PDA

View Full Version : Journey By DJ's ?

Stella Boy
09-04-2004, 12:16 AM
Any views on guest DJ's playing longer sets. I remember when you could see them playing for 3-6 hours and really taking the crowd through the ringer. I for one much prefer playing longer sets as apposed to 1 hour sets, it certainly gives you more scope with your track selection.

Sunil
09-04-2004, 12:30 AM
Any views on guest DJ's playing longer sets. I remember when you could see them playing for 3-6 hours and really taking the crowd through the ringer. I for one much prefer playing longer sets as apposed to 1 hour sets, it certainly gives you more scope with your track selection.

Good topic. Yeah, longer sets are a good thing for everyone.. I think some promoters try to enhance their lineups by sticking loads of people on a bill just to make it look bigger but with so many people playing sometimes it interrupts the flow that the night could take, and it generally results DJs playing as hard as they can before the next guy and then the next guy having no-where to go and then the night getting boring...

The Overfiend
09-04-2004, 03:19 AM
I agree
Longer sets are a true testimonial as to where the dj can take you.
Plus it weeds out the losers from the real deal.
I would much rather have an experience and have something to talk about for days, than a set I could download off the net two days later and say yeah I have those tracks too. Brother Please!

jake
09-04-2004, 05:34 AM
yeah 1 hr sets are gay

Kevin Gorman
09-04-2004, 06:53 AM
yeah 1 hr sets are gay

agree'd

The Overfiend
09-04-2004, 02:28 PM
yeah 1 hr sets are gay
Unless it's a Live Pa then it's different

death on a stick
10-04-2004, 01:45 AM
I've never come across any party where DJs only play one hour sets, and certainly would never consider playing at one.

gunjack
10-04-2004, 12:25 PM
yeah 1 hr sets are gay

fuh u.

eyes without a face
10-04-2004, 01:04 PM
1 hr sets are gay??? what a strange comment

surely an hour to show a crowd what u can do is better than no time at all behind the decks???!!!

long sets are suited to certain djs

Stella Boy
10-04-2004, 01:10 PM
1 hr sets are gay??? what a strange comment

surely an hour to show a crowd what u can do is better than no time at all behind the decks???!!!

long sets are suited to certain djs

I was trying to get my point across with bigger named guest DJ's in mind who, at the end of the day, the paying public go to see at the majority of techno events. It is great to see your mates getting a chance of a gig and 1 hour is perfect for them.

dtl
10-04-2004, 01:19 PM
I've never come across any party where DJs only play one hour sets, and certainly would never consider playing at one.

Been to a squat party?

If you only have one hour or less, it's best to blast out whateva trickery you have in the bag.... It's all about adaptability son.

MangaFish
10-04-2004, 04:05 PM
it can be quite suprising what you can do with one hour tho. but that dont really chage the fact that longer sets usually equal a better clubbing experence (in my opinion of course)

tioneb
10-04-2004, 04:52 PM
well tahts the thing ! the good dj can hold the crowds for as long as they wish (if, of course, he has the amount of records required) ....

then there are the djs who bore you after one hour, whatever the skills they have

Stella Boy
10-04-2004, 05:05 PM
there are the djs who bore you after one hour, whatever the skills they have

That is a true statement but thankfully I haven't heard many long sets which have bored me ( apart from the last time I heard Sven Vaeth play):sleeping:

Francisco Scaramanga
13-04-2004, 02:52 PM
I agree that if you have a quality guest, you want to get them playing as long as possible, as this is most likely the person people are paying money to see, but for residents I reckon its a bit different. If you only have a few to get on, then fair enough, but if you are running the night as more of a collective thing, where lots of people are contributing money, equipment, and time, then you've got to sort them all out if possible, and 1 hour sets are the way to do this. At the nights we put on, even with one hour sets all the people who deserve a go don't always get one, so I say depending on the circumstances short sets are a necessary evil.

T
13-04-2004, 04:22 PM
1 hour or 10 hours, if the music's good and the dj can mix then all's good for me.

278d7e64a374de26f==