PDA

View Full Version : COLLABORATIONS USING ACID

MARKEG
16-10-2002, 05:16 AM
OK, I really like this idea of collaboration. This idea is this. One person makes about 5 loops in ACID (4 bars). Export the loops and SAVE the ACD file. Then Zip it all up and e-mail it to someone who will open it up and then add some more loops. Then keep going vica versa until the loops are perfect.

I reckon you could do this between loads of people or just two who are on the same level. Then you both/all make your own mix using cub/log or whatever.... ie loads of mixes of the same track - done....

Please post your thoughts on this idea and your suggestions on what would be the easiest way to do this..... i use icq for quick file transfer but perhaps we could have a blackout audio upload site that everyone can access? please someone tell me how to do this on my server....

web of deception
16-10-2002, 05:43 AM
ive been telling people we should do that for a while, its good to see that other people are interested too. im down for trying it out, let me know.

aggressor
16-10-2002, 11:18 PM
hmmmmm..........

that sounds like a good idea!!!!!!!!!!

djTequila
11-07-2003, 02:22 PM
I had a more involved idea about this a while back. It needs work to set up, but this kind of forum could be a great starting point.

The idea is 'open source music'. There are programs around that keep track of program code and versioning, which are net-ready and could be twisted to contain libraries of wav files and loops instead of program code.

Acid is a great way to bind it all together - each project would contain one acid file, and various wavs. (Along with MIDI files to allow new instruments to be used.) If no Acid effects or automations are used, this could be pretty universal - all effects would be placed in separate recordings to allow a proper mixdown, or re-application if necessary.

Is Acid available for the Mac at all? If not, we'd have to think of something different. Zipped project-length wavs, perhaps (zipping will compress all the dead-space.)

The beauty of this is that these versioning programs allow branching, so if someone wants to take music in a different direction, a branch can be made to represent this. Presto, instant remixes! There's also a history, so if someone wants to work on something that's previously been changed, they can. (For example, to re-apply compression using a better processor).

The downside? We'd need lots of space on the server - and rules/systems in place to help avoid people just raping it for good loops. And good agreements made to cover what happens in the event of a release.

I don't have the time to do anything about this... Much as I'd love to. Anyone here have buckets of time and software skills?
:?
Tequila

Skarabex
11-07-2003, 06:39 PM
good idea mr.EG

count me in 8)

DJZeMig_L
11-07-2003, 07:50 PM
I don't have Acid anymore :oops: :?: :!:

I think it would b lots more manageable 2 get a sort of each one does his think... almost like remixing from a certain set of sounds, etc...

Or later with a finish track each 1 could do a mix.. for the pourpose of studing mixes or what ever..

Lots of different working methods, tastes and stuff.. seems rather more dificult 2 get a "universal track"...

Z

The Divide
12-07-2003, 02:48 AM
Yeah, thats a great idea. Why not Zip up some sounds and give let whoever have access to them. Then whatever happens from there is up to them. Or come up with some lil rules or whatever. Like DJ Ze MigL said it would be hard to have a universal sounding track. Well worth a try tho!

davethedrummer
12-07-2003, 12:50 PM
i'm into it!

Jimfish
14-07-2003, 11:00 AM
isnt there some 'rocket'? thing in cubase that lets you link up several peoples pcs/cubases over the net and work on trax? whats that all about??
(not that i have got an even vaguly good enuff connection, just curious)

DjRAraujo
15-07-2003, 01:54 AM
Yah wicked idea....

Im in !!!

If you guys need a place to host the loops, i can send you the infos...

Let me know !!

my email is djraraujo@hotmail.com

Rafael

MARKEG
15-07-2003, 02:30 AM
this is great - i'm working on something like this for the new site - a totally interactive way of making tracks... problem is i cant find sinner :( is he ok? does anyone know?

djTequila
18-07-2003, 05:11 PM
So what's this system you're working on, Mark?

I'm intrigued!
:)

Tequila

John Vella
22-07-2003, 07:25 AM
I can't get a hold of Sinner either!!

:(

No clue where he is!

-jOHNNY

John Vella
22-07-2003, 07:27 AM
P.S

I'd love to take part even tho I know its good for me to stop relying on Acid and learn bloody Cubase!!!!!!

-jOHNNY

Patrick DSP
22-07-2003, 09:52 AM
i'm all over that idea like a fat kid over a smartie.

Methodixxx
23-07-2003, 04:47 AM
This could come up with some really interesting results!! :twisted:

I'm in like flynn!

Adverse
23-07-2003, 05:50 AM
so somebody start a loop already.. zip it up and the next person can work on it. so on and so forth.

djTequila
23-07-2003, 11:12 AM
We need a site to upload stuff to...

Any offers?

I may have a little room on mine to start things off. I'll look into it...

Tequila

alpha_unit
28-07-2003, 01:48 PM
im a good friends of olly perris off nukleuz we chat on msn lots and this is how all his tunes with ashley sinclair are made, they make the loops in fl and then arranged in acid pro

alpha_unit
28-07-2003, 01:51 PM
im a good friends of olly perris off nukleuz we chat on msn lots and this is how all his tunes with ashley sinclair are made, they make the loops in fl and then arranged in acid pro

Jimfish
28-07-2003, 02:54 PM
i got some loops for one of you fannys... who wants em??

Bughead
28-07-2003, 05:04 PM
so are the posted on the website or wha? giz them so I can mash them...

Jimfish
28-07-2003, 05:19 PM
nope - i'll have to email em out i guess.

The Divide
28-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Cant organise a pissup in a brewery us lot then! hahaha

davethedrummer
28-07-2003, 10:56 PM
i'm gonna send an e-mail to ddr to see if we can use some space at the fab distribution website
i reckon we should all upload loops all download loops
write a track each and then post them up (somewhere)
everyone download all the tracks and try to agree an the best ones
then we'll go about putting them out
maybe a 4 track e.p.
i'm up for releasing it. i'm sure others of you will be too.
i'll get back with more info.

davethedrummer
28-07-2003, 10:59 PM
tell you what you guys
you could all start sending them here
drummer303@hotmail.com
i got a fair bit of space there
or
dave@truelove.co.uk
once i have what seems to be everything (we need a time restraint here)i could upload all of it at once that'll solve the password/security problem of admin clearance to the site.
what do you think???

DJZeMig_L
29-07-2003, 12:06 AM
let it rip! ;)

Z

The Divide
29-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Wouldnt it be goo to have a virtual private network of sounds and loops, absynth patches presets for shit. The technologys there, its a matter of would people be up for doing it. I would be happy to upload my own sounds preset banks for absynth and shit like onto a server if I knew I could d load ones back, most people change the sounds anyways. Although I am currently on 56K :( :(

The Divide
29-07-2003, 12:33 AM
So theres no point at all me thinking about it realy!! :cry: But gettin broadband soon yey!

Jimfish
29-07-2003, 08:42 AM
anyone object if i send em mp3? im on a well shit modem connection here the the stix... :cry:
ill do em at 196 tho..

Jimfish
29-07-2003, 08:43 AM
will (tyrisia) and i have allready done a collaboration as a result of the site - listen to it on the tunes page... :wink:

Jimfish
30-07-2003, 08:27 PM
jeez...come on dudes - check it out! whats the point in doing forum collaborations if nobody off the forum listens to it??

i dunno...all that hard work...bunch of cunts!! :wink:

DjRAraujo
31-07-2003, 10:49 AM
ok people.......i have some loops as well....
how this collaboration will be ??
is there any website that we all can upload and download the loops ???
and henry ?? do you really have that much space in your hotmail account ??? i thought hotmail provides only maximum 2 mega space.
all the best
Rafael Araujo

tell you what you guys
you could all start sending them here
drummer303@hotmail.com
i got a fair bit of space there
or
dave@truelove.co.uk
once i have what seems to be everything (we need a time restraint here)i could upload all of it at once that'll solve the password/security problem of admin clearance to the site.
what do you think???

Antinoise
04-09-2003, 12:09 AM
Ok.. I don’t know how I missed this post... hmmm.. Maybe it predated my young existence in this forum. I think this is a f***in great idea!!!!! It appears that its not gotten rolling though.

Here is the problem (as I see it). There is an idea without a structure . I think if we develop the format this could be a highly successful idea. I would like to take a roll in leading this charge. ….

Here are my thoughts:

1.I have several web friends that run big servers. I’m sure I can get a 500mb to 1G of space on a fast ftp site. That’s issue big issue #1. (Email doesn’t cut it)

2.If there are too many people it’s likely to be more of a hindrance than a help. I think we need to devise groups. Four, maybe 5 people per… and the track gets pushed around its own group.

3.Leaders!! We need team leaders.. Basically, Each group should have (at least) one accomplished producer as the captain and then maybe one or two people with just a release or on the verge of releasing… and then one or two others who are at the level of releasing in the near future (lets call them rookies). …

**Here is the thing… I think people who are at the beginner level and aren’t even sure what Acid or Cubase is … well then.. I think you need to work on music yourself until you feel you are at the level to enter the game. Its like if you just started to DJ.. Your not going to spin at a party until you mastered that shit in your bedroom. It also gives motivation to get better. (This is not meant to be elitist IN ANY WAY!!!! It’s just a reality. For this to work the flow has to be quick and the work to be interesting.) That brings me to the next point…

4. Timing has to be established. Each member of the team has say… 3 days to work on the track.. then… its handed off to the next guy.. Otherwise… once again.. The flow won’t work. If progress is not evident people will loose interest.

5. Each “Group” will have a separate folder on the server. You mainly work in your folder. However, if you want to go over to another folder and take sounds.. that’s cool.. You just can’t f**k with any of the other groups sequencing.

6. We could also establish naming formats so that each track (of the track) has the creators name applied to it. I’m sure we can tweak the rules like this as we get closer to getting this going. (Suggestions?.. Team leaders can also make up their own rules)

7. I have questions is how we make groups. Do we divide them into styles? Henry (funky hard), Mark (pounding hard)… etc.. . Or do we identify the leaders and the rest is just random draw. I vote for the styles divisions. That way, people are clear what type of track you’re making. We can always switch groups up every month or 2. Also…those who would be team leaders should make themselves known. The rest will probably fall into place from there.

8. I like the idea of using Acid.. It zips up nice and will work well. Cubase is an option too. Maybe the final mix is done in Cubase (or however the team leader descides)

So.. What do you guys think? Tell me now if I should f**k off and stop trying to lead this thing.. It’s just that I run crews of 50+ people for a living as a set designer and this is just what I do. (Not to mention this thread is coming on a year old!!!!) Slackers!! HAHAHA

I’m out of town till Sept 11th. When I get back I can get the server up.... I see no reason (besides too much pot smoking) that we can’t be started my mid Sept………….

Thoughts?

Adverse
04-09-2003, 12:25 AM
hahahaha spearhead! let's do this.

*antinoise is my doing* *proud*

Antinoise
04-09-2003, 12:29 AM
The leaders could pick the group themselves.. Like a good old fashion game of street hockey!!!!

New teams/groups will picked every few months... By tracks being named by the sound creator.. the stars will emerge over a few rounds. Then they will be picked first the next round (and the other slacker picked last..). A draft!!

I like this idea... Overall.. the more power we put with the team leaders, the less anarchy will happen. (And don’t give me any bullshit about anarchy is good you techno bastards.. .. nothing gets done..)

The Overfiend
04-09-2003, 05:25 AM
I'm with it 210%

djTequila
04-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Sounds good to me!

Who whats to lead then? Eh?

T*

Jimfish
04-09-2003, 02:24 PM
And don’t give me any bullshit about anarchy is good you techno bastards.. .. nothing gets done..)

Jimfish
04-09-2003, 02:25 PM
oops , that last post was meant to then say: hahahahahaha!

Jimfish
04-09-2003, 02:26 PM
oh wow! an edit button!

The Overfiend
04-09-2003, 02:30 PM
So what's the score whats the game plan

The Divide
04-09-2003, 02:34 PM
:shock: Suddenly the post comes back to life

The Divide
04-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Hey this could be a killer idea you know.

So many differant poeple working the same tune

Why not just post up a zip file of loops and sounds and let everone download the whole lot.

Its not exactly pass the parcel production/colaberations but its basically giving everone a chance to do there own mix of something.

just an idea, ive seen this somewhere else on the net

F

The Overfiend
04-09-2003, 02:43 PM
as long as everything is in wav format that sounds like the best idea to date.

oye bro
ta heavy loco

Adverse
04-09-2003, 04:16 PM
And don’t give me any bullshit about anarchy is good you techno bastards.. .. nothing gets done..)

lol, that's telling them!

Antinoise
05-09-2003, 03:41 AM
So what's the score what’s the game plan

Sit tight till the 11th when i get back to town. I can put the plan into action then. Meanwhile.. keep the thread open with suggestions to format and stuff..

Hopefully between now and then a few people will step up to the plate to be group leaders. If not.. fuk em.. We can pound this shit ourselves. From the current responses we are at about one group at this point.

ICQ me if anyone wants to chat about it.. .. (However im going to pretty much offline till 11th)

-Greg

Jimfish
05-09-2003, 09:23 AM
ya, one other thing is we all need to be working the same versions, and have the same plugins installed..

May i suggest everyone gets a version of:

ACID 3 (4 is shakey imo)
waves platinum pack 3.5
newsest TC native packs

and erm, well thats it really.. ;)

massplanck
08-09-2003, 07:48 PM
ya, one other thing is we all need to be working the same versions, and have the same plugins installed..

May i suggest everyone gets a version of:

ACID 3 (4 is shakey imo)
waves platinum pack 3.5
newsest TC native packs

and erm, well thats it really.. ;)

I was just about to say that.... homegenous setup needed. Also it may sound stupid but it may be a bad idea lumping a P3 550Mhz man in with a 3Ghz superhuman. For fear of PC meltdown when playing back tracks. :)

I like the 3 day rule alot.

So lets keep this movin...

dirty_bass
09-09-2003, 02:14 AM
Well I`m in, when? where? etc

Arse Biscuits

Steve D-Bass

DJZeMig_L
09-09-2003, 02:17 AM
Think audio is probably better .. or maybe just the midi!

Acid totally put's me out of the contest! :(

Z

Basil Rush
11-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Think audio is probably better .. or maybe just the midi!

Acid totally put's me out of the contest! :(

Z

haha, maybe you and I should start a wav group then :) bloody mac's not compatible with anyone!

Orange
11-09-2003, 07:20 PM
How about mac users as a group in and of themselves? Decide on software (logic, live, whatever) and go.

Adverse
11-09-2003, 09:18 PM
i'm not down with acid.

Jimfish
11-09-2003, 09:34 PM
yeah, acid is gonna be plop, but its the easiest to cross files between - not too complicated..

Antinoise
20-09-2003, 01:10 AM
Alright gentleman...

I apologize for getting the excitement going and then disappearing for a few weeks.. (Out of town and busy with a few things..)

Anyway.. Let get it going.. THE FTP IS SETUP!! Now all that’s left is to decided and finalize the parameters.

The Programs:

From the feedback I recon we are agreed that we need to drop acid (pun intended!).. I guess we form a divide where you chose either Logic (6) or Cubase (SX 1). This will make it a better product in the end anyway.

* I guess we could also form an Acid group if it was so demanded.

Plugins:

Plug-in compatibility is an issue. I think the only solution that will work long term is to render audio flat with efx included unless you are using efx native to the program. If everyone had the waves native bundle that would be a good standard.. .. but I’m not going to start sending out copies. So let’s stick to the native plugins or rendered 3rd party.

Saving/Exporting:

We need to be careful to package the file carefully as not to leave files out. I’m not sure how its done in Logic.. but in Cubase… When you are done.. “Save Project To a New Folder..”. Check Minimize audio; Freeze Edits; and Remove Unused Files so that the file size does not get out of hand. Then zip that folder.. I just did this to a project of mine.. (Folder was 75mb.. zipped to 33mb.. so that’s what we are dealing with!! It will be less in the early 8 bar looping process)

A further note of saving.. Each time you save a zip.. save it up a #.. (I.E.. GroupA 1.zip…> . download..> modify…> then Upload > GroupA 2.zip…..and so on).. That way we can always backtrack if something goes wrong.

Time:

I suggested before that each person has 3 days. I say make it even less.. Two days max!. If you don’t have time, too bad. The train can’t stop; your turn will be back around before you know it. That way.. In a group of 4.. you are getting the track about once a week.

Well.. There it is. Now all that’s left is forming groups. I’m not giving out the ftp public. To sign up.. msg me and ill give you the details. Then when you msg me.. tell me:

Platform: (Logic, Cubase, Acid)
Techno Prefrence: (Punishing, Hard, Funky, Dark… etc)

My hope is that the groups will work itself out through preference divides. The goal is groups of 4. Hit the PM mgn link below to sign up.. or add me to icq.aim.. etc.. (dont email me to any of these because i dont check them... instant message or blackout pm only!)

Other Rules:

Scroll back to my first posts on pg 3

Lets give a registration deadline – 1 week from now END OF DAY; FRIDAY SEPT 26th. Then I'll see what we got over that weekend and hopefully the grouping thing works out. You can always join later, we just got to get this bitch movin!!!

LETS GO!!!!

-G

Col
27-09-2003, 05:08 PM
would it be a problem with me using cubase 5, i guess i could work with acid, although i detest the program.

another thing i just need clearing up, one person starts with a few loops, say 64 bars. it is then up to the next person to take the track further, right? say another 64 bars, adding more loops right?

Antinoise
28-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Emmmm... no need dealing in old technology here.. Its already been hard enough to get people to step up to the plate. Making them have to deal with a weird conversion back to V5 cubase is not a welcome bump in the road.

We can start a V5 cuabse group if you like. However, to this point.. you would be the only person in that group.

I dont want to be the killjoy.. but I'm all about making this thing take off.. and not about stunting its growth.

Col
28-09-2003, 03:35 PM
ok mate i can appreciate that. i think i'll knock it on the head for now, i look to upgrade to sx in the very near future though, and maybe if this all goes well it will come around again. (unless their is a sudden surge of cubase 5 users of course)

The Divide
29-09-2003, 05:16 PM
I think this ideas going nowhere fast, why dont someone just upload a load of samples, singlys and loops and let everyone do there own thing???

Just an idea, kinda like every track will be a rmx of the other but each with the artists individual touch

The Overfiend
29-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Not a bad idea. Wavs please.

The Divide
29-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Alright man, wait till i get broadband and i will put my internet connection where my mouth is and upload a zip file of sounds onto my server, give me a few weeks/upto a month and its done. Infact if it takes off I will be quite chuffed loads of differant peoples ideas and tracks/styles come together. hmmmm Yeah ok I swear I will do this is, if it doesnt take off then no biggie and also plenty of free samples for everyone!! :rambo: Single hits do?? I could do some exmaple loops or something, i dunno just to get the ball rolling. Hey u never know, this could become realy a big part of the forum, theres plenty of artists on here and loads of people seem up 4 it. :rambo: My fast connection is on its way, just waiting for the modem to come

The Divide
29-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Oh and watch this space, Hasta la vista muther ****ers

The Overfiend
30-09-2003, 12:15 AM
Oh and watch this space, Hasta la vista muther ****

lol asta luego

Keep it comin champ!

Debroglie
21-04-2004, 07:45 PM
"Musicians, Today, if they're clever, put new compositions out on the web, like pies set to cool on a window ledge , and wait for other people to anonymously rework them. Ten will be all wrong , but the eleventh may be genius. And free. It's as though the creative process is no longer contained within an individual skull, if indeed it ever was. Everything, today, is to some ex-tent the reflection of something else"

William Gibson.
Pattern Recognition
page. 70

The Divide
21-04-2004, 07:51 PM
:oops: :oops: :oops:

I had forgotten all about this thread :lol:

mindgame
27-06-2004, 06:21 AM
kool idea..did this ever happen??

278d7e64a374de26f==