PDA

View Full Version : a start...

alton
19-02-2003, 08:15 PM
right, I would really appreciate some advice from you guys... (there seems to be a lot of knowledgable people on this board)...

I'm wanting to buy some hardware for writing techno...I've been using reason for about 12 months...and have a good understanding of how to get some decent results out of it...but now I want to get some kit and take things a bit more seriously...so, what would you guys recommend?

my initial budget is £1000-£1500 (is that enough to make a start towards a reasonable set up?) (i've been looking at the adverts on the sound on sound website)...I'm wanting to build up a studio over time...so what could I start with...?

Cheers

Alton

Jimfish
19-02-2003, 08:30 PM
what do you have so far???
list everything...
ie. speakers, amp, computer, mixer, soundcard....

yes, it can be enough at a squeeze...depending on what youve already got...

oh, one thing i can advise you to do without further info:

there is an electrix filter factory on there for the bargain price of 100 scroats.......BUY IT NOW! an outboard filter is an invaluable tool, and that is a ****in goodun....and ****in cheap....

Jimfish
19-02-2003, 08:41 PM
basicallyy i would say the other things you will need are:

active monitors (ideally) - 300
small mackie mixer - 400
8 output soundcard - 300
midi keyboard - 80
filter unit - 100
aphex 109 eq - 100
cables - 50

sampling, seqeuncing & synthesis can all be done in cubase/logic....

but everyone has a diferent approach....this is just what i would do with that budget....

eyes without a face
19-02-2003, 09:03 PM
im just starting to get some gear together, starting with my PC which i got about 4 months ago now, 2.4ghz pentium, 120 gig HD, 512mb DDRAM, its a daddy basically. getting Samson Servo 170 amp and Spirit Absolute 2's in about 3 weeks, getting a midi keyboard but not sure which to get, probably get the evolution.

its expensive starting out haha

alton
19-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks Jimfish, will get onto the filter factory straight away...

My PC is a 1GB Athlon with 128MB RAM and a Soundblaster Live! 1024...I have only hi-fi speakers and a hi-fi amp...

not too hot...

Davephall
05-03-2003, 02:30 AM
I reckon that anyone using reason should get a dedicated midi controller before they get anything else. It really allows you to get the most out of the software having some knobs to tweak. There's loads of them about, with either knobs or faders on. Try and get one thats ready set up for reason, should work with any other software you have, and hardware synths that are menu driven too.

278d7e64a374de26f==