PDA

View Full Version : Phil Kieran

Numeric
14-04-2004, 02:06 PM
He's gonna be playing at our night this weekend, i was just wondering what you lot think of this guy...

I haven't actualy seen him play before, although i've heard good reports from trusted sources...

stefano1981
14-04-2004, 02:51 PM
Mixing quite poor but the tunes are fairly good. Nothing amazing though.

Tiptoe
14-04-2004, 02:52 PM
yeah mixing was a bit crap when i saw him and the tunes were ok.

Numeric
14-04-2004, 03:22 PM
What? Crap mixing, oh man...

:doh:

Tiptoe
14-04-2004, 03:26 PM
you not agree numeric :?:

Numeric
14-04-2004, 03:38 PM

It's not that man, i haven't heard the guy spin yet, so i can't comment...

I just find it dissapointing that these big name jocks can get away with dodgy mixes, considering how much they get paid...

Before you ask, i didn't book him for our night, i don't have anything to do with the business side of s**t. If i had my way we'd book Slobodan!!

:lol:

Tiptoe
14-04-2004, 04:07 PM
yeah i no what you mean about that.There is nothing worse than a dj who mixes shoddily. Makes you wander how they got there sometimes. Your right about slobodan. That mix of his on hardsignal is wicked

Jimfish
14-04-2004, 04:08 PM

If i had my way we'd book Slobodan!!

yeah man - allways book slobodan!

Numeric
14-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Anyway...

I'm sure Phil is gonna rock this weekend at Moov...

It's at Hendre Hall in Bangor on Saturday night!!

If you're in the area, be sure to check it!!

;)

Tiptoe
14-04-2004, 04:45 PM
good luck with it anyway :lol:

stefano1981
14-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Mixing is not the be all and end all of DJing.

Numeric
14-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Mixing is not the be all and end all of DJing.

Perhaps, but if you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right, especially if you're getting paid X amount of dollars...

Col
14-04-2004, 05:39 PM
as far as im aware hes mates with fergie. need i say more?

stefano1981
14-04-2004, 05:58 PM
The reason for that is probably because they're both from Northern Ireland, assuming your information is correct. What's your point?

Col
14-04-2004, 06:02 PM
The reason for that is probably because they're both from Northern Ireland, assuming your information is correct. What's your point?

any who wishes to associate with an egotistical bandwagon bum, shouldnt belong within techno. thats my point.

messyfuture
14-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Phil is a top guy, and he will rock it for sure ;)

i have not seen him out in belfast for ages but say hello for me

:lol:

stefano1981
15-04-2004, 10:39 AM
any who wishes to associate with an egotistical bandwagon bum, shouldnt belong within techno. thats my point.

Oh I see, you get to decide on who and who can't be a member of the techno community based on who they associate with. Right-o then.

BOXY
15-04-2004, 11:53 AM

Oh I see, you get to decide on who and who can't be a member of the techno community based on who they associate with. Right-o then.

:clap: :clap:

Numeric
15-04-2004, 11:56 AM
good luck with it anyway :lol:

Cheers man, i've heard that Phil has been playing quite bangin sets recently so it should be good...

:cool:

daviec
15-04-2004, 02:10 PM
I heard Phil Keiran at the Arches once and he was pretty good then. Percy X stole the show right enough, but Keiran was good. I think Dave Clarke was on that night as well.

Numeric
15-04-2004, 02:13 PM
I heard Phil Keiran at the Arches once and he was pretty good then. Percy X stole the show right enough, but Keiran was good. I think Dave Clarke was on that night as well.

Percy X is meant to be playing at our next event in a couple of months, nothing concrete yet though...

daviec
15-04-2004, 02:21 PM
He's very good. Really versatile, and not scared to bang it out either :)

BOXY
15-04-2004, 03:24 PM
I'd like to see him if i got the chance i heard good things about him and his productions are pretty good!!

Numeric
15-04-2004, 03:35 PM
I'd like to see him if i got the chance i heard good things about him and his productions are pretty good!!

Get the f**k to North Wales in a couple of months then mate!!

;)

schlongfingers
15-04-2004, 03:44 PM

Jeez he hangs with 2 egotistical bums then ;)

:crackup: BRILLIANT!

Capone
15-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Nothing personal against Kieran, but he is technically very poor....some good tunes alright, but the mixing.......... :roll: :roll:

Numeric
16-04-2004, 09:02 AM

Percy X is now confirmed for June 5th!!

Col
16-04-2004, 03:39 PM

sorry, did i say that? no, i didnt think so either.

he obviously uses his links within radio to sell records.

sorry for being pre-judgemental, but i would be surprised if any of his tracks did anything for me. being the nice guy i am, i will check them out though. (just to make sure)

stefano1981
16-04-2004, 04:06 PM

Looked like it from here. Or does the statement that someone doesn't belong in techno according to some arbitrary criterion that you've come up with mean something completely differently.

How do you know this? I don't even know if Fergie plays Phil Kieran records but Adam Beyer does (he's even remixed one), so does that mean that Kieran is obviously using his Swedish links to sell records?

Col
16-04-2004, 04:16 PM

Looked like it from here. Or does the statement that someone doesn't belong in techno according to some arbitrary criterion that you've come up with mean something completely differently.

How do you know this? I don't even know if Fergie plays Phil Kieran records but Adam Beyer does (he's even remixed one), so does that mean that Kieran is obviously using his Swedish links to sell records?

beyer must like his money then. or maybe he felt that kierans tracks were so bad, that he would take the oppurtunity to re-write his pathetic attempts. again, im just speculating. (its a bad habit i have)

Sunil
16-04-2004, 04:27 PM

But I don't think Phil Kieran considers himself to be an integral part of the 'techno movement', he's released electro, breaks, tech house too. There's a lot that is said about his Djing or whatever, he mightn't be the best in the world sure, the way I look at it though is that he's worked bloody hard at what he's done and has become a big success as a producer, if DJ gigs are what comes with this then more power to him, he deserves it.. For the record, I saw him play an electro set in Dublin one night and he was fine, quite good in fact; and any time i've spoken to him he seemed like a nice enough bloke. Who gives a shit if he hangs out with Fergie? they are both from Northern Ireland and obviously have one or two things in common. Liebing hangs out with Picotto, Hawtin hangs out with Vath.., let them them sip their champagne together if they want, it's all "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" and that level... we need to be accept this and be happy for them all :lol:

Sunil
16-04-2004, 04:29 PM
it's all "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" and that level...

"at that level" it should have been.. a prime example of the edit button being needed on this board! :rambo:

stefano1981
16-04-2004, 05:21 PM
ey are both from Northern Ireland and obviously have one or two things in common. Liebing hangs out with Picotto, Hawtin hangs out with Vath..,

Agreed. Did it ever occur to you that they might actually enjoy each other's company? I've mates who used to play trance and who've since moved onto techno when they got exposed to more and more of it, should I be excluded as well?

Col
16-04-2004, 10:27 PM
i actually took it upon myself to do a little research regarding kieran. my initial judgement stands correct imo.

hes had releases on bugged out, and skint (mixmags idea of credible labels) he plays gigs such as creamfields etc. i listened to clips of a couple of tracks hes produced. i found it to be predictable cheese. i also found that he produced a track "my house (is your house)" i mean how many times have we heard these vocals all throughout the many genres within dance music? surely we must be hitting the 5000 plus mark by now? the titles of his tracks are incrediblly laughable: "juicy" "youth" "i love you" "my house" "chunka funk" "vital 1" "vital 2" "vital 3" wheres the sense of artistic vision?

i think he found inspiration within a 12yr old girls personal diary. :lol:

Stella Boy
16-04-2004, 10:37 PM
the titles of his tracks are incrediblly laughable: "juicy" "youth" "i love you" "my house" "chunka funk" "vital 1" "vital 2" "vital 3" wheres the sense of artistic vision?

I don't see the relevance of this. Track titles are track titles. Surely, it's the contents on the production which matters, irrespective of who's produced it.

Col
16-04-2004, 10:43 PM
ey are both from Northern Ireland and obviously have one or two things in common. Liebing hangs out with Picotto, Hawtin hangs out with Vath..,

Agreed. Did it ever occur to you that they might actually enjoy each other's company? I've mates who used to play trance and who've since moved onto techno when they got exposed to more and more of it, should I be excluded as well?

its not a case of musical preference. im talking about the way people conduct themselves, its about honesty, its about greed, its about image & ego.

and at the end of the day, i dont take kindly to self obsessed press whores who use "techno" as an excuse to gain credibility.

Col
16-04-2004, 10:48 PM
the titles of his tracks are incrediblly laughable: "juicy" "youth" "i love you" "my house" "chunka funk" "vital 1" "vital 2" "vital 3" wheres the sense of artistic vision?

I don't see the relevance of this. Track titles are track titles. Surely, it's the contents on the production which matters, irrespective of who's produced it.

your right. but the contents match the wrapper. im just putting my case forward. "every little helps" as they say.

Stella Boy
16-04-2004, 10:57 PM

your right. but the contents match the wrapper. im just putting my case forward. "every little helps" as they say.

Fair enough, but people shouldn't make a musical choice on this basis alone.

Col
16-04-2004, 11:16 PM

Fair enough, but people shouldn't make a musical choice on this basis alone.

again your right. no track title would ever stop me from listening to a particular track. (even if the title of every track from a particular producer(no names mentioned) sounded like it was randomly picked from a westlife album)

Stella Boy
16-04-2004, 11:22 PM
"Flying Without Wings" the Hellfish rmx ??

Col
16-04-2004, 11:29 PM
"Flying Without Wings" the Hellfish rmx ??

:lol: hahahaha.... ;)

Capone
17-04-2004, 08:43 PM
What the **** difference does the track title make??? If it's a shite title, you ain't even gonna listen to it, is that it????? Crock of shit, mate.

The Overfiend
17-04-2004, 09:02 PM
All of my a sides will be called ass
and the b sides titties.

Who gives a crock about the title.
I mean pronounce a Umek title regardless of the title it'ss still prob s..........

MARKEG
18-04-2004, 05:08 AM
I don't like alot of Phil Kieren's tracks - they lack the 'attitude' which I look for it techno. But he does make a form of techno and I'm not about to go and diss him because he hangs around with Fergie or because he's using the money making machine that is Radio 1 to promote his records.

I've learnt alot from this forum over the last few years and it stems from the initial concept (which loads of you have loved about this place). Why slag ppl off you don't know?

If you don't know them, you don't know there reasons for doing something. Has it occured to some ppl that Phil Kieran might actually not be sucking Fergies dick, he might have known him for years, he might be friendly with all these non-techno guys because he's been playing at a gig with them, gone back to hotel room, drunk 15 crates of stella and actually really enjoyed their company??????????????????? I mean should we all start not speaking to people because they're into different music than us?????

Col, I respect your passion in this and you're love for music, correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing I've realised over the years is that there's a whole world out there that is not so 'underground' and 'perfect' as you'd like it to be. Take the glasses off. You CAN keep the ethos of pushing music forward by dipping into the odd Radio 1 show to sell a few more copies but just DONT make your objectives money orientated. Certain ppl cross the line and they loose credibility and direction. Others dont. I suppose it's like walking on a fence. As long as you keep you're morals you can't go far wrong. Who are we to judge Phil Kieran's morals in this?

I suppose the speakers do the talking :)

Col
18-04-2004, 11:11 AM
What the **** difference does the track title make??? If it's a shite title, you ain't even gonna listen to it, is that it????? Crock of shit, mate.

i think you missed my response to my initial comment.

here it is again:

"again your right. no track title would ever stop me from listening to a particular track. (even if the title of every track from a particular producer(no names mentioned) sounded like it was randomly picked from a westlife album)"

Col
18-04-2004, 11:27 AM
I don't like alot of Phil Kieren's tracks - they lack the 'attitude' which I look for it techno. But he does make a form of techno and I'm not about to go and diss him because he hangs around with Fergie or because he's using the money making machine that is Radio 1 to promote his records.

I've learnt alot from this forum over the last few years and it stems from the initial concept (which loads of you have loved about this place). Why slag ppl off you don't know?

If you don't know them, you don't know there reasons for doing something. Has it occured to some ppl that Phil Kieran might actually not be sucking Fergies dick, he might have known him for years, he might be friendly with all these non-techno guys because he's been playing at a gig with them, gone back to hotel room, drunk 15 crates of stella and actually really enjoyed their company??????????????????? I mean should we all start not speaking to people because they're into different music than us?????

Col, I respect your passion in this and you're love for music, correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing I've realised over the years is that there's a whole world out there that is not so 'underground' and 'perfect' as you'd like it to be. Take the glasses off. You CAN keep the ethos of pushing music forward by dipping into the odd Radio 1 show to sell a few more copies but just DONT make your objectives money orientated. Certain ppl cross the line and they loose credibility and direction. Others dont. I suppose it's like walking on a fence. As long as you keep you're morals you can't go far wrong. Who are we to judge Phil Kieran's morals in this?

I suppose the speakers do the talking :)

fair enough mark. but we all judge people, its difficult not to. take for example: tony blair & george bush. none of us know these guys on a personal level, but we all make judgements based on their actions, and how the press/media percieve them or their actions. is this case any different?

schlongfingers
18-04-2004, 04:06 PM
fair enough mark. but we all judge people, its difficult not to. take for example: tony blair & george bush. none of us know these guys on a personal level, but we all make judgements based on their actions, and how the press/media percieve them or their actions. is this case any different?

I reckon that's different because with musicians you've just got the music to go off, there's no implied indication of personality or ethics at all - in the case of politicians there's a lot of information to point to their morals.

crime
18-04-2004, 04:31 PM
And on top of that politicians make decisions that affect our lives and should be accountable for their actions.. Therefore people have every right to comment on their actions...

Music is a completely different thing, and the reality is musicians have every right to do what they like regardless of what other people think...

Bottom line, how can you judge people who you do not know? Why make assumptions about what kind of person they are...

I think it's quite a big assumtion that a lot of these hard house types are "Latching on to techno to gain some credibility", as much as I can't stand what any of these people do, what does it really matter? Last time I looked, techno was one of the most unfashionable types of music going, I doubt there's that much to be gained from "Jumping on the bandwagon"

No skin of my nose to be honest, to me it's at completely opposite end of the spectrum to what I'm interested in....

Col
18-04-2004, 06:00 PM
ok fair enough guys. you both made some good points. but being judgemental is natural. in an idealistic world we wouldnt be so stereotypical. and that goes for myself too. we all judge people in one way or another, and i think you would be lying to yourself if you said that you didnt stereotype in some shape of form.

Sunil
18-04-2004, 07:56 PM
I think it's quite a big assumtion that a lot of these hard house types are "Latching on to techno to gain some credibility", as much as I can't stand what any of these people do, what does it really matter? Last time I looked, techno was one of the most unfashionable types of music going, I doubt there's that much to be gained from "Jumping on the bandwagon"

It is a fair assumption actually, not that people should get so worked up about it though. Techno regardless of its fashion status in the past, has generally been regarded as intelligent.. hardhouse has been getting slagged off badly for ages, and techno was becoming more popular amongst clubbers, why wouldn't many of the producers want a shift in identity and to cut themselves a bit of the pie? The proof of a lot of this attitude is the upsurge in producers or fans from various genres talking of this new found "techie" or "tech" style that they are into. Techno is cool, let's face it :neutral:

Mike_W
19-04-2004, 02:59 PM
I've seen Phil Kieran about 4 times now and I've always thought he has been very good.

duncandisorderly
19-04-2004, 05:33 PM

It is a fair assumption actually, not that people should get so worked up about it though. Techno regardless of its fashion status in the past, has generally been regarded as intelligent.. hardhouse has been getting slagged off badly for ages, and techno was becoming more popular amongst clubbers, why wouldn't many of the producers want a shift in identity and to cut themselves a bit of the pie? The proof of a lot of this attitude is the upsurge in producers or fans from various genres talking of this new found "techie" or "tech" style that they are into. Techno is cool, let's face it :neutral:

however you could argue that they saw the light, not jumped on the bandwagon :!:

dan the acid man
19-04-2004, 07:40 PM
cols right, i think most people are guilty of making assumptions and judging people, i try not to, but i still do occasionally.

i also agree with marks comments, so what if an artist is getting played on national radio, if they are still doing what they love with the same passion then surely its all good, as long as it doesnt turn them into an ego maniac

Sunil
19-04-2004, 09:22 PM
however you could argue that they saw the light, not jumped on the bandwagon :!:

Sure, you could. They are all into it i'm sure...

Col
20-04-2004, 09:10 AM

Sure, you could. They are all into it i'm sure...

sure you could, but you could then also argue that these guys are making easy listening, off-shoot techno. which i think is the case.

Col
20-04-2004, 09:11 AM
infact, to even call what they make "techno" is degrading to the genre.

Numeric
20-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Yo...

This turned out to be a very interesting thread, feelin some of the points made from both sides of the discussion...

Phil played for us on saturday night, his set started a little tame but for the last hour he ripped the dance-floor, quite a lot of his tunes were rather bangin, but yeah, it wasn't what i would call 'real' techno...

As for the guy himself, i chatted with him as soon as he finished his set and a little later on also, for me, he came across as a really nice bloke, not in the least bit arrogant or un-approachable. He's also offered to help us out with future events!! So all this bulls**t about him being a t**t can stop right now!!

;)

loko
20-04-2004, 10:09 AM
he doesnt mix at actually. he just flicks the crossfader across and gets away with (ocassionally) but his production side of things.....hes good!...as for being friends with fergie he was playin tech/techno style music well before he made it big!hes a crowd puller all the same!

278d7e64a374de26f==