PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what the best effects unit for dj use is???

techno_smack
13-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Whats the best????? pioneer efx-500??? korg pads? alesis???? any info would be much appreciated.

cheers :rambo:

DJZeMig_L
13-04-2004, 08:57 PM
I would go 4 the efx500 although the sound quality is very nasty! :(

the korg is neat aswell but I guess it's harder 2 get an accurate control, ... stuff like getting a delay on a certain tempo etc...

The korg can also do some short sampling and tweek a little in real time!

Z

TechMouse
14-04-2004, 12:04 AM
The RedSound units are pretty cool.

DJZeMig_L
14-04-2004, 12:38 AM
yeah but c-loops has had some probs with the quartz which makes' em crash and die lots of times... also the xs I think it's going 2 b discontinued!

Aparently there will b a new C-loops sometime soon ...

for does in the America, Pevey bought the rights and is already selling a more stable (so I've heard but can't vouch or contradict)

here's the details...

http://www.djzone.net/pg/moxiepix/a142.jpg

PVDJ, a division of Peavey Electronics Corporation, Winter NAMM Expo booth #5740, proudly introduces the new Grabber sampling module, which allows DJs to automatically create loops. This unit ?grabs? a loop of audio with a single touch of a button.

The PVDJ Grabber revolutionizes sampling technology by allowing one-button-push looping with automatic BPM detection and beat position detection. While most samplers require start- and end-point editing, the Grabber automatically creates a perfect loop using its built-in BPM counter, and automatically syncs the loop to your main mix tempo. The Grabber features separate buttons for 1, 2, 4, 8 and 16-beat loops. This very affordable module also includes several features for creative mixing, including a jog wheel for phasing effects and other fine adjustments and a selector switch that enables reverse play.

The Grabber will be available in February 2004 from Authorized PVDJ Dealers.
Features
· Variable sample rate: (96 kHz maximum)
· 24-bit conversion resolution; Polyphony: 6 sample loops
· Sample loop length: 1, 2, 4 (x2), 8, 16 (32 beats total)
· BPM range: 60 to 230 BPM (three ranges)
· U.S. MSRP $299.99

Z

MARKEG
14-04-2004, 12:49 AM
i've bought both the air fx and the efx 500

i hate the air fx now - it dampens the overall sound. plus it's so inaccurate.

the efx is good but still i wish i had more effects and more control.

the kaoss pad i've fiddled with on loads of occasions and i really don't like it.

maily
14-04-2004, 01:03 AM
I love my C loops :) , when it works! :cry:

DJZeMig_L
14-04-2004, 01:05 AM
I would settle for having a crossfader instead of a dry/ wet knob!! :)

An auto-loop sample in the CDJ800 style... more and better control over filter (cut-off/ resonance7 LPF/HPF) Xone style!! :)

all the ideias already submited 2 Pioneer! ;)

Z

dulash
14-04-2004, 10:51 PM
I have the airfx and I think its not so bad for live performance (a bit of an ego lifter) but it just stands there now because it doesnt work for some strange reason.

But I would really like to buy an good filterbank for live perfomance, do you know any. btw the xone filter is mighty

DJZeMig_L
14-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Mutonics Mutator/ Sherman Filter Bank 2!!!

Z

dulash
14-04-2004, 11:29 PM
the filter bank 2 looks promising! thou i never thought about using it live LOL

but the mutronic doesnt look so good, but also sometimes things that dont look good sound that much better, is this one of them?

Jimfish
15-04-2004, 10:13 AM
ooh the air fx sounds nasty - you put a track through it and it instantly sounds like a shit mp3.. i could never use one of those ****ers..

i have an electrix eq killer which is about the best sounding kill i have ever heard, its got 3 bands and 2 sweeps which sound awesome.. I must say this is one of my very favoutite toys in the studio :love:

also the elextrix mo-fx is a cool toy too - used to have one of those..
the electrix filter queen and filter factory are ok bu i dont think they cut the mustard next to an akai mfc42 or better than that a sherman.

i had a red XS-FX too, which, like the mo-fx took a little time to really master but was well worth it.. sound quality wasnt as good as the mofx though.
sherman filterbank 2 is allways a goodun too - but just watch you dont blow the fu*kin pa up

if i was a dj i would just go buy a pioneer djm-600 - the fx on there are pretty neat and piss easy to get your head round. :rambo:

Jimfish
15-04-2004, 10:16 AM
yeah a friend of mine uses the efx-500 a lot too and its pretty fun when i have a play around on it - although again its not the greatest sounding :cry:

gumpy green
15-04-2004, 03:42 PM
kaoss pad 2 not 1...........the must nuts. the best fx ive ever used....

also won furture musics fx unit of the year.....platinum award...

and looks great too...

my setup is kaos pad on one channel and akai filter unit on the other....you get some great tricks down using the 2 at once...

too many folk iv met think the djm600/500 is a better fx unit....believe me they dont know what ther talking about....used all and the kp2 just pisses over them both....

DJZeMig_L
15-04-2004, 04:10 PM
fair enought but what really got me was that it's hard 2 get a proper timing on the delays and stuff... do u have any tricks u might share with us!! :)

Z

gumpy green
15-04-2004, 06:18 PM
fair enought but what really got me was that it's hard 2 get a proper timing on the delays and stuff... do u have any tricks u might share with us!! :)

Z

yeh, unless the beat has good clean kicks to "home in" on it struggles sometimes....if this is the case you just tap along with the beat on the tempo button and it gets it from that....its very good this way and im pretty sure it take the average over a period of time....not like my akai flilter unit...that take just the time between 2 hits and is SHITE(at locking on tempos).....im gonna try and hook my midi out from kp2 to the midi in on the akai and see if that works....hopes so cos the lfo shit on the fliter is really good.

Also on kp2 thers only about 10 that are synce to bpm the other 90 are indepedant.......so you control the filter cut off rate yourself by moving the pad....rather than a machine doing it for you.....much better being in control yourself....thats why i dont like djms much...all you have is a button to press and depth contol...no real human manipulation.

tricks yeh........i got a good few.....check this for a live set using kp2 (but no fliter......)

http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonzliveatdogmaoct03.mp3

shit like using the delay to double the beat but then kutting kicks from another into it......

gumpy green
15-04-2004, 06:21 PM
also quite like the look of the red XS-FX but never tryed it so dont know...

will look into it cos i want more fx ...i want one for the master out of my mixer......that would be the bizz.

one fx on each dek plus one on master.........

DJZeMig_L
15-04-2004, 07:57 PM
109mb is a bit much for this months bill! sorry m8!!

Z

techno_smack
15-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Thanx alot for the info everyone, so what do you think is better between the efx and the korg kaoss 2?

and also is there any programs that allow u to do stuff to real time sound through a pc?

cheers

DJZeMig_L
15-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Thanx alot for the info everyone, so what do you think is better between the efx and the korg kaoss 2?

KP2,... EFX500 easier and faster for djing!

and also is there any programs that allow u to do stuff to real time sound through a pc?

u'd have 2 have a very powerfull PC with amazing specs and soundcard!

Z

Jimfish
16-04-2004, 10:08 AM
u could use that steinberg V-stack program loaded with vsts on a laptop with a phatboy or somthing

DJZeMig_L
16-04-2004, 11:30 AM
yeah m8 but if u are djing any latency can b very disturbing if u know what I mean!! and there is no absolutly real time PC/ Soundcard/ software.

Z

gumpy green
16-04-2004, 12:19 PM

cheers

definately the kaoss pad 2 out of those 2, hands down.

and its just a bit cheaper aswell.

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/tkweb/stockdetail.jsp?sku=KORG-KAOSS2&context=WEB

230 sheets........

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/dj_production?reset=1 the 500 is £289

Jimfish
16-04-2004, 12:21 PM
mmm good point.. but if latency is that bad how do bands use v-stack then? id imaging they'd want somthing to happen pretty much instantly when they hit a midi footswitch or somthing...

i was hoping to use some vst's for my live set - do you think ill have probs then dude?

Antinoise
16-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Most programs now days have latency compensation built in so it adjusts itself against the midi clock. However, if your in a totally live situation without a midi clock... that’s a different story.

DJZeMig_L
16-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Djing is a all different thang... Imagine that when u had a filter the beat woul b slightly off...

PDC is generally achieved by a small wait b4 the start, in fact its more 2 do with a situation when u have some audio then u had some process, now the program calculates the lag these will add and compensates by either using a buffer 2 do all the pre-calculations (which is not the same as a live feed, I mean and audio track is already there so all it needs is some computing all ready 2 b fired appon a press on the play) or delaying all the other signals 4 the same amount...

Can really imagine how else u can bens time in order 2 have the results of audio computing even b4 the audio is there if u know what I mean...

U could say that we could get along fine with something as small as 7-9 ms, but still I think that in order 2 have it working nice u'd need a very spec'ed up pc/ Mac.

But I could b talking rubish I guess, I'll b glad 2 hear yer thoughs on this 1! :)

now there's a brain twister lol!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==