PDA

View Full Version : dave angel

subsonic
15-04-2004, 09:14 AM
what do you think of him as a dj

i think this guy has rocked for years in my opinion his style differs from the rest :cool:

Si the Sigh
15-04-2004, 09:16 AM
Not seem him play for about 4-5 years, but he used to be a wicked DJ. Looking forward to hearing him again soon.

T
15-04-2004, 09:45 AM
haven't heard him dj since mid 90's, used to really like his dj sets, functional tight mixer and good tunes, pretty hard when he use to play Universe, obsession with ribbz, helter skelter technodrome etc. A few of his tracks are nice, eg brother from jazz, tend to be mellower than stuff he used to play. Heard "sea of tranquility 12" on rotation which is quite recent and not bad. still got a few old mix tapes of his knocking about somewhere. not so sure what he's playing these days though, heard he's made some drum & bass lately as well??.

serox
15-04-2004, 09:46 AM
never liked his music or his sets :nono: not my thang

gumpy green
15-04-2004, 09:53 AM
seen him once a few years ago.........he rocked my boat on the night, defo..

scienceofuse
15-04-2004, 10:27 AM
I saw him a few years ago at a big warehouse party and I liked how he didn't compromise his style - most "big name DJs" tend to bang it out at big events, but he stuck to his funky melodic style, lots of chords and strings...

I read somewhere he used to bring a screwdriver to his gigs to tweak the turntables' pitch control...

Si the Sigh
15-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Yea, he did that at The Country Club the 2 times he played there! Pissed everyone right off as they had to adjust them after his sets so they could play! :lol:

subsonic
15-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Yea, he did that at The Country Club the 2 times he played there! Pissed everyone right off as they had to adjust them after his sets so they could play! :lol:

just as well hes on last :lol: :lol:

schlongfingers
15-04-2004, 11:00 AM
I heard him play in Prague about 2 years ago and he was absolutely ****in shite. Hard bangin loop techno, no surprises, no soul whatsoever.

Hmm I'm in the wrong place to say that aint I :lol:

DJRazza
15-04-2004, 11:11 AM
quality dj comes with a big fee these days so andy vortex said ;)

subsonic
15-04-2004, 11:14 AM

true but i think worth it ;)

DJRazza
15-04-2004, 11:31 AM

true but i think worth it ;)

did anyone remember that tune he played at skelter once called "bangin box" what a tune that was ;)

dan the acid man
15-04-2004, 11:33 AM
ive not heard him play for years either, i think the last time was on the john peel show, he used to be good anyway

bod
15-04-2004, 11:38 AM
he played with us last year, and filled the venue! big name with a big price and a big ego, but a sound guy none the less!

Tiptoe
15-04-2004, 11:44 AM
One of the best tapes i own is a dave angel craig walsh one from dreamscape 20. ****in rockin. Anyone else got the pack. The trev rockliffe tape is best though!

Si the Sigh
15-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Trev Rockliffe & Clarkee tape is amazing!

Tiptoe
15-04-2004, 11:49 AM
clarkee is quality dj. MY mate has a clsrkee and ramos tape from the edge and it is ace

BOXY
15-04-2004, 11:49 AM
quality dj but i aint heard nothing of him for ages, got quite a few tapes of his at home which are all wikkid ;)

basslinejunkie
15-04-2004, 12:01 PM
i read sumwhere a while ago that he tends 2 get more bookings abroad these days than he does at home.ive only got 1 tape of him,helter skelter the eye 95 and its f*ckin superb :rambo: a totally unique style of techno,funky an jazzy but still tough.never come across anythin like it.

subsonic
15-04-2004, 12:03 PM
well on the 11th june we have booked him for the headline set at SUBSONICA UK at the sanctuary ;)

T
15-04-2004, 12:25 PM
I had a superb Dave Angel mix tape from Universe 93, every track's absolute quality. Listening to tapes like that really got me into my techno back then.

Si the Sigh
15-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Yea mate. Same here!

death on a stick
15-04-2004, 12:40 PM
A coked up has-been with more ego than taste or judgement. Last time I saw him we just stood and laughed until we had to leave the room because it was so bad it stopped being funny. His productions were OK but always a bit samey. All is forgiven though as we indirectly have him to thank for the wonderful "Drums Suck" mix of "Airborne" by Carl Craig.

gumpy green
15-04-2004, 12:42 PM
I read somewhere he used to bring a screwdriver to his gigs to tweak the turntables' pitch control...

were about is the bit he tweaked...not that i want to do it . just curious..

is it under the platter???

Jimfish
15-04-2004, 12:44 PM
****in hell man, i though he must have gone and got a proper job or somthing, ive hardly heard a whisper from or about the bloke since i saw him and luke slater pumping it out at alexandra palace nye 97.. he ****in kicked ass that night tho i seem to remember :)

Jimfish
15-04-2004, 12:45 PM
yeah ****in hell, he must have had to take off the platter then all those screws underneath and then adjust the pitch and put it all togethor..! how the **** did he have time to do that? did he just put a cd on for 15 mins or somthing?!??

Si the Sigh
15-04-2004, 12:47 PM

Yea, theres a potentiometer (pot) under the platter. You can piss about with it to calibrate your decks. Its possible to change the 1210's from +/-8 up to +/-16. Wouldn't want to twat aboout with mine though... :neutral:

subsonic
15-04-2004, 12:53 PM
**** hell man, i though he must have gone and got a proper job or somthing, ive hardly heard a whisper from or about the bloke since i saw him and luke slater pumping it out at alexandra palace nye 97.. he **** kicked ass that night tho i seem to remember :)

well im hopeing he will rock the floor at subsonica ;)

T
15-04-2004, 12:58 PM

Yea, theres a potentiometer (pot) under the platter. You can piss about with it to calibrate your decks. Its possible to change the 1210's from +/-8 up to +/-16. Wouldn't want to twat aboout with mine though... :neutral:

Aquaitance of mine f****d the decks by messing with the pitch like that, ended up the pitch would just randomly change and bend while playing records....couldn't get it back to normal...gutted!

Numeric
15-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Aquaitance of mine f****d the decks by messing with the pitch like that, ended up the pitch would just randomly change and bend while playing records....couldn't get it back to normal...gutted!

My decks do that from time to time, i haven't messed around with their insides, but they have been carted around quite a lot and are seriously gettin on a bit now...

New Vestax soon...

:love:

ncw
15-04-2004, 01:03 PM
A coked up has-been with more ego than taste or judgement. Last time I saw him we just stood and laughed until we had to leave the room because it was so bad it stopped being funny. His productions were OK but always a bit samey. All is forgiven though as we indirectly have him to thank for the wonderful "Drums Suck" mix of "Airborne" by Carl Craig.

Agree with all points.

Tony
15-04-2004, 01:58 PM
did anyone remember that tune he played at skelter once called "bangin box" what a tune that was ;)

sorry dude, not a dis at all, but i'm trying to think how many tracks must have a 'bang the box' theme to them. i love that kind of vox drop, but i think theres been tonnes of trax with that ingredient. just made me chuckle thats all :-)

daviec
15-04-2004, 02:08 PM
I haven't heard Dave Angel since Homelands at Ayr one year. He was good then.

He used to do the screwdriver trick at Rezerections as well. Back then I was just listening to "rave" music, and the likes of him, rockliffe, and daz saund made a big impression, but these sort of dj's began to fade from the line-ups as hardcore took over.

It made me realise though just how long I've liked techno, before I realised :lol:

I've never really been a fan of his production though. :neutral:

The Overfiend
15-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Rotation has always been a good label for peak time club rockers, so his ear is well off. As far as production wise only thing I really liked from him was the remix on tortured. His sets are bit monotinous but he is still a contributor musically so I wont knock him , I don't know his ego and I havent been slapped in the face by him so I wont slag him for no reason.

death on a stick
15-04-2004, 02:51 PM
yeah **** hell, he must have had to take off the platter then all those screws underneath and then adjust the pitch and put it all togethor..! how the **** did he have time to do that? did he just put a cd on for 15 mins or somthing?!??
It's not difficult if you know what you're doing. I've had people opening and adjusting the decks between 2 mixes while I'm playing and there's been no interruption in the music.

Yea, theres a potentiometer (pot) under the platter. You can piss about with it to calibrate your decks. Its possible to change the 1210's from +/-8 up to +/-16.
Not quite as defined as that. You might be able to reach +16 but if you do you won't be getting -16 at the other end, and probably not -8 either. It's not exact and to really know what you're getting you need some measuring gear and some knowledge of what's going on with the calibration. All over my head. If your decks are going ga ga you can get them serviced and recalibrated. I'd advise not ****ing with them unless you know what's up.

Si the Sigh
15-04-2004, 03:00 PM
...I knew it was something along those lines! :lol: Like you said though, its not worth messing about with unless your a pro.

daviec
15-04-2004, 03:16 PM
I did it almost as soon as I got my decks :)

That was back in the hardcore days. Still work perfectly. I reckon it is about double. It doesn't affect the negative range. But the top row dots on the side of the platter are static under the strobe (indicating +6 exactly) at almost exactly +3.

Let's me play some of my slower stuff later on in a faster set. Very handy at times.

romelpotter
16-04-2004, 10:33 PM
a potentiomiter is the same as a normal gain or eq control the only difference is that you are controling the pitch of the deck at 33/45 as effecting the freq with a hi low or mid eq setting. i guess :?: ;)

daviec
17-04-2004, 09:00 AM
Yes, that's about right. There's no reason why it should have detrimental effect on the working order of the deck. I've marked mine where it was originally, so that I can turn it back if I need to.

subsonic
13-05-2004, 03:50 PM
dave is going to rock the dance floor at subsonica on the 11th june ;)

duncandisorderly
13-05-2004, 04:04 PM
it is really easy to adjust the decks to approx 16 percent plus/minus and really easy to readjust them. check it out...

http://www.massive.com/in_tune/technics_pitch.html

dd

278d7e64a374de26f==