PDA

View Full Version : demo cover letter

quack
18-02-2003, 09:28 PM
hi, all. I just recently started reading this board and there is a lot of instresting reading here. Anyways my question is what should a cover letter have in it when sending a demo off, some of my friends say they just send cd's without anything and others just a list of the tracks? Is this correct? They do say i should email after I send them off though? can some of you give me a heads up in which direction to go.

eyes without a face
18-02-2003, 10:26 PM
just a tracklisting, and contact details i would think are adequate.

quack
18-02-2003, 10:42 PM
So nothing in the letter like "Hi, I'm ..... " or "This is a demo..."
Just a track listing? If that's it thanks, it makes things easier. I figure all they are really looking for is good music.

MARKEG
18-02-2003, 10:50 PM
i think when someone gives or sends me a demo that i don't know, if it looks like it's had care taken over it, then it'll get listened to faster.

ie make your own nice logo on a letterhead.

list your influences too on there, so you can get an idea of what it's like before listening to it.

perhaps a kit list too??

be friendly on the letter too - don't make it too official (then again don't kiss ass either..)

herman
19-02-2003, 01:10 PM
got to be honest when i get a demo i prefer the just the track titles and contact info approach think its so i dont have any preconceptions or some thing dont really care what your using or what your influence's are good music is good music at the end of the day

Anonymous
19-02-2003, 01:48 PM
A CV type thing can be useful (if you've actually got anything to put on it!)

EG:
Jan 01 - Awarded residency @ "blah" club. Performed alongside tom, dick and harry DJ's.

Feb 01- released debut ep- "rubbish" on craptrax

You get the idea. Flyers are a good alternative, obviously they have to have your name on.

I agree with Mark (wow ;) ) that if a package is well presented then I will be drawn towards it......

I like information, but I don't like liars.

quack
19-02-2003, 06:24 PM
arggh? so many different ideas, I guess it's really subjective. I'll go with the minimal approach of just a CD and tracklisting. no bio or kit list but a decent label with my contact info and influences.

Well I'll give the above Idea a shot. Then after trying that I'll go with the letter head, and other info approach. I agree with herman and think It should be about the music and not much else.

ryan your idea looks great for DJ promos I'm not so sure for music demos, but then again I don't know anything about sending demos.

btw if your the same mark eg as on a flyer i just got I think your djing at one of our areas clubs march 8, maybe I'll see you there. (with a demo :))

Jimfish
19-02-2003, 06:33 PM
i normally send a box with a dead rabbi.......oh no, thats somthing else....

278d7e64a374de26f==