pong ball being cut with scissors run through reverb the size of the grand canyon.
Yawn

Patrick DSP
18-04-2004, 10:29 PM
The way some techno hedz are going, they would only be happy if current releases of techno consisted of totally irregular beats programmed on a very rare homemade drum machine by a epilectic bush baby, blended with the distorted noise of a 15 year old eskimo girl urinating on a particular type of terracotta tile in an alleyway in guatamala, with the lovely melodious and unlistenable sounds of a ping pong ball being cut with scissors run through reverb the size of the grand canyon.
Yawn

sounds like Detroit techno/tech-house. you sure you've never been to Toronto??

dan the acid man
18-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Yawn

very, very well said

el_satan666
19-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Yawn

i like it, you're hired! :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==