PDA

View Full Version : Heads down techno

Slink
14-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Here's a little ditty that Pat Hurley and I wrote on Saturday, we're going to do another day on it as it's a little basic at the moment, but any feedback would be much appreciated:

New War (http://www.brightonart.org/planetyes/audio/Slink_&_Pat_Hurley-New_War.mp3)

Hope you like it!

dirty_bass
14-04-2004, 01:31 PM
After your acid stuff, and Pats fantastic repease on uber, I`m looking forward to this.

dirty_bass
14-04-2004, 01:38 PM
wow. It`s like no acid techno I`ve evr tasted before gromit.

I like this, you`ve got a lot of width into this production wise.

Jimfish
14-04-2004, 01:58 PM
yeah its quite spacious with plenty of width but perhaps a bit 'dry' sounding im hoping on day two you are either gonna stick some more percussion in there or pull out some more freqs from the sounds that are there to fill her up a bit..
im well into the delayed synth stabs that come in from half wa.. i want em in one of my tracks! :cry:
why not skip that long dj friendly intro - im sure everyone is capable of mixing more than just a kickdrum these days ;)

Jimfish
14-04-2004, 02:00 PM
overall not quite my ting but its nice to see what pat gets up to with his chums - i do like those lead stabs though, wicked stuff. crisp production too my man!

dirty_bass
14-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Yeah, had it at high volume now, and a bit more subtractive eq needs to be used to clean it up, and the kick needs to push through a bit more.

Personally although I love the sub, it`s a little bit Lawrie/routemaster sounding. I would replace the analogue mono line with some bassy percussion samples and stuff, and jam them in for the bass.

dan the acid man
14-04-2004, 02:44 PM
im liking this one, i agree with the experts (jimfish and dirty) its just needs polishing up with a few tweaks and maybe a bit more percussion, i also have to agree with dirty on the bassline.

Slink
14-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Cheers for the feedback chaps, yeah I love those stabs too - nice and "chonky"!

I'll be putting some more effected percussion into it anyway - I'm more into my syncopated stuff whereas Pat is into more straight ahead stuff, so there was always going to be a compromise...

Sorry Steve but the sub stays. I don't care if it sounds a little london-esque, I've played the tune on my B&W 604s (they go down to around 35-40hz) and it's going to sound huge on a rig, which is after all the desired effect - however some bassy percussion samples are a good idea, at least so that people who hear it on crappy speakers have something bassy to listen to!

Also I'm a dyed in the wool raver so can't bring myself to get rid of the analogue lead - I guess it's a matter of different strokes for different folks eh?

I know what you mean about the mix needing some subractive eq'ing though, this will get done on the final mixdown just to separate everything a bit more.

dirty_bass
14-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Hey dude, you the man, as I said, big bass is a good thing by me, however it is.
It`s a taste thing.

Slink
21-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Hi again,

Here's the result of the second day with Pat, I've tried to make it a bit wetter sounding with some percussive delays etc and taken the wool out of it in the mix (hopefully!) - to my ears the sequence is there but I may do another mixdown as I think I need a sound somewhere between the first and second mix...

I'll stop waffling now, here's the link:

http://www.squatjuice.com/mp3/PlanetYes/tunes/Slink_&_Pat_Hurley-New_War.mp3

What d'you reckon now, any improvement?

Thanx!

paxus
22-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Never heard the old one at the top of the thread,
The bass starts out a little awkward, but before I
could think about it, the shuffling acid stabs came
in all dark and warm.
The breaks are solid coming in, and the echoey
percussion sits perfectly into the mix. Dunno about
the structure, i'd actually have to mix with it to com-
ment, but sounds crackin. Love the low-distorted hoover,
just adds a great kinda subtle darkness to the whole thing.
Kinda like a real crazy siren.
Also listened to Bigger Tune, which was as well
very very nice. Would love to spin this out if ya didn't
mind. Great sound and all. Keep up the good work.
;)
-&rew

Slink
22-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi Paxus, cheers for the comments - I don't mind if you play it out, but on one condition: You post back here to let me know what the crowd reaction was!

Nice one...

paxus
22-04-2004, 02:27 PM
slink: will do. my next gig is an underground
party we're throwing at a gas station. letcha know
how it goes. ;)

The Overfiend
22-04-2004, 02:58 PM
I look forward to hearing this one Downloading now.

The Overfiend
22-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Rhythm is Apeshit.
The programming is what I like the most about this track. Very Visceral.
I like what I am hearing, the bass heavy sound is a plus as well, I guess my only suggestion would be to give it a different kick, with something more vicious this would make it's burn.

paxus
03-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Played the track(s) out this past Saturday.
Sounded nice on a larger system and mixed
pretty well. New War was a lil distorted on the
lower end b/c of the filesize, but "Bigger Tune"
was right amazing to hear in its full-on acid
glory. Great stuff man, crowd dug it and all, i'll
try to get a picture for ya once I get them. Def-
inetly let me know if I can get anymore promo
stuff from ya : ). thanks again, -paxus (&rew) ;)

Slink
06-05-2004, 03:11 AM
Excellent!!*rubs hands together* Thanks for the feedback, Bigger Tune is released in two weeks so I hope it does as well everywhere else as it did at the party...

I'll be doing a final mixdown of New War with slightly re-eq'ed bass (dammit you were right guys!) and slightly louder open hats as this is what seemed to be lacking when I played it at clubs the last couple of itmes off CD.

Cheers!

paxus
06-05-2004, 08:57 AM
awesome, ill have to hear it when ya do. great stuff all around, please lemme know if i can play some of your stuff in the future. id love it if i could : ) -paxus

278d7e64a374de26f==