PDA

View Full Version : UK Grime... sounds very wonky to me

jonnyspeed
10-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Been introduced to this UK Grime thing by a mate - and me commented on how it was more wonky techno than UK garage.

I kinda like the new Wiley - Wot Do You Cal It? (http://www.juno.co.uk/IP/IF141713-01.htm) mixed up with some Mark Hawkins, Neue Heimat... alot of people I know say its arse but I'm kinda interested - especially if it makes alot more people interest in techno.

what you lot think?

lunatrick
11-04-2004, 01:07 AM
I've heard about this uk grime thing and I'm quite interested - the only good thing about uk garage was the very early stuff that was called speed garage at the time - but it only took about 6 moths to go overground, and then it went sh8t in about 10 minutes and went away from the ruffneck deep underground bass sound that I liked....so if the garage moves more in a wonk style then I'd give it a listen....

MangaFish
11-04-2004, 11:48 AM
i wasnt too keen on the 'Wiley - Wot Do You Cal It?' track you posted. didnt dislike it mind, just wasnt my cuppa tea.

however i am intreaded by this. would deffinately like to hear more stuff of this style before i make my mind up :)

it seems very strange and unique (which is rare nowerdays musically speaking) so in that respect i think it has a lot going for it.

not really sure i resembles techno (in the way i would define it) as that particular track just seems minimal for the sake of it.

jonnyspeed
11-04-2004, 08:19 PM
you get me! There's some pretty representative mixes at rolldeepcrew - click here (http://www.rolldeepcrew.co.uk/mixes.html)

massplanck
12-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Been introduced to this UK Grime thing by a mate - and me commented on how it was more wonky techno than UK garage.

I kinda like the new Wiley - Wot Do You Cal It? (http://www.juno.co.uk/IP/IF141713-01.htm) mixed up with some Mark Hawkins, Neue Heimat... alot of people I know say its arse but I'm kinda interested - especially if it makes alot more people interest in techno.

what you lot think?

I dont like this much at all. :oops:

But do check out any House of Fix stuff you come across. I dunno if you could or would eveb want to label it 'UK Grime' or whatever but sure as hell rocks.

professor
13-04-2004, 06:04 PM
I like it.

jonnyspeed
13-04-2004, 07:29 PM
I'm getting into the instrumental tracks and not the vocals so much - maybe living in east london it just makes me laugh and its even more comical if you turn on the radio - boom shakka blip.. blip... blip... blip.. blip... blip...blip.. blip... blip... ;)

Willy_Wonka
14-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Grime is actually a term coined by Rephlex records as an all encompassing, genre-busting, journo-mashing 'user' friendly (ie dancers - not producers / djs / up their own arse Hoxtonites) term for the many styles that go to make their family of music.

As it goes a bit of Hawkins mixed with some garage beats would fit neatly into their definition, but the fact that you say my mate introduced me to this UK Grime thing, goes someway to indicated that the sharks (ahem I mean Journos) have already got their teeth into and are breaking it down into handy gulp size chunks, ready for force feeding to the zombies...

http://www.rephlex.com/main_index.html

Also an advert to their Grime party this April 23rd with The Bug headlining - gonna be wikked, if ya can pull yer heads outta the techno kickdrum for a few hours...

jonnyspeed
14-04-2004, 07:45 PM
The new Crime apparently has a killer wonky grime/eski/sublow type tune on it - go on show them how its done!

Out of interest there are a few worth picking through off Kazaa - before you go record hunting or if yer just want a Uk flava without the school boy vocals.

Wiley - Igloo (beat remix).mp3
Wiley - Snowcat.mp3
Wiley - Eskimo.mp3
Pingu (full).mp3
Wiley Kat - Eskimo (Brain Dead Remix).mp3
Wiley - Ice Rink (instrumental).mp3
Wiley - Ice Rink 3 (no vocals).mp3
Wiley - Heavy Bass.mp3
Eskimo (Devils Mix).mp3

:clap:

jonnyspeed
14-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Grime is actually a term coined by Rephlex records as an all encompassing, genre-busting, journo-mashing 'user' friendly (ie dancers - not producers / djs / up their own arse Hoxtonites) term for the many styles that go to make their family of music.

As it goes a bit of Hawkins mixed with some garage beats would fit neatly into their definition, but the fact that you say my mate introduced me to this UK Grime thing, goes someway to indicated that the sharks (ahem I mean Journos) have already got their teeth into and are breaking it down into handy gulp size chunks, ready for force feeding to the zombies...

http://www.rephlex.com/main_index.html

Also an advert to their Grime party this April 23rd with The Bug headlining - gonna be wikked, if ya can pull yer heads outta the techno kickdrum for a few hours...

I'm with you. There is a distinct London Garage flava too these tunes - and how I was introduced to it was as Eskibeat I guess I was using 'Grime' cos I didn't want to sound hip or unaccessable.

278d7e64a374de26f==