PDA

View Full Version : Mastering...

Numeric
08-04-2004, 11:09 AM
I can't believe the amount of bad mastering that seems to be everywhere these days, spoiling otherwise decent tracks...

What the f**k is going on?

ncw
08-04-2004, 11:23 AM
give examples.

Numeric
08-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Lifeform springs to mind...

:doh:

MangaFish
08-04-2004, 11:48 AM
personally i think half the problem is people like me.
we have good ideas but not a clue how to prodcuer and what ends up are great concept tracks but poorly made

i guess thats the price thats paid for production technology becomming affordable (ie digital studios)

ncw
08-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Could be down to many things - quality of vinyl, quality of production, not just the cutting engineer.
There is a learning curve as a producer putting stuff on to vinyl, I guess you learn subconciously what sounds good on your medium, and how to get the most out of it. Anyway, whilst bad cuts are frustrating, good music will always come through it. Look at old Mills stuff, or anything from Chicago pre 1995.

gunjack
08-04-2004, 02:59 PM
curve pusher, can you hear me? the b2 track on reverse 02.... is this a joke? you obviously didnt listen to the thing before you pressed it.
you are using a preset, no? Do me a favor please and LISTEN TO THE RECORD FIRST NEXT TIME.

ncw
08-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Haven't had any problems with Curvepusher, except for a recent mispress (due to track lengths more than anything). Sounded good, if I do say so myself.... ;)

crime
08-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Attend the cut...
Don't ok the TPs if you're not happy with them

It's good to get stuff cut with people you can work with, I always get Ash to cut my stuff at curved, as we work well together, and I can get him to do it exactly how I want it..

This is why you're always going to be better off running a label yourself, funding it yourself and overseeing eveything at every stage...

You can't really blame curved if you didn't have anyone attend the cut..
they don't know how a record is supposed to sound, only the producer will truely know...

ncw
08-04-2004, 03:25 PM
It's good to get stuff cut with people you can work with, I always get Ash to cut my stuff at curved, as we work well together, and I can get him to do it exactly how I want it..

Yeah, Ash is good.

The Overfiend
08-04-2004, 03:56 PM
:study: Taking Notes......

death on a stick
08-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Is this thread about cutting tracks before pressing, or about mastering tracks at the recording stage?

A cutting engineer only has so much to work with. Attend the cut if you can or otherwise be specific in the instructions and let them know what you want. Before it gets to that stage, make sure the track sounds right in the first place. Do this BEFORE you record it. Changing things afterwards is far harder. Don't bother with buying some expensive mastering gear, just learn how to use EQ and set levels, it's easy and can be done on budget gear.

gunjack
08-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Attend the cut...
Don't ok the TPs if you're not happy with them

This is why you're always going to be better off running a label yourself, funding it yourself and overseeing eveything at every stage...

You can't really blame curved if you didn't have anyone attend the cut..
they don't know how a record is supposed to sound, only the producer will truely know...

I NEVER APPROVED THE CUT. I never approved the testers i recieved and the "somehow" got cut. and the distorted highs are so obvious in the breakdowns on b2 it is retarded.

also, thanks for recycling the last 100 or so copies of gjs01 a week before we were set to ship. really nice of you!

death on a stick
08-04-2004, 04:43 PM
I can't believe the amount of bad mastering that seems to be everywhere these days, spoiling otherwise decent tracks...

And in answer to this question, it's probably got a lot to do with the number of people knocking out tracks after downloading some cracked software, 3 months after doing pills at their first party. No knowledge, no respect, no talent, just wanting to get their name on a record. People are releasing music before they have matured through their own experience and practice.

gunjack
08-04-2004, 04:51 PM
the "somehow" got cut.

that should read:

THEY "somehow" got cut.

Ritzi Lee
08-04-2004, 07:01 PM

Yeah, Ash is good.

You mean at Curved Pressings??

ncw
08-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Curvepusher, yeah.

Numeric
08-04-2004, 08:47 PM

And in answer to this question, it's probably got a lot to do with the number of people knocking out tracks after downloading some cracked software, 3 months after doing pills at their first party. No knowledge, no respect, no talent, just wanting to get their name on a record. People are releasing music before they have matured through their own experience and practice.

Nah man...

I'm talking about established techno artists and and labels. All the recent Lifeform releases, although sounding like good enough tracks, just don't sound balanced correctly. It's not something that you can sort with the gain controls on the mixer either. It's like you can't even use the records because the sound quality is so poor...

:neutral:

crime
09-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Personally, if stuff is going on to vinyl, do as little mastering as possible, it's much easier for the cutting engineer to sort stuff out that hasn't been overly compressed..

@Deaf Mosaic: sounds like something very wrong is going on between your distributor and curved, there's no way that production can start until TPs are approved..

Ritzi Lee
09-04-2004, 06:58 AM
Curvepusher, yeah.

Ohh curvepusher!
Mt cuts are done by Lawrie. :cool:

278d7e64a374de26f==